ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think a little clarification is needed so all understand your position, and I completely agree with you.

Many roads in our area, and in the greater area of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough (Google it... it's very large) have ATV trails running along side them. People have driveways that intersect them. Most of the people living along these roads also have ATV's and they use the trails. It isn't rare to pull into a gas station or mini mart and see a couple of machines sitting there. These trails are, for the most part, in the right-of-way. Most that ride these are respectful enough to slow down or even stop before crossing anyone's driveway so they don't cause an accident and don't damage anyone's property.

It's a local thing, and to block one is pretty low.

Gotcha, if EVERY road has a trail then yeah total dick move.

Around here it doesn't snow so didn't consider the boulders being hidden by that.
We get a good amount of rain so if the dirt/gravel gets chewed loose it just washed away next rain. Lots of driveway maintenance on a ½ mile of driveway.
Even in rural areas you can ride on the road just not very far cops are pretty bad.

Right of way here is not for public use you own it, only municipal easement use for utilities or signage.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotcha, if EVERY road has a trail then yeah total dick move.

Around here it doesn't snow so didn't consider the boulders being hidden by that.
We get a good amount of rain so if the dirt/gravel gets chewed loose it just washed away next rain. Lots of driveway maintenance on a ½ mile of driveway.
Even in rural areas you can ride on the road just not very far cops are pretty bad.

Right of way here is not for public use you own it, only municipal easement use for utilities or signage.

It's a little different here. There are rules and laws that cover it. Both the cities of Wasilla and Palmer have ordinances covering it, as well as state laws. I couldn't find the one for Palmer, but I did for Wasilla and the state. The right-of-way is open.

Wasilla: City of Wasilla, AK : ATV Information

State: http://dps.alaska.gov/PIO/releases/resources/Brochures/ATV Statute.pdf

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a little different here. There are rules and laws that cover it. Both the cities of Wasilla and Palmer have ordinances covering it, as well as state laws. I couldn't find the one for Palmer, but I did for Wasilla and the state. The right-of-way is open.

Wasilla: City of Wasilla, AK : ATV Information

State: http://dps.alaska.gov/PIO/releases/resources/Brochures/ATV Statute.pdf

Thanks context is important, sometimes it's easy to forget what's normal here may not be normal there and vice versa.

I wish we could tag and register as an option here.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks context is important, sometimes it's easy to forget what's normal here may not be normal there and vice versa.

I wish we could tag and register as an option here.

What's funny about that is most people here despise the idea of registering... lol. And, it's a snow machine tag to boot! No big deal to me. The P1K is actually the first machine I've registered. It's only $10 for 2 years, so it doesn't hurt the wallet.

Eventually, as the cities grow, this will probably go away. And, you still can't make them street legal or ride on the roads. Once you get into rural areas nobody cares.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's funny about that is most people here despise the idea of registering... lol. And, it's a snow machine tag to boot! No big deal to me. The P1K is actually the first machine I've registered. It's only $10 for 2 years, so it doesn't hurt the wallet.

Eventually, as the cities grow, this will probably go away. And, you still can't make them street legal or ride on the roads. Once you get into rural areas nobody cares.

Don't misunderstand I despise registering, BUT we can't run on the roads here very far. It'd be nice if we had the $12 option to NOT get a $200+ ticket.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't misunderstand I despise registering, BUT we can't run on the roads here very far. It'd be nice if we had the $12 option to NOT get a $200+ ticket.

Yep. That registration probably already saved me from a ticket by a state trooper. I have the stickers right on the front fenders. I had just changed the fluids and wanted to warm it up so I took a ride down the road in my subdivision. I wasn't driving fast or being stupid. I went down around the bend and turned around. When I came back around the bend he had his trooper pickup parked across the road... lol. He was really cool about it. Asked me if I knew I shouldn't be riding on the road. Yes sir. I told him I had just changed all the fluids and wanted to warm it up. He asked me where I lived. Right down at the end of that cul-de-sac. He said OK. Stay off the roads. I said thank you and went on my way.

I think he thought I was a kid out joy-riding. The funny part is that when I crossed the road out of my cul-de-sac I looked down the road and told my wife, "I hope that isn't a cop!" Also, I'm pretty sure he lives where he had his truck across the road. There is some new houses going up in that area. Bad way to meet your new neighbor that's a trooper!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep. That registration probably already saved me from a ticket by a state trooper. I have the stickers right on the front fenders. I had just changed the fluids and wanted to warm it up so I took a ride down the road in my subdivision. I wasn't driving fast or being stupid. I went down around the bend and turned around. When I came back around the bend he had his trooper pickup parked across the road... lol. He was really cool about it. Asked me if I knew I shouldn't be riding on the road. Yes sir. I told him I had just changed all the fluids and wanted to warm it up. He asked me where I lived. Right down at the end of that cul-de-sac. He said OK. Stay off the roads. I said thank you and went on my way.

