Abnormal Underseat Roaring

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Help needed! I have a 2014 700-4 with approximately 710 miles. A couple of days ago I noticed an abnormal noise under the seat and thought it might be a shield loose or something similar but haven't found anything loose yet. It only does it when you get around 22-25 mph. I jacked all fours up and it does the same thing at the same speeds. Anyone had any similar problems? I think it's something in the drive train but not for sure.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey, check the skid plate. Is it bent up any? Mine was and made a similar sound until I fixed it. It does sound like a viberation sound. Only happening at "x" speed.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Ok will do. I haven't taken it in yet for the skid plate recall so maybe that's what it is. That would be awesome if it was.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Is it motor sound or drivetrain? Make sure the valves are adjusted...... The Honda motor should be good.... Is it a noisy rear end? You'll get gear noise from the rear end when it is not under load... I went to 85-140wt synthetic lucas gear oil in the both the front and rear diffs and it cut the noise down dramatically. Check for rocks and debri under the motor to skid plate area also.

Reactions: ohanacreek
jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I've looked all over and haven't found a thing. The noise is similar to the rear diff noise but louder with more vibration only at speeds around 22-25 mph. I thought it might be my trailer hitch, took it out and still the same. Jacked it up and replicated the speeds in 2 & 4 wd and still the same. Checked the front and rear diffs and levels are proper. When going down the road it almost sounds like it's coming from the front chunk. I bought the lifetime warranty on the engine and transmission, guess I'm bout to see how good it is.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Never heard of the lifetime warranty, now that is long term - is that something the dealer himself offers or is it through Honda? Hopefully this will be an easy fix for you!

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Yes, the dealer offered it when I purchased new. It's only for the original owner and doesn't transfer to the next owner if sold. However, any service work done has to be honda fluids/parts or it will void the warranty. I was thinking about it last night and remembered a stick coming up through the skid plate while riding, reckon it might have warped the front drive shaft?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
one wouldn't think a bent driveshaft would make much noise, I would think it would make it vibrate. You could always jack it backup and put in gear and look at the shafts while someone gives it some gas.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Yes, I agree with you. Was out riding yesterday with the family and it only does it when your cruising at 22-25 mph. When I'm by myself I rarely go that speed, usually really slow or really fast. My wife is the one that noticed it and brought to my attention. I'm hoping to take to the dealer and let them check it out when I have time. Gonna keep on driving and see what happens. Maybe just needs to be coated with mud and it might stop. Lol

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
If nothing else it will make you feel better!

advertisement
jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Finally figured out my problem, it was a loose stick stopper on the front right a arm. Relieved to know that it wasn't in the tranny! Thanks everyone on the input!

Reactions: scott
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Its a honda,what else could it be

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!