Multi Ammo Can Wood Stove

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey everyone, been thinking about this for a while, and finally built one last week. Finished it up last night, and used it for a heat source while I was smoking a full pork shoulder. Works great!

IMG 20160130 140018 zps7ebjttox
Burning away nice and clean yesterday, this was with the BBQ grill in, gets nice and hot, and very little if any smoke once up to heat, get some flames coming up the flue.

IMG 20160129 203034 zpsirfv4mwt
I setup the air intake so it forces the fresh air down and under the bottom fire grate, when combined with the baffle this produces near zero smoke (I could stick my face in the exhaust at the end of the flue with little or no irritation, just pretty warm), and very little flame making it into the flue, nearly all energy is being dissipated and radiated by the firebox.

IMG 20160129 202934 zpsjuejsoth
Here you can see with the lid removed. That top grate comes out, and is replaced with the baffle when running in stove mode, but you can run it this way, and it's a little grill for cooking over open fire.

The grill, legs, and baffle all fit inside, and closes up for ease of transport, if you're using it outside, I've found 1 3' section of 4" venting is enough, if I were using it in a wall tent or something, then a little more venting would be required. All in all, a fun build, and a great use for a surplus ammo can!

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great idea! It's small enough that you can carry it in the pioneer for camping trips.
Exactly, also I'll have to check with the forest service, but with a vent cap that includes a spark arrestor on top, I should be able to use it when we're out camping during fire ban season as well, no more cold fire-less nights!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey everyone, been thinking about this for a while, and finally built one last week. Finished it up last night, and used it for a heat source while I was smoking a full pork shoulder. Works great!

IMG 20160130 140018 zps7ebjttox
Burning away nice and clean yesterday, this was with the BBQ grill in, gets nice and hot, and very little if any smoke once up to heat, get some flames coming up the flue.

IMG 20160129 203034 zpsirfv4mwt
I setup the air intake so it forces the fresh air down and under the bottom fire grate, when combined with the baffle this produces near zero smoke (I could stick my face in the exhaust at the end of the flue with little or no irritation, just pretty warm), and very little flame making it into the flue, nearly all energy is being dissipated and radiated by the firebox.

IMG 20160129 202934 zpsjuejsoth
Here you can see with the lid removed. That top grate comes out, and is replaced with the baffle when running in stove mode, but you can run it this way, and it's a little grill for cooking over open fire.

The grill, legs, and baffle all fit inside, and closes up for ease of transport, if you're using it outside, I've found 1 3' section of 4" venting is enough, if I were using it in a wall tent or something, then a little more venting would be required. All in all, a fun build, and a great use for a surplus ammo can!
I love the innovation!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I guess so. Lol.
I'm looking for a small oil burner to heat a small shop.
Haha, I didn't think of you meaning it that way. Yes, I can't see why you couldn't easily put a gravity drip oil reservoir to it. For smoking meat you can have (and really need) a low temp fire, lots of smoke. For heating purposes one needs the opposite. I don't know how well the thin gauge of an ammo can would hold up to that??

Reactions: Smitty335
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
The first time I used it, I was able to get pretty much the whole thing, and most of the flue red hot with just wood. I don't think it would stand up to the heat from an oil burner, unless you built some type of little burn chamber that sat inside of it. Hmmmm. I've seen some other designs that use old propane tanks and stuff, would probably be a better fit.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
That would make his pork shoulder taste like s***. ;)
Naw, too small to be a smoker. Works decently to cook on though, and as a small heat source. So far I've found I have to use pretty small wood to get it burning well, it's perfect for small twigs and suff you can find in the forest, similar to the rocket stoves. I have a couple old free propane tanks earmarked for the next build over the winter.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I built one from a 50 cal can and it worked pretty well as long as it ran wide open. If I tried to throttle back it went out. Had better luck with a rocket stove but it wouldn't work for a tent which is why I pulled up this old topic...to wit...does anyone use a wood stove to heat their fairly small tent. Friends I used to hunt with had a 8' x 16' canvas tent and was wonderful to come back to on a cold day sitting on you butt waiting for a critter to walk within range.

I have a 6 person (really two with cots) 12'x12' Cabela's tent that I seldom use since it takes a large area to erect. I'm thinking about installing a stove jack and buying a wood stove to heat the tent. I usually sleep in a hammock and I prefer it to most cots or the ground...but it would be nice to sit inside the tent on a cold rainy or snowing day and be warm.

Anyone doing this????

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I built one from a 50 cal can and it worked pretty well as long as it ran wide open. If I tried to throttle back it went out. Had better luck with a rocket stove but it wouldn't work for a tent which is why I pulled up this old topic...to wit...does anyone use a wood stove to heat their fairly small tent. Friends I used to hunt with had a 8' x 16' canvas tent and was wonderful to come back to on a cold day sitting on you butt waiting for a critter to walk within range.

I have a 6 person (really two with cots) 12'x12' Cabela's tent that I seldom use since it takes a large area to erect. I'm thinking about installing a stove jack and buying a wood stove to heat the tent. I usually sleep in a hammock and I prefer it to most cots or the ground...but it would be nice to sit inside the tent on a cold rainy or snowing day and be warm.

Anyone doing this????
This is what I bought for the tent, or even just outside for the camp. 1/8” steel, but compact and light, the legs pop off and store inside the firebox because it’s portable, designed for the English sheep herders that moved with the herd....

4” flu..........

CD9D41CE C2AC 4DC6 97A5 0F4089ADDAAE

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's very nice and I'm impressed with those sheep herders! I think I was thinking of a TI one that folds up and you can carry under your arm. Light and portable is what they used to tell the Roman soldier about their catapults.

What's the rate of burn on that one? Most of the small stoves only last a couple hours or so. That one looks like it would last a lot longer once the steel gets heated up.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What's the rate of burn on that one? Most of the small stoves only last a couple hours or so. That one looks like it would last a lot longer once the steel gets heated up.
I’ll let you know after I have my first fire in it....🤣

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Use presta logs.

Easy

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Use presta logs.

Easy
YES is is!!
The local plant that makes pellets and logs has fire starters (or did) that has a wick with lots of wax on the basically sawdust mix that worked great. A good carpenter could probably make those. I hear navel lint works too.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!