I think he thought I was a kid out joy-riding. The funny part is that when I crossed the road out of my cul-de-sac I looked down the road and told my wife, "I hope that isn't a cop!" Also, I'm pretty sure he lives where he had his truck across the road. There is some new houses going up in that area. Bad way to meet your new neighbor that's a trooper!

What's the point in registering? It doesn't help with troopers because it's against the law to drive in the road anyway. You can't make them street legal (which is retarded) because they are off road. Someone said they register EVERYTHING they get once so it's in the system if it gets stolen.

Thanks for backing me up. It's hard explaining things to out of towers. We are a different breed. I pulled up at the gas station near Baldy the other day, down church, and another dude On a 4 Wheeler was fueling up and putting his shotgun together. Right at the pump. It was awesome. I almost shook his hand. He had a double gun front rack and his ar 15 and shotgun were out plain as day. We Were just lucky nobody got killed! No.

Where do you do your riding? After I get my rig together we all Gotta do a meet n greet.

Also, I live in Palmer. My trailer died near Sutton. I drove my Honda all the way back to three bears on Palmer Wasilla on the road. 55 mph no problem. Those big winds right out of town were kind of sketchy though because of the soft suspension.

Your lucky that trooper didn't write you a ticket. I've never had a bad encounter with Wasilla police.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pics . Fifteen minute drive. This is our life.

20160816 183828 20160816 183949 20160816 184654 20160816 184535 20160816 184528

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the point in registering? It doesn't help with troopers because it's against the law to drive in the road anyway. You can't make them street legal (which is retarded) because they are off road. Someone said they register EVERYTHING they get once so it's in the system if it gets stolen.

Thanks for backing me up. It's hard explaining things to out of towers. We are a different breed. I pulled up at the gas station near Baldy the other day, down church, and another dude On a 4 Wheeler was fueling up and putting his shotgun together. Right at the pump. It was awesome. I almost shook his hand. He had a double gun front rack and his ar 15 and shotgun were out plain as day. We Were just lucky nobody got killed! No.

Where do you do your riding? After I get my rig together we all Gotta do a meet n greet.

Also, I live in Palmer. My trailer died near Sutton. I drove my Honda all the way back to three bears on Palmer Wasilla on the road. 55 mph no problem. Those big winds right out of town were kind of sketchy though because of the soft suspension.

Your lucky that trooper didn't write you a ticket. I've never had a bad encounter with Wasilla police.

Well, if you read the ordinance for Wasilla, and state law, your machine must be registered and insured in order to ride in the right-of-way. Actually, the way state law reads, if it isn't registered you can't leave your own property. I haven't found Palmer's ordinance yet, but I'm sure it is similar. Do I agree with this? Nope. I'm just answering your question. Does any law enforcement in this state enforce this? Nope. If they wanted to be jerks about it they could, though. As for AST vs. WPD vs. PPD, the only agency I've ever received a ticket from was WPD for 43 in 35 over a Memorial Day weekend seat belt enforcement trap on the Seward Meridian about 10 years ago... and he was an ass. Not because he gave me a ticket - I was speeding. It was his attitude that sucked. Oh, and I was wearing my seatbelt. Every encounter I've had with AST or PPD, including AST's wildlife troopers, has been a positive experience. Maybe the WPD officer was just having a bad day. I don't hold it against him or them.

That's a heck of a run from Sutton to Three Bears! I definitely understand doing it, though. I would never leave a machine sitting anywhere. That's just asking for someone to steal it.

Are you talking about the Tesoro on Church and Seldon? Every time I've been there I've seen a couple ATV's, and you always see them on the roadside trails in that area. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they weren't armed ;)

All of my riding lately has been scouting for caribou and moose. I'll be heading up to Eureka this weekend, along with the other half of the state... lol. I didn't win a draw for caribou this year, but a buddy of mine and his son did. I'm tagging along to help out and to look for moose. I'm thinking about wearing Kevlar. It will be a shooting gallery if there's caribou around.

I like the Sutton area for tooling around and going up to Eska Falls, but I haven't done it with the P1K yet. So far this summer I've done Purinton, Belanger and Old Man. Pinochle is a fun trail, but that muddy part through the muskeg before the hill down to Hicks creek can be a bear. Hopefully sometime in early fall I will get up to Eska Falls. Next weekend might be a run out to Zero Lake for moose. I'd also like to ride to Ruby Lake and maybe beyond before the snow flies. Sometime later this year, when the river recedes, I might head out to Knik Glacier.

It would be great to get as many as possible together and do a ride. I'd love to see the look on peoples faces seeing a group of Pioneer's heading out. I'm starting to notice more on the trails and on trailers on the roads.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Hey Boomboom907 and AKRider.... You ever meet the Palin's?

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll pass, and keep my politics off of here. Todd seems to be a pretty cool guy, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: jawquin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!