Alright...so how bad are the sub trans problems?

Mcclain210

Mcclain210

Jul 21, 2020
North East, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally able to find some by me and getting ready to pull the trigger. Im in between the rmax le and talon r right now. Seems that I constantly hear problems about hondas sub trans and ruined gearing. I know of two people by me that had the issue badly and needed new sub trans. Im told by many that if you have a couple bad shifts, thats all it takes to destroy the sub trans gearing. Seems that honda dropped the ball big time on this thing and they need to address it for 22. I really dont want a problematic vehicle between the intake and sub trans. How bad is this issue really?

PS. Not trolling. Im a diehard honda guy. 3 honda atvs, 8 honda dirt bikes in my 29 years.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally able to find some by me and getting ready to pull the trigger. Im in between the rmax le and talon r right now. Seems that I constantly hear problems about hondas sub trans and ruined gearing. I know of two people by me that had the issue badly and needed new sub trans. Im told by many that if you have a couple bad shifts, thats all it takes to destroy the sub trans gearing. Seems that honda dropped the ball big time on this thing and they need to address it for 22. I really dont want a problematic vehicle between the intake and sub trans. How bad is this issue really?

The Rmax and Talon are very different machines. The Rmax is more like the polaris general. Its a good mix of sport and utility. It has a dump bed. The Talon is a sport machine. The sub trans issue is caused by not getting full engagement. It starts to round off the cogs then it goes to hell. A few bad incidents and it can go down hill quickly.

There are a lot of guys that refuse to have anything but a "REAL" transmission. But its REALLY tough to change a sub transmission on the side of the trail. I wouldn't necessarily say its a reason not to buy a talon but its something to keep in mind.

If you're not opposed to the belt machines, you should take a look at the KRX 1000 or the Can am. Depending on the riding you do. Shock Therapy has some really good videos on Youtube that covers the ride quality and suspension of each.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The sub trans is an awareness issue, if you know about it and shift while paying attention (watch for the L on the dash panel), it'll last for 'a long time'. Get in a hurry and impatient on the trail, start jamming between R, H and L, let it grind a few times thinking it doesn't matter and bad ju ju happens.

It helps if you can avoid using Low before it's warmed up from driving (little if anything is moving in the sub trans when idling so the oil isn't getting warmed as much as the engine). If I want to use Low when cold, I'll use High to get me rolling and shift into Low at a SLOW roll, this helps the shift dogs align. Having your foot off the brake helps too (if you're at a stop). Honda's motor oil with Moly helps the sub trans shifting but don't use it in the motor.

The first post in the thread linked in my sig shows some shift dog damage (random internet pics) to help picture what's happening. A little situational awareness and mechanical sympathy go a long way in protecting the shift dogs. Don't get in a hurry and don't jam gears.

After years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never own another CVT, I'll learn to live with the DCT's idiosyncrasies. Having 6 speeds, throttle connected directly to the tires and paddle control is more fun than should be legal.

Mcclain210

Mcclain210

Jul 21, 2020
North East, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I appreciate the detailed replies from everyone. I mean honestly, dont you guys think they should beef the sub trans up and fix these issues for 2022?? To me this isnt the normal honda quality. They should have heat treated all of these gears. Would have been allot tougher.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I appreciate the detailed replies from everyone. I mean honestly, dont you guys think they should beef the sub trans up and fix these issues for 2022?? To me this isnt the normal honda quality. They should have heat treated all of these gears. Would have been allot tougher.

Sure I would like it to be beefier and not at all an issue but I can name things on any machine out there that I would like to be beefier and different on. My thoughts on the subtrans in the Honda is, if your cable is adjusted properly and you are fully in gear It is basically a zero issue. It's technically only "weak" when it's not fully engaged and then chips the gear engagement. I have had zero issues with mine. My cousin has the same machine with zero issues also. Good luck with your choice those are two solid machines! If you don't need the utility, I personally would choose the Talon!!)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

This has been an issue since the pioneer 1000 came out and seems to be more prevalent in the talon but no idea why. Yea they should have fixed it a long time ago.

