HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
AMA Booby Traps

AMA warns riders of booby traps on public trails
July 13, 2016

Press Release

Motorcyclists and all-terrain vehicle riders in three states have discovered booby traps along trails on public lands that place riders, hikers and others at risk, the American Motorcyclist Association reported [Tuesday].

In Idaho, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, someone or some group is deliberately trying to harm off-highway vehicle riders who use trails on public lands. Booby traps also have been reported in recent years along trails in Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.

"This type of activity is extremely dangerous," said Rob Dingman, AMA president and CEO. "A motorcyclist who hits one of these traps can be seriously injured or even killed. We want anyone with information about these tactics to contact law enforcement immediately."

Full story - AMA warns riders of booby traps on public trails – Powersports Business

Someone needs there ass kicked!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Locally and mostly on private land we have encountered wire across the trail and boxes of nails thrown out. But never would I expect this on pubic trails.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Locally and mostly on private land we have encountered wire across the trail and boxes of nails thrown out. But never would I expect this on pubic trails.
Seriously!!!! What is wrong with people??? So rediculous!!!!!!!

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
Now if that doesn't take the cake.....Those look like they would do a lot of damage and surely could cause serious injury as well.
Just when you think you have seen it all, another nut falls from the tree.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
We came across this type of stuff a lot back in the late 90's early 2000's on private land. It sucks, back in the early 90's when I started riding we could go anywhere around here. Everyone was ok with it. Them days are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
here in alaska people put giant boulders and build fences and stuff to block the trail on their newly acquired land.

well that trail has been their for over 20 years. i grew up around here. i grew up on that trail. and you bought some land and you think your taking my trail?

i will steal your little rock and put it in the middle of your driveway in the middle of the night.

i have literally nothing better to do.

be carefull who you try and punk.

sincerely,
someone who has more time than you have money.

Reactions: JohnNH and Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Lol...
Reminds me of a time we had a chain put across the tail. "Someone" cut it down and relocated it to the owners driveway.
Word was his wife ran into it and messed up her car. Police got involved but nothing ever came about.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here in alaska people put giant boulders and build fences and stuff to block the trail on their newly acquired land.

well that trail has been their for over 20 years. i grew up around here. i grew up on that trail. and you bought some land and you think your taking my trail?

i will steal your little rock and put it in the middle of your driveway in the middle of the night.

sincerely,

My response to this is what gives you any claim to land I paid money to purchase? No matter how long you lived there or grew up there.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My response to this is what gives you any claim to land I paid money to purchase? No matter how long you lived there or grew up there.
I was kinda thinking the same thing if the trail is on his land it's his, I dont know about Alaska , maybe it's different. Or he blocked it to keep people off for better hunting. At least it was a large rock and not a piece of barbed wire 4ft high.

Reactions: joeymt33
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

sincerely,
I've lived through this many times. Felt the same as you. It saddens me when someone buys my old stomping grounds (or my new hunting lands).
But, the man did buy it. It's his land.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was kinda thinking the same thing if the trail is on his land it's his, I dont know about Alaska , maybe it's different. Or he blocked it to keep people off for better hunting. At least it was a large rock and not a piece of barbed wire 4ft high.

Anything hidden that the intent of is to cause and causes damage or injury, I.E.: a trap, and that can get you an extended stay in a very small room.

Lots of thick heavy steel (my personal favorite is lots and lots of railroad rail) or stone is generally the only answer to physically stop forward progress. Takes heavy equipment to move or lots of gas to cut. Still doesn't always work but it deters all but the most stubborn.

Game cameras or security cameras set up to get faces and/or tag numbers are also a great solution. Then you can get some use from your tax dollars.

Fe905a4b6811ee0d308e7e413219b9ff
A2f2d69c2b63aafcfa2745f76cfee5d9

Warning signs and not bluffing also help.
We are in a LOW almost no crime rural area, but the meth head step-son of a neighbor broke into a house down the road, all his game camera got was a blur of the car. Our cameras got his face and tag number.

I worked hard for what we've got, no one is going to trespass and tear up our property, steal from us or endanger my family. With out fearing jail and/or me defending my family.

That said were one of 5 owners that let the others roam around the back half of our properties but it's a gentleman's agreement that if anyone breaks the agreement it comes to a stop.

