highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've been looking into purchasing a 3D scanner for my business for months now. The first option was an Einscan but at $7200 a pop that quickly got culled! I looked and looked until I found this Revopoint POP 3D scanner. If i works as advertised this will help me with modeling new parts quicker, especially curved parts. We use similar technology at my day job with a Faro laser scanner. That bad boy was about $70k and meant to scan entire refinery units. I'm very familiar with using the 3d scans in Autocad so designing parts should be fairly easy with this technology. Once I receive this and get some scans completed, I'll post some pics.

Mixed reviews on the app use. I certainly hope they have worked out the bugs or I'll be returning this.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
First day of use on 9-11-21 was not promising. App crashed repeatedly while scanning and the scans would randomly rotate while scanning. Support said to connect phone to power supply while scanning. Tried that and the app did not crash one time! However, it did take a few tries to get a good scan. Exported as obj file type and imported into Fusion 360 with no issues. The successful scan was a small one but worked and had great detail. Now I need to move on to larger area scans.

These scanners are basically made to scan objects to be 3d printed. The files are intended to be exported as a closed 3d object. My purpose is different in that I'm scanning areas for new objects to fit into. I need to record the available space and locate connection points so my scans will be of a surface only, not a closed 3d object. I only need a surface to draw on top of in cad. I do this every day at my day job but we have different equipment and software. This may take a while to figure out how to correctly attack.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The mount fit perfectly but the boxes wouldn't work with the latches and snap pin toward the outside like this. I had to flip the box mounting 180 degrees with the box opening facing each other. With boxes phsically set facing each other access was easy. Still waiting for the revised version to be made at the shop.

IMG 0839

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In February Revopoint will be starting the Kickstart campaign for their new Range scanner, which has a large field of view to scan larger objects. This is really what I need so I'll be watching for the opening. The Pop2 scanner works really good as you can see, but it takes several merged scans to cover large areas. Resolution is awesome.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The new, larger scan area Revopoint Range launched on Kickstarter at 8 am EST this morning. They raised $500,000 in 50 minutes! I got in on the $410 group. Normally I would not take a chance on a Kickstarted campaign but Revopoint has delivered on 3 previous scanner models. Delivery is set for April. That seems so far away!

Revo

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
I have been researching scanners. (Have a full Solidworks suite, but have usually designed from scratch and had parts machined).
Not by any means do I have any expertise in this area, but I have read that the lighting (spectrum) used for scanning can significantly affect the results so might be worth looking into if you are having glitchy results with any 3D scanner.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Most of the UTV scans I've made are of black objects. Most scanners do not like black. A light film of cheap foot spray makes all the difference! My POP2 has great resolution. The red on my Talon makes EXCELLENT scans! It pics up the grooves in the snap rivets! But it will lose tracking on some surfaces and for larger areas, I have to make a lot of small scans and then stitch them together. This Range scanner picks up a much larger area in one scan frame so that will help me tremendously.

When scans are imported into cad they come in rotated all kinds of ways! That is a pain. I'm finally learning how to get scans to at least one working plane in fusion!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Received the new Range Scanner yesterday. Had a moment of time to fire it up and scan a lamp in the house. The operation is very similar to the Mini 2 scanner I already have so the learning curve will be reduced. Hoping to get a little Talon scanning in this weekend!

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!