P1000 Adding screen in front of radiator

kandt

kandt

Lifetime Member
Apr 27, 2021
Bluegrass state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tried to find more info on the search, but didn't see much so thought I would ask all the wise folks here.

A buddy of mine picked up a 2022 PK5 base model yesterday. He is going to use it mostly for farming. He was concerned with the radiator filling up with seeds/debris while riding his fields. He was thinking of sliding a window screen between the grill and radiator to try to catch some of it.

First anyone done anything like this in the past? Any concerns outside of it filling up if not cleaned regularly? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Kubota tractor (with cab and air conditioning) has screens in front of the radiation and AC heat exchanger radiator. The screens clog up fairly fast when mowing weeds. This, unfortunately, does not prevent the radiator *behind* the screen from also loading up! I had to make both a 90 degree blow gun air nozzle and hose attachment to clean out the radiator proper. That said, I clean the slide out screen maybe a dozen times before needing to clean the radiator itself. Guess it depends on the kinds of seeds.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the big opening on the front of the 22 Honda pioneer I would be more afraid of a stick or something like that putting a hole in the radiator I was wondering when somebody would come up with something stronger than a screen I can’t believe Honda didn’t come up with something instead of leaving it wide open

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can the radiator fans be reversed in polarity by means of a switch to blow forward for a bit to clean out debris?

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
What are the dimensions on the 22 radiator opening? I'm wanting to come up with something for this but haven't recieved my deluxe yet.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was surprised that my p1000 didn't have a screen in front of the rad when I got it. Seeing as how my Rincon had a factory screen.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the big opening on the front of the 22 Honda pioneer I would be more afraid of a stick or something like that putting a hole in the radiator I was wondering when somebody would come up with something stronger than a screen I can’t believe Honda didn’t come up with something instead of leaving it wide open
I Wouldn't want to restrict the air flow to much in front of the radiator.

Reactions: Smitty335
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I Wouldn't want to restrict the air flow to much in front of the radiator.
Never had it go above 2 bars yet in the summer with the screen on and at times even covered in grass seeds. BTW the screen is mounted on the outside of the grill so far its been on there for 2 summers with no problems.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
U do not want to reverse fan flow - this will render the heat transfer useless unless you are in park and not moving….

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
U can wire it to reverse if you want, for mud, a pump sprayer is suggested to clean out on the trail.

for seeds, weeds, etc….. - that blue foam HVAC filter material - cut a couple of pieces to size - keep some in the machine, when it gets clogged - just replace with a new one.

That filter material allows plenty of air flow.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never had it go above 2 bars yet in the summer with the screen on and at times even covered in grass seeds. BTW the screen is mounted on the outside of the grill so far its been on there for 2 summers with no problems.
Hear you on the screen. Got one also . I was referring more to tbakers comment on the size of the rad opening.

kandt

kandt

Lifetime Member
Apr 27, 2021
Bluegrass state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up putting a screen on the inside of the front bumper opening. It’s not the fix for everyone but I zip tied and used magnets to attach. Just wanted to cut down on the amount of seed heads getting to the radiator.

F0C380BC C542 4B84 988D B4E22CCD47C8

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!