P1000 2021 pioneer 1000-5 not firing on front cylinder

G

Giddy169

May 27, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well here’s my story so far. 2021 Honda 1000-5 deluxe. I put a snorkel on it, dual battery with fuse box and true isolator with winch and a couple other miscellaneous lights for the interior and sound bar. Was driving it and all of a sudden it started running rough and would die. It has about 66 hours on it. Hauled it home put new plugs in it and disconnected the second battery and no change, no spark in the front cylinder. If I applied the brake while I tried to start it. It would blow the ignition fuse if I didn’t apply the brake it would start but only on the back cylinder.
So I brought it into the dealer, it’s 6 months out of warranty. They said they pulled the pgm(ECU) and put it in another unit so they said it was the pgm(ECU). They installed the new pgm and it fried and only ran on one cylinder. Now they say it needs a wiring harness. I guess we will see if this fixes it. So far not very impressed with this machine with only 66 hours. Anyone else with a similar issue? Of course the deal throws back my added battery could be causing this.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well here’s my story so far. 2021 Honda 1000-5 deluxe. I put a snorkel on it, dual battery with fuse box and true isolator with winch and a couple other miscellaneous lights for the interior and sound bar. Was driving it and all of a sudden it started running rough and would die. It has about 66 hours on it. Hauled it home put new plugs in it and disconnected the second battery and no change, no spark in the front cylinder. If I applied the brake while I tried to start it. It would blow the ignition fuse if I didn’t apply the brake it would start but only on the back cylinder.
So I brought it into the dealer, it’s 6 months out of warranty. They said they pulled the pgm(ECU) and put it in another unit so they said it was the pgm(ECU). They installed the new pgm and it fried and only ran on one cylinder. Now they say it needs a wiring harness. I guess we will see if this fixes it. So far not very impressed with this machine with only 66 hours. Anyone else with a similar issue? Of course the deal throws back my added battery could be causing this.
Although I thought they had the problem fixed, earlier Pioneers were breaking the fuel injection wires inside the insulation. You couldn't see it but ...

The club store has replacement harnesses for a few bucks.

G

Giddy169

May 27, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Although I thought they had the problem fixed, earlier Pioneers were breaking the fuel injection wires inside the insulation. You couldn't see it but ...

The club store has replacement harnesses for a few bucks.
Thanks I did check the wires and they seemed good and it wasn’t throwing any codes and I didn’t get any spark.

I thought it odd when it would blow the ignition fuse when I tried to start it while pushing on the brake. It wouldn’t blow it if I started it without pushing on the brake but it only ran on the rear cylinder when it started.

I can’t see how adding a second battery and all accessories on the second battery could cause a wiring harness issue or blow the pgm or ignition fuse. I didn’t cut into any factory wiring. I added the key on wiring harness from club store and the extra hi beam light bar and harness.

I guess I will see what happens when the dealer replaces the wiring harness. They aren’t going to hook up my second battery and accessories so I will have to put all those back. This isn’t going to be a cheap fix.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks I did check the wires and they seemed good and it wasn’t throwing any codes and I didn’t get any spark.

I thought it odd when it would blow the ignition fuse when I tried to start it while pushing on the brake. It wouldn’t blow it if I started it without pushing on the brake but it only ran on the rear cylinder when it started.

I can’t see how adding a second battery and all accessories on the second battery could cause a wiring harness issue or blow the pgm or ignition fuse. I didn’t cut into any factory wiring. I added the key on wiring harness from club store and the extra hi beam light bar and harness.

I guess I will see what happens when the dealer replaces the wiring harness. They aren’t going to hook up my second battery and accessories so I will have to put all those back. This isn’t going to be a cheap fix.
Please let us know what happens, any one of us could end up in the same position.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bring all the wiring back to stock and start again from there.
If I had more time than money, this is where I'd start.
Your dealer doesn't mind spending your money while throwing parts at the problem.

