Added a Talon

A

Acmech1

Oct 10, 2020
El Reno, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I added a Talon today. Looks in very good condition. Window nets are missing, and I would like to find a set. Want to add seat harnesses as well. What are the must do or have’s with these?

IMG 7097

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hondas are supposed to be red. 😍

You're off to a good start with mirrors and windshield. I'm usually solo, so I had the dealer install a winch before I picked it up. Larger tires when you wear out the stockers. I'm pretty much limited to 30" because of my extreme altitudes but 32's are also common for you flatlanders.

Snorkel is pretty much mandatory, a favorite is available through 10-80 Sports, a vendor here. There's also a do it yourself photo essay in the thread linked below of another option.

Check out the New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check thread, it's linked in my sig and a stickie in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum. There are many posts that will teach you what NOT TO DO.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I added a Talon today. Looks in very good condition. Window nets are missing, and I would like to find a set. Want to add seat harnesses as well. What are the must do or have’s with these?

View attachment 403188
awesome.........at least u got the high HP red model!!!!!

unless suspension has been done, revalve\springs is a first in my mind

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
awesome.........at least u got the high HP red model!!!!!

unless suspension has been done, revalve\springs is a first in my mind
While I don't disagree that any buggy will benefit from suspension revalving, the R is 'somewhat' better than the X. I'm still stock at 11,500 miles in my R. If you ride like your hair's on fire, the stock R is 'good enough' IMO. The quicker I ride, the better it works.

If you aren't backing it into the corners, you can unhook the swaybar for a noticeable improvement in ride quality. Note that if you choose to do that (simple to do as an experiment) you have to undo both links on the R and tie the SB up or it will hit the upper trailing arm.

Lower tire pressures help quite a bit also - spec'd at ~15, I'm running 9 F, 10 R. McCarthy ran 8 with his stock, non beadlock, wheels and never had a problem. I got uncomfortable below 12 F/R with stock wheels because I always seem to come down hard on one corner during any given day ride.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
A

Acmech1

Oct 10, 2020
El Reno, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hondas are supposed to be red. 😍

You're off to a good start with mirrors and windshield. I'm usually solo, so I had the dealer install a winch before I picked it up. Larger tires when you wear out the stockers. I'm pretty much limited to 30" because of my extreme altitudes but 32's are also common for you flatlanders.

Snorkel is pretty much mandatory, a favorite is available through 10-80 Sports, a vendor here. There's also a do it yourself photo essay in the thread linked below of another option.

Check out the New Talon Owners - First Things to Know and Check thread, it's linked in my sig and a stickie in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum. There are many posts that will teach you what NOT TO DO.

Thank you for that.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Before you dump a bunch of $ buying things folks offer and redoing things Honda may not have done well, I'd suggest adding fuel and seat time while digesting everything you can find here on the forums. I wish had done more of that with my P1K5 - I would have made some different choices and/or wouldn't have installed some things that turned out to be unnecessary or not worth the time/cost/effort. I approached farkling my '23 Talon R2LV much differently thanks to what I learned.

IMHO, the only real "must haves" are a full skid plate (the OEM stuff is pretty weak), a winch (if you ride alone and in difficult terrain), some sort of windshield (which you have), and (for the Talon) a pre-filter kit from 10-80 Dirt Sports. If you ride at night, a decent LED light is a good idea. If you ride in a lot of muddy areas, check out Mudbusters.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
While I don't disagree that any buggy will benefit from suspension revalving, the R is 'somewhat' better than the X. I'm still stock at 11,500 miles in my R. If you ride like your hair's on fire, the stock R is 'good enough' IMO. The quicker I ride, the better it works.

If you aren't backing it into the corners, you can unhook the swaybar for a noticeable improvement in ride quality. Note that if you choose to do that (simple to do as an experiment) you have to undo both links on the R and tie the SB up or it will hit the upper trailing arm.

Lower tire pressures help quite a bit also - spec'd at ~15, I'm running 9 F, 10 R. McCarthy ran 8 with his stock, non beadlock, wheels and never had a problem. I got uncomfortable below 12 F/R with stock wheels because I always seem to come down hard on one corner during any given day ride.
forum shamed - lol!!!

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
forum shamed - lol!!!
Not trying to be as mean to U as Remington was to me :p but suspension work is a ~$1500 rabbit hole that's less 'necessary' on an R than on an X. Just my opinion and everybody has one. You see Talons from an X point of view and I see them from an R. My reading has led me to believe that's there quite a difference between the two.

Reactions: Scoop
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Not trying to be as mean to U as Remington was to me :p but suspension work is a ~$1500 rabbit hole that's less 'necessary' on an R than on an X. Just my opinion and everybody has one. You see Talons from an X point of view and I see them from an R. My reading has led me to believe that's there quite a difference between the two.
lol - all good, don’t need glitter, glue, safe space and a huggy. 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
lol - all good, don’t need glitter, glue, safe space and a huggy. 😂.
Actually I was incorrect, posted about another machine and was wrong

A

Acmech1

Oct 10, 2020
El Reno, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Before you dump a bunch of $ buying things folks offer and redoing things Honda may not have done well, I'd suggest adding fuel and seat time while digesting everything you can find here on the forums. I wish had done more of that with my P1K5 - I would have made some different choices and/or wouldn't have installed some things that turned out to be unnecessary or not worth the time/cost/effort. I approached farkling my '23 Talon R2LV much differently thanks to what I learned.

IMHO, the only real "must haves" are a full skid plate (the OEM stuff is pretty weak), a winch (if you ride alone and in difficult terrain), some sort of windshield (which you have), and (for the Talon) a pre-filter kit from 10-80 Dirt Sports. If you ride at night, a decent LED light is a good idea. If you ride in a lot of muddy areas, check out Mudbusters.
I agree. I spent a lot of unnecessary money and time on my P1K5, outfitted my brothers for a lot less money and got it done quick. To add insult to injury, his came out nicer, besides cheaper.

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!