8 ply tires vs. 6 ply?

J

jwilliams3

Nov 12, 2013
I am fairly new to SXS. Picked up my camo 700-4 last week. I was reading about tires and thinking if 8 ply tires are more puncture resistant and better load rating that it would be a no brainer to put on the SXS. What are the downsides vs. installing 6 ply ? I do not intend to do severe off roading, just trail riding (beginners and intermediate).

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You said it best.
Durability is the #1 reason to choose 8ply.
Downsides are.
- Extra weight. But not really that much.
- less tire options.

Most people pick a 6 ply tire.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
there is alittle more to the 6ply-8ply rating it depends on the manufacturer of the tires example is the sedona rip saw tires are rated 6 ply but the plies are alot heavier than a 6 ply maxxis bighorn some 6ply rated tires are alot heavier duty than 8ply tires it all depends on the tire brand

J

jwilliams3

Nov 12, 2013
There isn't much information about tires unless you read it off the side of the tires. I guess I would have to call whoever I buy them from and rely on their knowledge. I have read the reviews of some tires I looked at but they are usually mixed . I was looking at STI roctane XD if anyone knows if they are top notch or what you would consider worth investing in.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
sti roctane tires are good tires they are heavy heavy duty very strong sidewalls they should be great on the pioneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!