P700 Abnormal sound when barely pressing pedal

B

Beckastan

Jun 10, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I tried to look through the forums but couldn't find anything like my issue. Basically if I'm going downhill it sounds like something internal is rattling only if I barely press the pedal. If I let off the pedal or press it fully then I won't hear any sound? My diffs are fine and clean, oil is topped off and changed at 100 miles. I currently have 300 miles. Also, it makes this snapping sound internal if I do a quick stop.

Reactions: swsebek
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I tried to look through the forums but couldn't find anything like my issue. Basically if I'm going downhill it sounds like something internal is rattling only if I barely press the pedal. If I let off the pedal or press it fully then I won't hear any sound? My diffs are fine and clean, oil is topped off and changed at 100 miles. I currently have 300 miles. Also, it makes this snapping sound internal if I do a quick stop.

The brake pedal?

If it is the brake pedal it is your rear brake chattering. It has a brake rotor on the drive shaft and it will chatter like that at times.

My Honda Rincon used to do the same thing. (I live on a hill and had to use the brakes all the time)

It is normal.

If you are talking about the gas pedal, I have no ideal.

Reactions: trigger and swsebek
B

Beckastan

Jun 10, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah the sound is only downhill and barely pressing the gas pedal. Downhill foot off gas there's no sound. I'm totally lost.

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep rear brake shoes chattering....In thebeggining it drove me nuts

Gets better over time.
Honda should have gave independent rear brakes

Reactions: trigger
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah the sound is only downhill and barely pressing the gas pedal. Downhill foot off gas there's no sound. I'm totally lost.

The only think I could think of is maybe some backlash (slack) in the drive train somewhere maybe?

If you are going downhill and barely giving it gas the gaps between the drive train components may be clacking together as it goes from being loaded by engine braking to being loaded by throttle. There has to be some slack in there for it to work so maybe that is what you are hearing?

My old 99 Silverado had an auto locking rear diff and it would have some rattle when it was not under a load. Like when you were giving it gas but it was not really under a load.

Otherwise I am not sure. If it bothers you and you can repeatedly recreate it, I would take it to the dealer if it isn't too far out of your way.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Mine does the same thing they told me it was normal for these smaller rear ends iv got 3000 hard miles no problem out of it hardly notice it anymore

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've noticed it on the 500 as well. Same thing, when not on the throttle but not gearing down either, sounds like a chain rattling in the rear end. Concerned me when I first heard it but now I'm just kind of getting used to it.

Reactions: Little_g
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
It has to do with how Honda designed and built the rear ends in our machines. IIRC they are square cut gears in the rear instead of a hypoid gear set. They are louder, but MUCH stronger than a hypoid. It concerned me originally when I heard it, but after doing some digging and learning of the square cut gears, i'd gladly take the increased strength for a bit of noise. YMMV

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've noticed it on the 500 as well. Same thing, when not on the throttle but not gearing down either, sounds like a chain rattling in the rear end. Concerned me when I first heard it but now I'm just kind of getting used to it.
Same exact thing I've heard on both of my 500s. Really worried me at first but I don't even notice it anymore.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!