BOX1

P1000 Additional storage space

R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most of my riding and prospecting is in the AZ. desert area and so wanted to keep the right tools for if and when I might breakdown. Looking at a number of posts that showed some neat storage ideas I decided to see if my front cargo box from my TRX 420 would work on my 18p-5. But I did not want to put it on and take it off when I had
other passengers or prospecting equipment in the back seats. I also knew that I was not going to have a wench so that left me the option of installing it on the front of the P5.

The build was relatively easy as I only had to remove the bumper so that I could get to the nuts and bolts needed to attach the cargo box. Used a wood base under the box as well as metal inside the box to reinforce the plastic....these were two pieces 1 1/2 " x 1/8" x 18 " the other was 1 1/2 " x 1/8" x 24" .

Also used large flat washers on the inside bottom to be sure that the plastic did not fracture when I tightened down to the wooden base.
The cargo box is water and dust proof and locks as well so it is a good fit for storage.
Not sure if it will interfere with heat transfer for radiator or if it will possibly hit the high banks as I go up a hill.....but will check out.
If it does not work then it can be removed and come up with another plan, but right now seems to be working out great. At least I won't have to keep loading and unloading tools etc.

I would appreciate any comments or suggest after you take a look at the attached photos.

20210117 11354520210117 11365520210117 11325420210117 11362420210117 12365320210117 123703

Last edited by a moderator:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not worried about reducing airflow to the radiator and overheating? Just wondering if it’ll deflect the wind some, may not.

Reactions: EMAW
N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
That’s a good idea... I just built a cargo box that fits in the bed of mr 700-2. I installed eye bolts in the side of my box and used turn buckles to hold it in place. Went for a 20 ride on the trails and it didn’t budge. I used 2x12 kd spruce, plywood on top and bottom. Then installed a piece , of 1/4” hard plastic on to to protect the plywood top. It’s 30”x33”. Holds lots of gear. I will send pic when my daughter stops by and shows me how to do it...lol

Reactions: Smitty335 and EMAW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Most of my riding and prospecting is in the AZ. desert area and so wanted to keep the right tools for if and when I might breakdown. Looking at a number of posts that showed some neat storage ideas I decided to see if my front cargo box from my TRX 420 would work on my 18p-5. But I did not want to put it on and take it off when I had
other passengers or prospecting equipment in the back seats. I also knew that I was not going to have a wench so that left me the option of installing it on the front of the P5.

The build was relatively easy as I only had to remove the bumper so that I could get to the nuts and bolts needed to attach the cargo box. Used a wood base under the box as well as metal inside the box to reinforce the plastic....these were two pieces 1 1/2 " x 1/8" x 18 " the other was 1 1/2 " x 1/8" x 24" .

Also used large flat washers on the inside bottom to be sure that the plastic did not fracture when I tightened down to the wooden base.
The cargo box is water and dust proof and locks as well so it is a good fit for storage.
Not sure if it will interfere with heat transfer for radiator or if it will possibly hit the high banks as I go up a hill.....but will check out.
If it does not work then it can be removed and come up with another plan, but right now seems to be working out great. At least I won't have to keep loading and unloading tools etc.

I would appreciate any comments or suggest after you take a look at the attached photos.

View attachment 249522View attachment 249523View attachment 249524View attachment 249525View attachment 249526View attachment 249527
I would be very worried about driving it through the desert like that because the radiator sucks. It is barely adequate. I wish you luck.

Reactions: Ridinfool and EMAW
R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s a good idea... I just built a cargo box that fits in the bed of mr 700-2. I installed eye bolts in the side of my box and used turn buckles to hold it in place. Went for a 20 ride on the trails and it didn’t budge. I used 2x12 kd spruce, plywood on top and bottom. Then installed a piece , of 1/4” hard plastic on to to protect the plywood top. It’s 30”x33”. Holds lots of gear. I will send pic when my daughter stops by and shows me how to do it...lol

R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sounds like a nice set up...it sure is nice to have more storage so that we don't have to load or unload when getting on the trails.

R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input.....I will let you know if that becomes a problem...but first I would remove it and then let you know. lol.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s a great idea, but... no wEnch? I don’t know your riding terrain but a wEnch is a necessity on these buggies but that’s just my opinion, if that doesn’t work maybe you could fit it up to the tailgate.

R

roughrd00

Nov 27, 2018
az
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 249522View attachment 249523View attachment 249524View attachment 249525View attachment 249526View attachment 249527
Just as a follow up as this set up has been on for a little over a year and air flow is great NO radiator problems yet. I was concerned with the box hitting when going down a steep drop off and then back up but it still is in place no damage .....Also carry a hand wench in the box if and when needed. So far so good that extra storage space is great and still have space in the bed for kids and additional items.

Reactions: Smitty335