P1000 Almost ready to buy

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stopped at local dealer today for the third time. Drove another p1000 5 deluxe. Left with a couple of questions which the salesman did not answer to my satisfaction.
First, the machine would creep at idle speed, forward and reverse, on pavement or in the dirt. We tried a second machine that had a few hours on it, maybe 30 or so, and it did the same thing. Creeping slowly without touching the throttle. Sales guy said this is normal.
Second, most of the machines on hand had steering wheels that were 30 degrees or more off center. A couple of them were straight. Sales guy said they show up from the factory that way, and that they just unbolt the steering wheel and rotate it straight before delivery. This does not sound
like the Honda factory that I know and love.
So, are my concerns legit, or am I being to picky?
Plus, I am really wanting to wait for the 17's to see if any changes have been made, but after driving for the third time I can't wait. Really anxious to get one of these machines.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stopped at local dealer today for the third time. Drove another p1000 5 deluxe. Left with a couple of questions which the salesman did not answer to my satisfaction.
First, the machine would creep at idle speed, forward and reverse, on pavement or in the dirt. We tried a second machine that had a few hours on it, maybe 30 or so, and it did the same thing. Creeping slowly without touching the throttle. Sales guy said this is normal.
Second, most of the machines on hand had steering wheels that were 30 degrees or more off center. A couple of them were straight. Sales guy said they show up from the factory that way, and that they just unbolt the steering wheel and rotate it straight before delivery. This does not sound
Plus, I am really wanting to wait for the 17's to see if any changes have been made, but after driving for the third time I can't wait. Really anxious to get one of these machines.
Creeping slowly while not touching to gas is NOT normal. It can be adjusted under the dash near the hood. The steering wheel can be adjusted as well. There are threads on this forum that will show you how to adjust everything

Reactions: joeymt33
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your not being picky, just smart it's a big purchase. My guess would be that there aren't any changes to the 17, we should find out soon for sure, like within a week or two. You also could save some cash on a 16.

Reactions: JTW
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm confused..doesn't it have P. if you put your auto car in drive it goes without throttle doesn't it? Sorry maybe I'm missing something

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
1.It should not move any when in gear high or low, Reverse that is not normal. It will roll forward or backward on a hill if it's in gear. 2 the steering on some are not straight that's no big deal but I would say the dealer did that. 3 waiting for 2017 is up to you but I don't see big changes Intel 2018. You might want to go to A different dealer sounds like the dealer just wants your money.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1.It should not move any when in gear high or low, Reverse that is not normal. It will roll forward or backward on a hill if it's in gear. 2 the steering on some are not straight that's no big deal but I would say the dealer did that. 3 waiting for 2017 is up to you but I don't see big changes Intel 2018. You might want to go to A different dealer sounds like the dealer just wants your money.
Exactly!

Reactions: joeymt33
H

HondaTech

The creeping issue is considered normal by Honda if it won't run over a 2x4 without applying throttle, or this is what the tech guys asked me when I told them of this issue on one particular unit.
The reason the steering wheels are off center is inexcusable. They should've fixed this on setup. But these things leave the factory in S. Carolina and are crated and shipped to a assembly place close to where they going to be sold. The guys at the assembly places are atrocious at assembling these things. The reason this hasnt been an issue in the past is until SXS's came out they didnt have to ship units to an assembly factory after producing it. They shipped directly from the production facility. This is the same reason we check all the rops bolts on the P1K, these guys just crank these things out like nobodies business.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The creeping issue is considered normal by Honda if it won't run over a 2x4 without applying throttle, or this is what the tech guys asked me when I told them of this issue on one particular unit.
The reason the steering wheels are off center is inexcusable. They should've fixed this on setup. But these things leave the factory in S. Carolina and are crated and shipped to a assembly place close to where they going to be sold. The guys at the assembly places are atrocious at assembling these things. The reason this hasnt been an issue in the past is until SXS's came out they didnt have to ship units to an assembly factory after producing it. They shipped directly from the production facility. This is the same reason we check all the rops bolts on the P1K, these guys just crank these things out like nobodies business.
Good information to know the process. I thought it was shipped directly from the assembly plant.