P1000 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 Starting issues

V

Virginger

Mar 15, 2024
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning everyone,

My girlfriend is a farmer and has a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 which she's been using for general farm tasks etc. The thing has very low KM on it, maybe around 3500. It's been running rough for a while, but it's been parked on her acreage with no good way to get it off and into the shop to work on, perform some general maintenance etc. Anyhow, it was cold and the starter solenoid got stuck, so it would just keep trying to fire and fire, regardless of the key position, even with the key out of ignition, eventually draining the fuel until it stopped. It would stop firing once it started, but if you tried to turn it off via the key, it would just keep firing and starting itself. I swapped out the starter solenoid which fixed that issue, but by the time I went to fire it back up, the battery was completely dead and wouldn't even take a charge. The original battery was a Yuasa GYZ16H, I swapped it out with a Mighty Max YTX14-BS. Immediately after putting this battery in, it fired up no issues and I drove around a bit and then parked it, assuming the issue was fixed. A couple days went by and they went to use it and it wasn't starting (it had a very weak crank) so I put a trickle charger on it and let it sit for a few days, showing a full charge, it still cranks very weak and doesn't start. I put a load tester on the battery and it showed that it was weak, not holding a charge, so they went and purchased another battery from a dealership, which they said this one was the right one to use, a Canada Proof CTX14-BS, however, they're having the same issues with this battery. I've tested the fuel pump, it is indeed pumping fuel, I even changed the spark plugs, but the old ones weren't in bad condition at all, I've verified that its getting spark. At this point, I'm not really sure what to do. To get it off the field without it running, we'd probably have to hire a crane to load it onto a flat deck or something - the field is very hard to access with a vehicle.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
we really need pics of where this field is and is hard to access - if the machine died in the this field, would seem that other sxs's could drive to it and drag it out.

your description is difficult to troubleshoot over the keyboard - could be shorted wires, etc. but if its draining the batteries it has leakage to ground somewhere. u mentioned the key was out and it pumped the fuel out - so they means injectors were firing with key out, not good - really need to get it drug out, cleaned up and into your shop\a shop to diagnose.......and dump the oil - kinda assuming the the oil may be full of fuel as well

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!