P700 700 wont go into drive....transmission gone?

B

bamabum

Jul 1, 2016
Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Alan....I may have done a "crank and go" a time or two early on, but don't do that and yesterday, after not engaging and then engaging, I was riding down the road at mild/moderate acceleration and the engine suddenly raced up like it was in neutral. I think it was at a shift point (around 18mph) but not certain...it had never done that before, so was a surprise and my reaction was to get off the gas. Then it went the rest of the ride without incident. I love to learn that there's an adjustment that would eliminate this issue.

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Finally got into it.....the linkage is hooked up and operating. I tried the emergency drive overriding it into 2nd gear and still nothing. I did notice that when you put it into drive it idles up for a couple seconds and then goes back down and the same in reverse. I have it up off the ground on jack stands so when I was trying to check the 2nd gear drive I was giving it some gas....it revved up no problem but when I let off the gas it clunked and stalled pretty much like it did the first time when it quit working.....is it possible something came off internally that's making it stall as it revs down? Checking the service manual to figure out how to check the oil pressure, have her pretty much torn apart for ease of access. Will update as I go

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok so I had to make a adapter to get my pressure tester to work with the 8mm thread at the test port.....and no pressure at all. So does that show the pump is shot or is there anything else that could be the culprit?
And if so is this something I can do in the shop myself or should I let someone else do it. I've been wrenching of farm equipment and my vehicles for a long time, have a shop full of tools and some time on my hands with the stay at home notice. I know my local Honda dealerships are closed so probably could get one of their guys to do it pretty cheap now tho and put some cash in their pockets.
What do you guys think?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok so I had to make a adapter to get my pressure tester to work with the 8mm thread at the test port.....and no pressure at all. So does that show the pump is shot or is there anything else that could be the culprit?
And if so is this something I can do in the shop myself or should I let someone else do it. I've been wrenching of farm equipment and my vehicles for a long time, have a shop full of tools and some time on my hands with the stay at home notice. I know my local Honda dealerships are closed so probably could get one of their guys to do it pretty cheap now tho and put some cash in their pockets.
What do you guys think?
Geez...I mean to tell you a few posts ago not to run it until you check the pressure. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the engine.

My experience (which isn't Motorsports) is that a pump rarely goes to 0 pressure without catastrophic failure. Even a stuck relief valve will usually provide some pressure.
I'd guess the that if it's chain driven (I don't recall on the 700), the chain broke or jumped off.

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm pretty sure it is a chain drive pump from what I can tell in the service manual. I ran it for a minute just to check the pressure....it sounds fine while its running so hopefully no damage internally.....it did stall when I let off the gas to rev it up tho dammit. I don't know if the motor relies on pressure to lubricate it or if it's just for the transmission to operate.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm pretty sure it is a chain drive pump from what I can tell in the service manual. I ran it for a minute just to check the pressure....it sounds fine while its running so hopefully no damage internally.....it did stall when I let off the gas to rev it up tho dammit. I don't know if the motor relies on pressure to lubricate it or if it's just for the transmission to operate.
Don't know that either. Maybe @HondaTech will chime.
If I recall, I think the water pump is directly driven off the back of the oil pump (through the case, obviously). So a quick check before splitting things could be to pull the water pump and watch the shaft (or pull a hose and watch the impeller).

H

HondaTech

The oil pump in these is a 3 rotor pump, and covers the enigne and trans oil pressure.

There are different places to check trans and engine pressures. Then there are also clutch pressure checks as well.

They are a chain driven pump and it also drives the water pump.

I did have a Big Red not that long ago that had a clogged pickup screen and wouldnt pick up any oil and build pressure. Unfortunately, to replace or clean the screen the cases have to be split.

otis_campbell

otis_campbell

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2020
Thumb of the mitten
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ahhhh thanks HondaTech….when going thru the service manual I saw the place to check for engine oil pressure that was pretty much right under the drivers side seat on the upper part of the motor....knew that was way to easy. Is the check of the impeller that DGRider is talking about an easy way to verify? Where are the other places to check or what are they called so I can look them up in the manual?

J

JPA2002

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2021
Daleville, VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am having the same issue, what did you find? I highly suspect the oil pump chain. I did have a rubicon not long ago that had broken the oil pump shaft due to a piece of metal getting into the pump and locking it up. I am pretty sure it was factory casting and it was paper thin.

Let me know what you found before I tear the front crankcase cover off of this P700.

Jon

W

warren m

Jul 30, 2021
ca
Ownership

1. 700-4
Interesting to hear. I have a 2014 p700, same issue. Sucked up some dirt over time and had to bore it out. Got it put back together, ran better then ever. After bout 50 hrs on it put it in gear and would not go at all, and temp light came on. Long story short got the engine out and sure enough the oil pump chain was off. Got a new chain and gear ordered. Hoping that is going to fix the problem. Will find out. Thought it was something i did, but seems like it happens. Warren

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!