However, as others said, all machines have their pros and cons. Just gotta decide what you want to deal with.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have close to 17,000 miles on my talon and no problem. Its like the guys say make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly and make sure the shift lever will wiggle in the shift gate, if its loaded forward its not in gear and you will get the shift bang when you apply throttle.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Like HondaBob said ! Exactly but I only have 6k on mine . Haven't experienced your other option BUT the Talon is SOOOOO much fun . Toss it into a slide / down shift and FLY . Not an option with a belt drive . I have a RZR , a Pioneer and a Talon . The Talon is AWESOME !

advertisement
K

kidamer

Jun 20, 2019
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The sub trans is an awareness issue, if you know about it and shift while paying attention (watch for the L on the dash panel), it'll last for 'a long time'. Get in a hurry and impatient on the trail, start jamming between R, H and L, let it grind a few times thinking it doesn't matter and bad ju ju happens.

It helps if you can avoid using Low before it's warmed up from driving (little if anything is moving in the sub trans when idling so the oil isn't getting warmed as much as the engine). If I want to use Low when cold, I'll use High to get me rolling and shift into Low at a SLOW roll, this helps the shift dogs align. Having your foot off the brake helps too (if you're at a stop). Honda's motor oil with Moly helps the sub trans shifting but don't use it in the motor.

The first post in the thread linked in my sig shows some shift dog damage (random internet pics) to help picture what's happening. A little situational awareness and mechanical sympathy go a long way in protecting the shift dogs. Don't get in a hurry and don't jam gears.

After years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never own another CVT, I'll learn to live with the DCT's idiosyncrasies. Having 6 speeds, throttle connected directly to the tires and paddle control is more fun than should be legal.
This they have no issues as long as you realize that its in gear before your foot goes to the floor

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This has been an issue since the pioneer 1000 came out and seems to be more prevalent in the talon but no idea why. Yea they should have fixed it a long time ago.

However, as others said, all machines have their pros and cons. Just gotta decide what you want to deal with.
To your point, none of them are perfect. There are a lot of choices for sure.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

PS. Not trolling. Im a diehard honda guy. 3 honda atvs, 8 honda dirt bikes in my 29 years.
If you are worried about the sub-trans, shoot me a PM when you get your Talon and I will sell you a specialized shift gate that has more throw and a more positive Low engagement. My 2019 R did the shift "Bang" once at about 200 miles so I engineered a better shift gate. 3000 miles on mine since installing my upgraded shift gate and I NEVER look at my shift indicator anymore and have not had any more issues.

View this thread starting here for more detailed info...

Early prototype looked like this...

I now have 2 CNC cut ABS versions available. There are others out there but mine is the only one that I know of with the small Low gate to insure better Low engagement...

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
If you are worried about the sub-trans, shoot me a PM when you get your Talon and I will sell you a specialized shift gate that has more throw and a more positive Low engagement. My 2019 R did the shift "Bang" once at about 200 miles so I engineered a better shift gate. 3000 miles on mine since installing my upgraded shift gate and I NEVER look at my shift indicator anymore and have not had any more issues.

View this thread starting here for more detailed info...

Early prototype looked like this...

View attachment 251914

I now have 2 CNC cut ABS versions available. There are others out there but mine is the only one that I know of with the small Low gate to insure better Low engagement...

View attachment 251912

View attachment 251913
This is the way. ^^^^

my prototype version is flawless.

be aware of the indicator.
Ride it.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
i agree on Paul's gate. Have had it so long basically forgot about it. Never an issue so far. Install, adjust cable & forget

S

Scott_in-utah

Jan 31, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I've heard a couple loud clangs when starting our both in forward and reverse. Sounds like someone smacked a steel bar against another one. New to Honda's and sxs's is that the sub trans issue I only have 260 miles on it. 2020 Pioneer 1000-5.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I've heard a couple loud clangs when starting our both in forward and reverse. Sounds like someone smacked a steel bar against another one. New to Honda's and sxs's is that the sub trans issue I only have 260 miles on it. 2020 Pioneer 1000-5.
This is the talon forum.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!