AMG Engine Testing, Assembly, Verification, etc.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I spent a week in Germany at the Sinsheim plant and a day in Affalterbach with AMG before Benz acquired them. At that point, the G Wagon was assembled in Bremen. They stamped, welded and assembled in one huge Campus. They even had their own tannery and wood shop within the campus. At that time AMG purchased vehicles and modified them in Affalterbach. They also built armored vehicles for dignitaries world wide. It was truly an incredible experience. I also spent a day at Porsche touring their plant in Zuffenhaussen. My Ex flew over afterwards and we toured Germany, Italy and France in a new 560SL that I took delivery of while there. We spent an additional 6 weeks running the s*** out of it and having a blast. I also received a speeding ticket on the Autobahn, not realizing there were controlled areas. I'm guessing they screwed with us due to the tourist plates on the car?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Cool video, engine assembly would be a cool job to have.

Did you catch the timing belt comment?

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, what a life experience ! Seeing the technology and craftsmanship and attention to detail would be inspiring to anyone in their daily life and profession.

Thank you for sharing this.

I know several people who have been to Marinello and toured the Ferrari factory. They said there were glassed areas with plants that were rotated in and out and maintained by specific staff.

They have 25,000 trees and 200 plant species to help manage humidity, clean the air, and provide comfort for workers. The plants are located in two large areas in the middle of the body shop.

I have a friend, who may be retired now, he worked at Timmonsville, SC, in the Honda ATV plant.

Another different world. No layoffs. If parts were short, you swept the floor up mowed grass, you got your check, but not sent home.

You came to work, put on the prerequisite Honda uniform, footwear, etc. He said there was a little Japanese man from Japan that was some kind of supervisor. He didn't speak much, or any English and always had a translator with him.

If you came out with another hat, other than the Honda required hat, like a Dale Earnhardt cap, as you walked out of the dressing room, he'd grab the hat and yell to wear the right hat. Wear the uniform.

If you threw a gum wrapper in the floor and, not in the trashcan... You got admonished and possibly written up.

It was to be clean, professional, by the book, almost military. Follow the rules and build the product the best specs possible.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wow, what a life experience ! Seeing the technology and craftsmanship and attention to detail would be inspiring to anyone in their daily life and profession.

Thank you for sharing this.

I know several people who have been to Marinello and toured the Ferrari factory. They said there were glassed areas with plants that were rotated in and out and maintained by specific staff.

They have 25,000 trees and 200 plant species to help manage humidity, clean the air, and provide comfort for workers. The plants are located in two large areas in the middle of the body shop.

I have a friend, who may be retired now, he worked at Timmonsville, SC, in the Honda ATV plant.

Another different world. No layoffs. If parts were short, you swept the floor up mowed grass, you got your check, but not sent home.

You came to work, put on the prerequisite Honda uniform, footwear, etc. He said there was a little Japanese man from Japan that was some kind of supervisor. He didn't speak much, or any English and always had a translator with him.

If you came out with another hat, other than the Honda required hat, like a Dale Earnhardt cap, as you walked out of the dressing room, he'd grab the hat and yell to wear the right hat. Wear the uniform.

If you threw a gum wrapper in the floor and, not in the trashcan... You got admonished and possibly written up.

It was to be clean, professional, by the book, almost military. Follow the rules and build the product the best specs possible.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have been to that facility in SC a few times and I can attest to the fact that it was spotless.

They also had an awesome cafeteria.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the posts, Jerry

Quick story

Pittsburg Texas. Home to Caroll Shelby and James Cavender. James and Pat started a clothing business. James owns Cavender's Boot City.

I'll call and get the details of how they met. But, Schumi loved Texas western lore and especially the clothes, as did his wife.

He owned and flew his own silver eight-seat Dassault Falcon 2000EX private jet. They would fly to Texas and load the plane with clothes, boots, photos, paintings of Texas origin. James sold pieces of wood 7"x10" (or close), they had several different strands of rusted, authentic, historical barbed wire and the name below. It wasn't expensive, but it was very interesting. Michael loved those and was proud of his collection. Like I say, not outrageously excited l expensive, but he loved to show other people, who visited from around the world his "Texas Collection".

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the posts, Jerry

Quick story

Pittsburg Texas. Home to Caroll Shelby and James Cavender. James and Pat started a clothing business. James owns Cavender's Boot City.

I'll call and get the details of how they met. But, Schumi loved Texas western lore and especially the clothes, as did his wife.

He owned and flew his own silver eight-seat Dassault Falcon 2000EX private jet. They would fly to Texas and load the plane with clothes, boots, photos, paintings of Texas origin. James sold pieces of wood 7"x10" (or close), they had several different strands of rusted, authentic, historical barbed wire and the name below. It wasn't expensive, but it was very interesting. Michael loved those and was proud of his collection. Like I say, not outrageously excited l expensive, but he loved to show other people, who visited from around the world his "Texas Collection".

I heard him and his wife were good people. But, I am sure just like ol' #3, people on the track with him didn't think so.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Worked on a project with a guy that owned an AMG . It was more like a sedan than a sports car though. I didn't know anything about them, never got into the Mercedes thing. Told me how this car was sent to AMG and they customized it. Everything on it is numbered and specific. Lots of carbon fiber. Told me to jump in, make a run to Timmy Ho's for some coffee and you're driving...What?! He kept saying quit being a puss and get on it, I got it up to speed a little but nothing crazy. We got our coffee and he drove back...Damn!! That car fly's! Hunging curves, the bolsters on the seats would adjust on their own to hold you in, like an automated hug. Got back to the job and he showed me the launch mode, threw the sunglasses off the top of my head.
I knew a little more about them after that.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trigger, thank you for sharing this experience.

To hear this from the actual source of what it was like and what happened and resulted... Was very nice to hear and know about

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I emailed my friend in Waco. He managed Cavender Boot City for James.

He replied...

" I know he (James Cavender) was friends and a sometimes neighbor with Carroll Shelby. Carroll had a place next to James and was there at times when he wasn't in CA. I have been trying to remember the couple that came in the store often and told me that they managed a ranch where Michael & his wife would stay when he would fly to Gainesville. He said they were so nice and Michael would cook for them. They loved Wal*Mart and shopping. They would have their purchases delivered to the airfield and they said they would fill the plane with purchases. I was looking forward to their next visit and hoped to get an opportunity to meet Michael, but he was injured and that went away."

• Love
Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I emailed my friend in Waco. He managed Cavender Boot City for James.

He replied...

" I know he (James Cavender) was friends and a sometimes neighbor with Carroll Shelby. Carroll had a place next to James and was there at times when he wasn't in CA. I have been trying to remember the couple that came in the store often and told me that they managed a ranch where Michael & his wife would stay when he would fly to Gainesville. He said they were so nice and Michael would cook for them. They loved Wal*Mart and shopping. They would have their purchases delivered to the airfield and they said they would fill the plane with purchases. I was looking forward to their next visit and hoped to get an opportunity to meet Michael, but he was injured and that went away."

Awesome, thanks for posting.

Reactions: TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was lucky enough to see a handful of F! races when Micheal was racing.

For a number of years, I would drive up to Montreal for the Canadian GP.

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was lucky enough to see a handful of F! races when Micheal was racing.

For a number of years, I would drive up to Montreal for the Canadian GP.
It's too bad that we can't understand the historical significance of things we witness and have no idea how important they will be later.

Reactions: Jerryg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!