HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

This article is a general guide at best.

I don't know when the writer last updated this article (if ever). Unfortunately, the source is not up to date for West Virginia where I live now.

About two and a half years ago WV implemented a new law allowing the use of ATV/UTVs on public streets and two lane highways that meet vehicle safety code requirements and are insured, inspected, and licensed.

The requirements include three rear view mirrors, two head and taillamps, turn signals, emergency flashers, and horn.

Last edited:
C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah the Texas law referenced is out of date and incorrect. Without reprinting the whole section it basically allows use in any planned community with 35 mph speed limits (note, not MAY allow but allows as of now HOA may not prohibit although they can enforce noise limits and require slow vehicle sign for those limited to 25 mph) and counties and cities MAY allow it on 35 mph and under roads. Sadly a guy and his child were killed a couple of months ago in a head on when a truck crossed the centerline. The article went on to point out that the UTV was being operated legally (if it had lights) on a 35 mph road.

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
You mean cursed. It sucks here! (Don’t let on to how good we have it!)
It's a rough place when the fan base for Tennessee collegiate sporting events wear hi vis orange jail/prison garb to sporting events. Maybe picking up trash along the side of the road for tickets kind of thing going on?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The guide is correct for Ohio but there is another set of laws for farmers. Farmers can travel on the roads if thry are going to and from farming operations. The machine must have a bed on it. Example, I'm checking cows on the farm down the road or I'm putting out mineral and salt, etc. This may not help most on the form but around home for me I got buddies with farms here and there so I can say I'm checking, feeding, etc. I haven't been stopped an asked, they don't mess with you to much around here. But I also live in the southern tip of Ohio, almost WV.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Michigan's description was vague at best. Here it's up to the county to decide if buggies/atvs are allowed on the public roads, All of the counties in the Upper Penninsula are open, also state forests in the UP are "Open unless posted closed", basically you can go wherever you want with some minor exceptions. The federal forests are another matter, most of it's closed with only a couple routes open. Luckily, where I live I'm surrounded by state land.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's a rough place when the fan base for Tennessee collegiate sporting events wear hi vis orange jail/prison garb to sporting events. Maybe picking up trash along the side of the road for tickets kind of thing going on?
We beat the oxy/meth addicts from Kentucky in that Orange so it does work.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In Northern Ontario we can drive on any road with a speed limit of 80 km (50mph) or less. We get a lifetime plate when we register the machine. We have to have insurance if we take it off of our property. No mods or upgrades required

Reactions: 906UP
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
In Illinois, you're barely allowed to drive it on your own property...

A couple of towns by us do allow UTVs on city maintained streets if you have an Amish triangle and flashers/lights/windshield/mirrors, but I can't cross the river between the two because it's a US numbered highway......

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!