Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
UPDATED 11/15/23

HEARING CANCELED PROPOSED FEES INCREASE TABLED

Screenshot 20231115 222550 Drive

As I posted elsewhere TWRA is proposing OHV fee increases that would result in a 400% increase for just two people to ride in one SXS vs. the current regulations. Below is an image of the official public notice of the public hearing being held in Gatlinburg TN on December 8th 2023. People attending can sign up and can address their concerns in person.

TWRA is also accepting written comments via email until December 5th 2023.

If you can't attend the hearing PLEASE email your comments to the commission, be respectful and professional, we have 50K members on this forum, even if only 5% email thats 1000 comments that show concerns of the considerable increase in costs for a family.

A sign-up sheet for public comment will be available at the day of the hearing. Written comments will be
accepted via email only until December 5th at 4:30 pm cst.

The email address to submit comments is:
[email protected]

Here is the Public Notice: the actual PDF is attached to this post.

TWRA Public Notice of OHV hearing 12 08 2023

When the original regulations were enacted in 2004 it allowed and still does to use a hunt/ fish combo license with WMA use permit instead of High Impact permit one per machine. 90% of riders used this method, it will go away and require the below per person fees.

Proposed rate increase table:
Screenshot 20231108 214328 YouTube

Screenshot 20231108 214111 YouTube

Attachments

• 10-11-23.pdf
    254.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We need to get involved.
I don't mind a per/person charge. But not at double the rate of other systems.

To those interested in going.
And if you sign up to speak...
I will cover up to 3 - (2-bed) hotel rooms if need be for Thursday night.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
We need to get involved.
I don't mind a per/person charge. But not at double the rate of other systems.

To those interested in going.
And if you sign up to speak...
I will cover up to 3 - (2-bed) hotel rooms if need be for Thursday night.
I will attend the meeting to comment on my concerns. Been riding this area nearly 20 years, and listend to 7 hours of thier 2 prior streamed meetings on youtube last 48 hours. There is a few key points no one has brought up about the hunt fish license combo loophole they allow and it causes 90% loss in revenue for the trails but go to general TWRA fund instead.

They don't need to increase the amounts, they just need a permit that is for riding only per machine so 100% of that fee goes to the trails. Like $40 per day / $75 per week / or $125 Annually that is and OHV sticker on the machine, its that simple.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I will attend the meeting to comment on my concerns. Been riding this area nearly 20 years, and listend to 7 hours of thier 2 prior streamed meetings on youtube last 48 hours. There is a few key points no one has brought up about the hunt fish license combo loophole they allow and it causes 90% loss in revenue for the trails but go to general TWRA fund instead.

They don't need to increase the amounts, they just need a permit that is for riding only per machine so 100% of that fee goes to the trails. Like $40 per day / $75 per week / or $125 Annually that is and OHV sticker on the machine, its that simple.
Jackal you ever thought of running for office?.......got my vote!! 😂😂 Even though you ride a Yamaflaw

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That’s perfectly reasonable. Honestly they could raise the annual fee to $250 per SxS and maybe have ATV’s/dirt bikes in their own category at $125 and it would be reasonable in my mind.

They could even break the SxS’s down even further and charge say $500 annually if the machine is bigger than a Naturally Aspirated (NA) 1,000 cc limit. Because there are obviously bigger machines coming with the recent 2 liter engine announcements.

And a tire size limit is definitely a way to help stop the ruts from growing ever deeper and deeper.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That’s perfectly reasonable. Honestly they could raise the annual fee to $250 per SxS and maybe have ATV’s/dirt bikes in their own category at $125 and it would be reasonable in my mind.

They could even break the SxS’s down even further and charge say $500 annually if the machine is bigger than a Naturally Aspirated (NA) 1,000 cc limit. Because there are obviously bigger machines coming with the recent 2 liter engine announcements.

And a tire size limit is definitely a way to help stop the ruts from growing ever deeper and deeper.
Why stop there, they could charge Polaris riders an extra fee for being a higher risk of causing a wild fire........