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
I've had this scenario happen on 2 separate occasions. Both instances I approached the owner and explained why the trail was there and how I have used it in the past. Both times I was given permission to pass through so long as I didn't tear up their ground. In one of the instances I was asked to not pass through during certain times because of hunting. Seemed pretty fair to me. A lot of times if we just take the time to have a conversation things can be worked out. NOT ALWAYS but a lot of the time. Having said that, trying to damage equipment or people whether it's public or private ground is the act of a coward. If you don't want people on your property that's fine....post your property and if you see it happening stop the riders and tell them face to face. Where I ride there is usually another route to get from A to B and I'll respect their wishes. I'm sure there are other ways to ensure it doesn't happen....it may not stop as soon as the owner wants but at least no one gets hurt.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had this scenario happen on 2 separate occasions. Both instances I approached the owner and explained why the trail was there and how I have used it in the past. Both times I was given permission to pass through so long as I didn't tear up their ground. In one of the instances I was asked to not pass through during certain times because of hunting. Seemed pretty fair to me. A lot of times if we just take the time to have a conversation things can be worked out. NOT ALWAYS but a lot of the time. Having said that, trying to damage equipment or people whether it's public or private ground is the act of a coward. If you don't want people on your property that's fine....post your property and if you see it happening stop the riders and tell them face to face. Where I ride there is usually another route to get from A to B and I'll respect their wishes. I'm sure there are other ways to ensure it doesn't happen....it may not stop as soon as the owner wants but at least no one gets hurt.

3cef0f7bf5e4ff102962af2d10bf4f15

The above is why the neighbors have access to the back portions of each other's property.

Reactions: webby and sharp
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Several people misunderstood me. I'm talking about a road called KGB.

It's a straight road that's about 14 miles long to a dead end and abandoned missle silos. Many other main roads branch off from this road. On the side of the road is a 4 Wheeler trail. It's been there for twenty plus years.

Then they build a bike path right down the middle of it. So the trail winds up shifting to the side of the bike path. Then people take rocks and stuff to block the trail again.

This is not private property. This is not a case of driving through someone's 2 acre back yard.

This is some asshat who bought land knowing there is a trail right off the road, and put his driveway in perpendicular to the road and trail, and then put boulders across his driveway to prevent anyone from crossing. So now we have to get on an extremely populated ROAD ( vine for you Alaskans) on a blind Hill.

I don't give a s*** if you bought it. That trail is the shoulder of the road. Just because your driveway is there doesn't mean you can destroy twelve miles of riding all by yourself. This is not a Stomp ground, or mud hole. This is a transportation based road just like a car.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the point of most responses is that, If its not the public road its not accessible to you, that landowner did purchase land on that road, he also purchased the right to put a driveway to access his land. Which I am going to assume the state/county/parish/district/local roads department is not going to maintain. If you have who knows how many people riding across his driveway and causing damage and erosion. Speaking from personal experience just maintaining a long driveway that just has cars down it at this point. Its expensive and a pain in the butt. I can see why he put boulders across his driveway. Sucks that out in the middle of nowhere that is an inconvenience for you but it is his property now, doesn't matter that for the last 20 years it was free reign. This is the problem that causes most vacant land to be cut off from the public. People have no respect for other people's property. You didn't buy it, you don't maintain it, you have probably not asked politely, so you should stay off of it.
It would be like me selling you my house and truck, then walking into your now garage and taking your now truck for a drive to the store, because thats what Ive done for 20 years is take the truck in that garage for a drive to the store.

Here in AL the STATE and local government has a 15' (someone correct me if the distance is wrong) right of way easement, they can put anything they dang well please on that 15' easement, utilities, signs, sidewalks, anything that benefits the public, BUT its still not yours as a taxpayer.

Locally large corps that had 100,000s of thousands of vacant acres north of Birmingham, like Drummond Cola and US Steel have REALLY cut down on trespassing because: they roost and tear it up, rut out roads so that the owner can't access them with their equipment, cut down trees, leave trash beer cans dirty condoms, burnt out stolen vehicles, shoot near their neighbors houses at all hours of the day and night, it has actually gotten so bad the county sherifs have found chemical dumps and drug labs in the middle of the woods.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That said booby-traps that hurt people or damage equipment are BAD don't do it. If you do you deserve to go to jail.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct, your statement was misleading. My statement was meant as personal property that I have purchased, a hypothetical situation.
Public roadway is a completely different matter.