How soon did the problems start after you did the dual battery? Was it right away?
Good points. Depending on their ethics and 'mood', working around someone else's wiring mods could be seen as a cash cow. A quality shop and tech (sadly rare) wouldn't do that.

G

Giddy169

May 27, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Your dealer doesn't mind spending your money while throwing parts at the problem.

How soon did the problems start after you did the dual battery? Was it right away?
Well it’s not that hard to disconnect the second battery and go from there but the problem still existed so something else had to be wrong. I don’t want to spend weeks on trying to diagnose it so that is why it went to the dealer.

The rig had a rough idle 3 or 4 times over the year before any accessories but it cleared up fairly quickly. Then it died about two weeks before it really died but started right back up. When it went rough idle and running on one cylinder I had just gone over a dip in the road full of rocks.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2021 Honda 1000-5 deluxe
Got any pics of the rig in question? POIDH.
You said 66hrs. Whats the milage?
Before you installed the second battery, did you have your accessories or any of them hooked up to the main battery? If so what ones and for how long?
Where do u store the rig and does it sit long?
Last but not least, If this latest deal from this Stealership dosnt fix it, Id call some others and speak to there service managers about your issues and see who is really sincere about wanting your business to help you, not to just pick your pocket. Be willing to travel also.

G

Giddy169

May 27, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got any pics of the rig in question? POIDH.
You said 66hrs. Whats the milage?
Before you installed the second battery, did you have your accessories or any of them hooked up to the main battery? If so what ones and for how long?
Where do u store the rig and does it sit long?
Last but not least, If this latest deal from this Stealership dosnt fix it, Id call some others and speak to there service managers about your issues and see who is really sincere about wanting your business to help you, not to just pick your pocket. Be willing to travel also.
Here is the only picture I have. I believe the mileage is between 300 and 400. I have not had it for a month. I had the winch hooked up to the main battery before installing the second battery, it’s probably been installed since a month after it was new. I never used it until a couple weeks ago though to pull a small tree out of the road.
I store the rig inside my shop and usually start it at least weekly.
Yeah, that’s a problem with diesel nearly $7/gallon and the next dealership over two hours away I doubt I will go to another dealership.

67839489816  B778B30C 6B43 4913 AFBC D83A08343118

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, that’s a problem with diesel nearly $7/gallon
Nice looking rig!

Thats why We call it Commiefornia
Thats ridiculous for Diesel. Here we are amingst the highest in the US not including your Country @$4.35 a gallon. I think you might want to consider a different state! Even the rich is leaving there. Thats insane to pay that ! 🤯

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I doubt I will go to another dealership.
I guess your SOL then if they dont fix it and keep throwing darts at it cuz its your money not theres.

Mybe barrow a buddy's gaser to take it another dealership? Or is Regular over $5 a gallon?

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your not under some kind of extended warranty, I would ask around the area.

There always seems to be a guy with an independent repair shop or works out of his home that repairs all brands and models of ATVs and UTVs and motorcycles that's very competent and honest. They depend on word of mouth to send them business and have happy lifelong, repeat customers.

They are also good sources to send a prospective customer to. They know all the good and bad of different brands and models since they see and work on them daily.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is the only picture I have. I believe the mileage is between 300 and 400. I have not had it for a month. I had the winch hooked up to the main battery before installing the second battery, it’s probably been installed since a month after it was new. I never used it until a couple weeks ago though to pull a small tree out of the road.
I store the rig inside my shop and usually start it at least weekly.
Yeah, that’s a problem with diesel nearly $7/gallon and the next dealership over two hours away I doubt I will go to another dealership.

View attachment 404126
How much beach driving you do with that rig? Salt water is horrible for grounds, connections, etc….. if sitting after not being thoroughly flushed with fresh water

G

Giddy169

May 27, 2021
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How much beach driving you do with that rig? Salt water is horrible for grounds, connections, etc….. if sitting after not being thoroughly flushed with fresh water
Not much only had it out there once and it was thoroughly flushed.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!