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Here is more contacts if you feel like reaching out more. I put notes behind some of those speaking in video

Brandon Wear – TWRA Field Operations Deputy Director – [email protected] 615-781-6557(Presented rules changes at meeting)
Bill Cox – TFWC Statewide – [email protected] 901-828-7500 (wants even higher prices)
Kent Woods – TFWC District 2 – [email protected] 865-932-1101 (CAMPBELL COUNTY representative)
Hank Wright TFWC District 9 – [email protected] 901-853-7330 (wants less traffic on trails)
Brent Saylor – TN Senator – [email protected]
Mike Bell – Senior Advisor Legislative Affairs – [email protected]

These local agencies will be effected most by tax revenue.
[email protected] (Campbell County Chamber of Commerce)
[email protected] (Campbell County Mayor)
[email protected] (County Commissioners)
[email protected] (State Representative for Campbell County)

Topics to mention
- Tax revenue - Campbell county sales tax, hotel tax, tn sales tax (look at your bill from cabin or campsite for examples, especially when emailing Campbell County entities)
- Family cost for you 3,4,5 famliy members compared to current. No increase on trail damage for more people in one vehicle. Suggest continuing to charge by vehicle.
- Cost compared to Windrock and Brimstone. They were very misleading in video on this.
- Closing hunting license loophole. I don't think most of us opposed to this or reasonable increases if we don't have to have permit for everyone in machine. that alone will be nearly a 100% increase in revenue.
- How you visit local restaurants, fuel stations, brushy mountain etc. and enjoy TN.
- I don't know the the Job angle is a great way to go. I think that impact is minimal.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I posted elsewhere TWRA is proposing OHV fee increases that would result in a 400% increase for just two people to ride in one SXS vs. the current regulations. Below is an image of the official public notice of the public hearing being held in Gatlinburg TN on December 8th 2023. People attending can sign up and can address their concerns in person.

TWRA is also accepting written comments via email until December 5th 2023.

If you can't attend the hearing PLEASE email your comments to the commission, be respectful and professional, we have 50K members on this forum, even if only 5% email thats 1000 comments that show concerns of the considerable increase in costs for a family.

A sign-up sheet for public comment will be available at the day of the hearing. Written comments will be
accepted via email only until December 5th at 4:30 pm cst.

The email address to submit comments is:
[email protected]

Here is the Public Notice: the actual PDF is attached to this post.

View attachment 409088

When the original regulations were enacted in 2004 it allowed and still does to use a hunt/ fish combo license with WMA use permit instead of High Impact permit one per machine. 90% of riders used this method, it will go away and require the below per person fees.

Proposed rate increase table:
View attachment 409090
View attachment 409091
I was surprised I actually received a response to my email confirming receipt and adding it to the public comment file …
IMG 4662

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is the email I am sending and will be stating in person at the hearing, its a balanced measure that won't punish families if seriously considered.

Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission

RE: TN Fish and Wildlife Commission / North Cumberland OHV Permit & License Rulemaking Hearing

Dear Commissioners, I am writing to voice my sincere concern over the proposed North Cumberland OHV Permits and License Recommendations. I and my family have enjoyed riding ATV’s & OHV’s the North Cumberland WMA region since 2006 and have been a Tennessee resident since 2016, the recreational opportunities in Campbell, Scott, & Anderson counties along with the people and cost of living is what drew me to Tennessee as a permanent resident.

I agree as does the majority of the off-road community that there should be permits / Licenses in place that exclusively support the Wildlife Management Areas which have established trail systems. However, as has been touched on in previous public rulemaking hearings TWRA cannot establish how much of the current license / permit sales are being purchased by the OHV community, the responsibility of this oversight is directly related to the allowance of residents and non-residents to purchase Hunt / Fish combo licenses in weekly or annual fashion along with the $20 WMA use permit, the aforementioned combo is approximately 50% of the true intended High Impact Permit Fees. Couple that 50% reduction in revenue with not knowing if the Hunt Fish combo was for the intended purposes or actually for OHV use diverts the needed funding away from North Cumberland WMA maintenance for erosion and trails.

The correct way to address this would be to require the High Impact License of Fee be paid for every machine on a Weekly or Annual basis per machine, and use these monies exclusively on the North Cumberland WMA areas for maintenance. As is, the proposed Permit License Recommendations would result is a 400% increase for a family of 4 riding in one OHV. For example, since 2016 I have purchased the Hunt / Fish combo with WMA permit for an annual cost of $53 allowing my wife and I the opportunity to enjoy the outdoor and trails. The proposal would change that to $100 each or $200 for a resident couple, this is nearly a 400% increase which places an undue burden on TN residents especially those on a retiree income. We have 7 grandkids that visit and have ridden in the machine with us, adding fees for them as well makes this proposal prohibitively expensive. Please do not punish TN residents and taxpayers this way when 80% of the impact is from non-residents on the trails.