WV is the same, state owns some amount of feet either side of the road as a right of way.

Edit:

I also in no way think any form of sabotage is appropriate. Any action taken needs to be large and visible as to not hurt any machine or person.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
?...WV is the same, state owns some amount of feet either side of the road as a right of way....
AL likes to let you keep it but not really allow you to do anything with it so they can tax everyone on those 15'

Taxes .... I'd go buy some tea and throw in a harbor but the EPA would get me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the point of most responses is that, If its not the public road its not accessible to you, that landowner did purchase land on that road, he also purchased the right to put a driveway to access his land. Which I am going to assume the state/county/parish/district/local roads department is not going to maintain. If you have who knows how many people riding across his driveway and causing damage and erosion. Speaking from personal experience just maintaining a long driveway that just has cars down it at this point. Its expensive and a pain in the butt. I can see why he put boulders across his driveway. Sucks that out in the middle of nowhere that is an inconvenience for you but it is his property now, doesn't matter that for the last 20 years it was free reign. This is the problem that causes most vacant land to be cut off from the public. People have no respect for other people's property. You didn't buy it, you don't maintain it, you have probably not asked politely, so you should stay off of it.
It would be like me selling you my house and truck, then walking into your now garage and taking your now truck for a drive to the store, because thats what Ive done for 20 years is take the truck in that garage for a drive to the store.

The middle of nowhere.... I just said it's the shoulder of the road, which is an easement. I also said I wasn't talking about some field in the middle of nowhere. I also your analogy is wrong. That would be like me buying a truck that everyone uses, knowing that the said truck is a community truck, and buying it under the contract that it is to remain community truck, and then locking it in a garage.

The population of Wasilla is around 7k people. Around a third of this population lives on, or within ten minutes of KGB.

The shoulder of the road is an easment which is legally there for transportation and emergency uses. If you are driving safely, nobody can tell you to stop. In Alaska, you can legally build your own trail anywhere in the state in state land, as long as you follow the rules.

But for some dumb ass reason, you bought a lot off of a road that contains Houses and driveways for around 3000 people and your going to block off the trail when nobody else did? For miles and miles everyone else bought their parcels with the pre established trail in the shoulder of the road, and just dumped some dirt on both sides of their driveways, (as did we) And you decide your a special snowflake and your driveway is more important than everyone else's. So you're going to force someone into the road (because this trail is the shoulder of a paved road with stoplights and traffic and s***, not the middle of nowhere) because you don't want someone crossing the first three feet of your thirty foot driveway Which is part of an easement? Also, guess where the Powerline is? Correct. Same easement.

Now. I think I've mentioned I live in Alaska once or twice, so I'll drill this home.

We ALL respect private property Extremely highly. I respect that higher than most things. We all have guns, and if you read a few news articles, there will be Many many stories of people defending their home with them. People have an absolute right to their property. I would never go on anyone's property without their expressed permission. But to block off the shoulder of the road, on an easement for a shoulder AND Powerline, is only to be spiteful.

And to prove my point, I'll post some pictures later.

I hit those rocks on my Snow machine several years back. You can't see them in Snow. Destroyed my skis, and Tie rods. threw me about ten feet over my handlebars into some boulders. I had my helmet on. I was only bruised on my thighs and hips luckily.

So. No. I will remove the rocks you put on the easement.

Then, I hit a chunk of metal. Guess what? It was in old stop sign that was cut off and buried about an inch above the ground. My tire caught it, and threw me into the road, flipped my 4 Wheeler over into the middle of another road. Cop came and made sure I was okay. I had my helmet on. Helped me roll my Wheeler over. That was again on the shoulder of the road. The trail Established twenty plus years ago, IN TOWN. I was thrown into the road of a city with the population of 8k.

It doesn't matter what the obstacle is. If you put something in the trail, eventually someone will hit it. Law of averages. You are endangering people's lives, all because you don't want to build your driveway up? It cost us 40 dollars for 2 pickup loads of dirt. Our driveway was fine after that.

