BOX1

P1000 Advice: Tire and 4WD issues, told Pioneer is never to be driven on road, invalidates warranty?

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A truck tire is a good option if u ride primarily road ive seen a couple guys go this route with there talons, general grabber atx and bfg ko. And they all came back off they don't do well in muddy condition. I got a new set of terrabites sitting on floor im kinda worried about them. spring and fall in w.v are pretty wet

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reply from Honda and the warnings on the machine are from the lawyers to cover Honda. Some states (I am in Utah) allow you to register your off road vehicles (including ATV's, Side x Sides, and dirt bikes) as on road legal with some modifications to the machine. Mostly its safety devices like blinkers, horn, mirrors, etc. and you must carry on-road insurance.

Honda makes world wide products and for many years in other countries there have been from factory street legal versions of some of their models that are only "off road" in the USA. I would expect if the Pioneer is street legal from factory in another country it would NOT have the same tires and likely a street legal radial tire.

Since you are in the USA expect Honda to always say its not intended for street or pavement use. If they say otherwise and someone is involved in an auto accident it opens Honda up for law suits.

I ALWAYS make sure I am in turf mode when on pavement and can feel it in my machine as if NOT in turf mode the rear will push the fronts into turns. I have a 2017 1000-5 Deluxe that might not have the same system as yours however I find that the engagement to turf mode to locked rear diff in 2wd mode to be cable actuated and those cables stretch and require adjustment. There is a section in the owners manual for my year that shows how this process is completed. Mine is lever activated from turf to 2wd, to 4wd, to 4wd with front diff lock and if the lever is in the correct position it can't slip into the other modes.

I agree with others this shouldn't be an issue under normal times pre-covid to require that much time at the dealer. I hope you find resolve to your issues!

Reactions: Mudder and Isaiah
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looks like really bad scuffing, wonder what reply you would get by asking the dealer to confirm alignment specs? Don’t know if that is part of dealer prep.

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Never knew there was much of a warranty on tires anyway being a wear item.
Definitely not a tire with 1000 miles on them.
If there was a major issue with the tire, it should have been brought up before the first service.

Not saying you shouldn't have gotten 1000 miles...
But I am surprised you got 1000 miles on a factory 4ply bighorn without any major flats.

My suggestion is to adjust the toe and buy a tire with a harder compound.
Next, fix the 4x4 sensor/cable adjustment so it's working correctly.
Then fix the turf/2x4/park cables and sensor.

I concur!

Reactions: Isaiah
M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First make sure you’re stopped when switching to 4wd-2wd-turf.
Once you shift it in the mode you want, slowly start/stop moving while turning your wheels a bit. Once the display gauge indicated you’re in the mode you want, you’re good to go. It should take no more than 5 secs.
My yahama did the same thing, but it was stated in the manual that it could be stubborn at time.

Reactions: ChadD and Isaiah
R

RyanK420

Jan 3, 2021
Pike county Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Try running about 12 or 13 psi, it seemed to help the wear and traction on my pioneer 1000-5 I drove it on pavement alot, I've now purchased a talon but have seen any signs of uneven wear and I'm at about 1800 miles. When I got it from honda it had almost 30 psi in front tires. I had a base pioneer and a delux, the base tires are s***.

IA-AJB

IA-AJB

Dec 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would think if your machine was in 4 or 4 dif. lock and not showing so on the light you would know by the way it drives & turns. I know with mine it turns just like my 4 wheel drive truck dose you can feel the front end grabbing making hop.

JCBuckster

JCBuckster

Dec 7, 2020
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haft to agree with you Vikes on the stock tires that come on the 1000-3.
They worked very good on everything I ran them on but the pavement. I don’t think they are much of a mud tire, but don’t have mud in the desert. I replaced them because of pavement wear at 1500 miles with Tusk Terrabite 8ply tires, and that solved the pavement problem. I expect the Terrabites to last twice as long or more as the Blackstones.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!