PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have not tried those but other molded tires. From my experience...
  • Molded paddle tires are mediocre at best. They don't flex much and are generally heavy and weight is everything when it comes to paddles, especially on an underpowered machine like a Talon. Claiming "Lightweight" without quoting actual weight is a red flag. Can you find out what the tires and rims actually weigh? If they are more than 32 lbs (tire and rim together) then they are too heavy.
  • Those tires have 16 1" paddles. A stock Talon probably will not push that much tire. It even says in the description "The rear tire has been strictly developed by our team to handle extreme horsepower. You might be able to use them if your machine has a turbo.
  • The rim offsets are suspect. They mention -38mm in the Q&A and that is probably the rear. This is going to be REAL hard on the bearings.
  • Buffed tires with bonded paddles (like Skat Traks) are far superior. My 30X13.5X14 10 paddle on DWT wheels weigh 31 lbs total and the 30X11.5X14 front buffs on DWT wheels weigh 29 lbs. I would hazard to guess those Pro Armor paddles weigh close to 30 lbs by themselves without a rim. Those tires will rob a lot of power and the Talon has none to spare. Once you try some Skats, you will never try anything else. They are expensive but well worth it (if you can fond any to buy that is).

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
BTW, of those rear wheels are really -38 offset you will be about 77" wide!!! That is 9" wider than stock.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I found the specs on those wheels. They are 15X8 -4mm front and 15X10 -30mm rear.

So, that tire and wheel combo will widen you up a lot. 75" up front and 77" in the rear.

Reactions: Hometeam
tanks

tanks

Jun 8, 2021
CA
Hi Paul! I have read a lot of your tire advice across a lot of threads. Thank you sommuch for chiming in! I will re-evaluate that then. That is certainly a LOT wider. I def didn’t read carefully enough. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Montecresto
tanks

tanks

Jun 8, 2021
CA
So I am a little lost. I had never heard of this 5+2 or 6+1 thing. I had always just heard it as offset And it seems in the Sxs world it varies. Is there somewhere that yall recommend shopping online that has the specs laid out a little clearer?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So I am a little lost. I had never heard of this 5+2 or 6+1 thing. I had always just heard it as offset And it seems in the Sxs world it varies. Is there somewhere that yall recommend shopping online that has the specs laid out a little clearer?
I bought most my wheels and tires from Plantsxs. A lot of them have the mm offset but it's in the smaller print. But there sadly isn't really a standard when the 5+2, 6+1, 4+3 measurements are used as I have one set 5+2 that is a +38 and one set that's more a +10 (can't remember off the top of my head). Makes it a pain. I always double check the manufacturers website to verify offsets. Sorry that's not much help!!(

Reactions: tanks
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like @Hometeam said (and I have repeated over and over), the X+Y measurement is utter garbage. It basically give you an idea if the wheel is positive offset (like a 5+2) near 0 offset (like a 3.5+3.5) or negative offset (like a 2+5) but they all just round the figures and some manufacturers are quite liberal.

I have seen anywhere from +10 to +40 be called a 5+2 (which if were exact a 5+2 would be +38.5mm). A +10 is actually 3.9+3.1 which rounded is quite close to a 4+3 but is a far cry from 5+2.

Reactions: Smitty335 and tanks
F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
Hey there. Looking at pulling the trigger for this set of sand tires and wheels to throw on for the beach. Any real world opinions about this setup they are offering as a package?

Id like to be near factory width* and don’t want to run spacers.

Thanks in advance!!
Not sure what your definition of “the beach” is, but you may not need paddles and can save some money.
I have a 2021 1000R live valve and will give you a couple of extremes.
I spent about 3 weeks in the Oregon dunes last summer running the stock tires with the stock motor and could go anywhere.
I’m currently in Glamis running a combo mini paddle and ribbed tire up front with a 10 paddle tire on the rear mounted on bead-lock wheels at about 8 PSI with a Jackson Racing Turbo on my motor.
So which beach and how hard you want to play will dictate what equipment you need.

tanks

tanks

Jun 8, 2021
CA
Not sure what your definition of “the beach” is, but you may not need paddles and can save some money.
I have a 2021 1000R live valve and will give you a couple of extremes.
I spent about 3 weeks in the Oregon dunes last summer running the stock tires with the stock motor and could go anywhere.
I’m currently in Glamis running a combo mini paddle and ribbed tire up front with a 10 paddle tire on the rear mounted on bead-lock wheels at about 8 PSI with a Jackson Racing Turbo on my motor.
So which beach and how hard you want to play will dictate what equipment you need.
Hey there! The want for paddles actually arose from being up at Coos Bay but we go to Pismo and it is very soft sand in places. We have run the stock motor and wheel/tire combo now for a year or so and have decided we really want some paddles especially after getting stck pretty basly at one point in a place we wouldve had no problem on paddles. We do like to play pretty hard. 🤷🏻‍♂️ What setup did you go with?

Reactions: toddvdh
F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
In the picture you can see what I have on my Talon. However, they are wider than stock. Which I think is a good thing for running the sand dunes.
If you like I can do some actual measurements and take more pictures the next time I go out to Glamis.

F8148D14 DFE6 42F0 8DA9 3DABAA24FC73

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Along the same subject - I have a chance to get a full set of CST Sandblast tires at a very good price. They came off a can am and are 14" 4+3 wheels. (no idea of the actual mm offset). ITP SS wheels. Has anyone had any issues with clearance on a Talon R with wider tires in a 14? I have read before that I may need to file a caliper or something to clear. Thoughts? TX!

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Along the same subject - I have a chance to get a full set of CST Sandblast tires at a very good price. They came off a can am and are 14" 4+3 wheels. (no idea of the actual mm offset). ITP SS wheels. Has anyone had any issues with clearance on a Talon R with wider tires in a 14? I have read before that I may need to file a caliper or something to clear. Thoughts? TX! View attachment 320882
Bet ITP would know the actual MM offset is on 4 + 3's

Dunegod

Dunegod

Mar 8, 2019
Mesa Az
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a set of 30” Extreme 10 paddles and buffed fronts for sale. Mounted on Douglas polished aluminum wheels (14x8 and 14x10). I’m in the Phoenix area.

$1500 for the set

0E9E3868 A7DB 4BC5 86C4 FA1B19DE4C12

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!