And again. This trail is not a trail. You can't find it in a map. That's because it's in the shoulder of the road.

Pics are Google maps. His driveway wasn't in yet. We personally know the guy (gf dads cousin) and what he did was Dick move.

Second pic is KGB. Just so you understand the reference.

Third and fourth are zoomed out to show population.

So. If you decide to block the trail with a big rock, I will put it in your driveway.

Screenshot 2016 08 16 12 53 18 Screenshot 2016 08 16 12 55 08 Screenshot 2016 08 16 12 55 15 Screenshot 2016 08 16 12 55 28

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The middle of nowhere.... I just said it's the shoulder of the road, which is an easement. I also said I wasn't talking about some field in the middle of nowhere. I also your analogy is wrong. That would be like me buying a truck that everyone uses, knowing that the said truck is a community truck, and buying it under the contract that it is to remain community truck, and then locking it in a garage.

The population of Wasilla is around 7k people. Around a third of this population lives on, or within ten minutes of KGB.

The shoulder of the road is an easment which is legally there for transportation and emergency uses. If you are driving safely, nobody can tell you to stop. In Alaska, you can legally build your own trail anywhere in the state in state land, as long as you follow the rules.

But for some dumb ass reason, you bought a lot off of a road that contains Houses and driveways for around 3000 people and your going to block off the trail when nobody else did? For miles and miles everyone else bought their parcels with the pre established trail in the shoulder of the road, and just dumped some dirt on both sides of their driveways, (as did we) And you decide your a special snowflake and your driveway is more important than everyone else's. So you're going to force someone into the road (because this trail is the shoulder of a paved road with stoplights and traffic and s***, not the middle of nowhere) because you don't want someone crossing the first three feet of your thirty foot driveway Which is part of an easement? Also, guess where the Powerline is? Correct. Same easement.

Now. I think I've mentioned I live in Alaska once or twice, so I'll drill this home.

We ALL respect private property Extremely highly. I respect that higher than most things. We all have guns, and if you read a few news articles, there will be Many many stories of people defending their home with them. People have an absolute right to their property. I would never go on anyone's property without their expressed permission. But to block off the shoulder of the road, on an easement for a shoulder AND Powerline, is only to be spiteful.

And to prove my point, I'll post some pictures later.

I hit those rocks on my Snow machine several years back. You can't see them in Snow. Destroyed my skis, and Tie rods. threw me about ten feet over my handlebars into some boulders. I had my helmet on. I was only bruised on my thighs and hips luckily.

So. No. I will remove the rocks you put on the easement.

Then, I hit a chunk of metal. Guess what? It was in old stop sign that was cut off and buried about an inch above the ground. My tire caught it, and threw me into the road, flipped my 4 Wheeler over into the middle of another road. Cop came and made sure I was okay. I had my helmet on. Helped me roll my Wheeler over. That was again on the shoulder of the road. The trail Established twenty plus years ago, IN TOWN. I was thrown into the road of a city with the population of 8k.

It doesn't matter what the obstacle is. If you put something in the trail, eventually someone will hit it. Law of averages. You are endangering people's lives, all because you don't want to build your driveway up? It cost us 40 dollars for 2 pickup loads of dirt. Our driveway was fine after that.

And again. This trail is not a trail. You can't find it in a map. That's because it's in the shoulder of the road.

Pics are Google maps. His driveway wasn't in yet. We personally know the guy (gf dads cousin) and what he did was Dick move.

Second pic is KGB. Just so you understand the reference.

Third and fourth are zoomed out to show population.

So. If you decide to block the trail with a big rock, I will put it in your driveway.

View attachment 20310 View attachment 20311 View attachment 20312 View attachment 20313

I think a little clarification is needed so all understand your position, and I completely agree with you.

Many roads in our area, and in the greater area of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough (Google it... it's very large) have ATV trails running along side them. People have driveways that intersect them. Most of the people living along these roads also have ATV's and they use the trails. It isn't rare to pull into a gas station or mini mart and see a couple of machines sitting there. These trails are, for the most part, in the right-of-way. Most that ride these are respectful enough to slow down or even stop before crossing anyone's driveway so they don't cause an accident and don't damage anyone's property.

It's a local thing, and to block one is pretty low.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!