Over 90% of non-residents have been buying one Annual Hunt / Fish combo license with WMA permit for $130 per year, per machine under the proposed fee structure a non-resident family of four would have to pay $940 to ride in one machine (A 723% increase). This would drive away a considerable percentage of riders and negatively impact the tourism dollars they spend locally at campgrounds, stores, and restaurants.

In closing, I respectfully ask the Commission seriously consider a 24-month period of the proposed fees be enacted on a per machine basis instead of per person, reporting publicly each quarter the revenues collected and expenses incurred of the NCWMA’s, and determine after the first 12 months if those OHV Permits & License revenues will adequately address the needs to maintain the North Cumberland WMA’s prior to enacting a per person fee structure. This is still nearly a 200% increase over what TWRA has been collecting, and will properly identify the funds collected for OHV use in NCWMA’s

Sincerely,

Robert Stovall

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Here is the email I am sending and will be stating in person at the hearing, its a balanced measure that won't punish families if seriously considered.

RE: TN Fish and Wildlife Commission / North Cumberland OHV Permit & License Rulemaking Hearing

Dear Commissioners, I am writing to voice my sincere concern over the proposed North Cumberland OHV Permits and License Recommendations. I and my family have enjoyed riding ATV’s & OHV’s the North Cumberland WMA region since 2006 and have been a Tennessee resident since 2016, the recreational opportunities in Campbell, Scott, & Anderson counties along with the people and cost of living is what drew me to Tennessee as a permanent resident.

I agree as does the majority of the off-road community that there should be permits / Licenses in place that exclusively support the Wildlife Management Areas which have established trail systems. However, as has been touched on in previous public rulemaking hearings TWRA cannot establish how much of the current license / permit sales are being purchased by the OHV community, the responsibility of this oversight is directly related to the allowance of residents and non-residents to purchase Hunt / Fish combo licenses in weekly or annual fashion along with the $20 WMA use permit, the aforementioned combo is approximately 50% of the true intended High Impact Permit Fees. Couple that 50% reduction in revenue with not knowing if the Hunt Fish combo was for the intended purposes or actually for OHV use diverts the needed funding away from North Cumberland WMA maintenance for erosion and trails.

The correct way to address this would be to require the High Impact License of Fee be paid for every machine on a Weekly or Annual basis per machine, and use these monies exclusively on the North Cumberland WMA areas for maintenance. As is, the proposed Permit License Recommendations would result is a 400% increase for a family of 4 riding in one OHV. For example, since 2016 I have purchased the Hunt / Fish combo with WMA permit for an annual cost of $53 allowing my wife and I the opportunity to enjoy the outdoor and trails. The proposal would change that to $100 each or $200 for a resident couple, this is nearly a 400% increase which places an undue burden on TN residents especially those on a retiree income. We have 7 grandkids that visit and have ridden in the machine with us, adding fees for them as well makes this proposal prohibitively expensive. Please do not punish TN residents and taxpayers this way when 80% of the impact is from non-residents on the trails.

Over 90% of non-residents have been buying one Annual Hunt / Fish combo license with WMA permit for $130 per year, per machine under the proposed fee structure a non-resident family of four would have to pay $940 to ride in one machine (A 723% increase). This would drive away a considerable percentage of riders and negatively impact the tourism dollars they spend locally at campgrounds, stores, and restaurants.

In closing, I respectfully ask the Commission seriously consider a 24-month period of the proposed fees be enacted on a per machine basis instead of per person, reporting publicly each quarter the revenues collected and expenses incurred of the NCWMA’s, and determine after the first 12 months if those OHV Permits & License revenues will adequately address the needs to maintain the North Cumberland WMA’s prior to enacting a per person fee structure. This is still nearly a 200% increase over what TWRA has been collecting, and will properly identify the funds collected for OHV use in NCWMA’s

Sincerely,

Robert Stovall
Very nicely written. I think it is always helps to personalize letter if you are able to. But anything sent is better than nothing.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Sincerely,

Robert Stovall
Well stated.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
These types of correspondence should be shared with folks in local and state positions who may have influence over these sorts of things. A squeaky wheel usually gets the grease.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!