Wood Working - Suggestions For A Forum To Learn From.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am starting wood working and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good forum to learn and gain knowledge from. Thank you!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I don't check forums much unless I'm looking for gear reviews or something. I mostly stick to YouTube folks for ideas and inspiration. Blacktail studios is a good one, Jay Bates is another I like.

What kind of stuff are you getting into? I barely dabble in it but would love to go much deeper down the rabbit hole. Plan within the next year is to finish and furnish my shop with all the major appliances; SawStop TS, 8" helical jointer and 20" helical planer, drill press, etc. I've already got a few items but won't be buying anymore until I can get my barn fully insulated and climate controlled. My last new TS got smoked from the humidity swings in an uninsulated barn. Never again.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't check forums much unless I'm looking for gear reviews or something. I mostly stick to YouTube folks for ideas and inspiration. Blacktail studios is a good one, Jay Bates is another I like.

What kind of stuff are you getting into? I barely dabble in it but would love to go much deeper down the rabbit hole. Plan within the next year is to finish and furnish my shop with all the major appliances; SawStop TS, 8" helical jointer and 20" helical planer, drill press, etc. I've already got a few items but won't be buying anymore until I can get my barn fully insulated and climate controlled. My last new TS got smoked from the humidity swings in an uninsulated barn. Never again.
I am starting with cutting boards. I have plans for tables and potentially chairs. As I get more time I plan to do more intricate things. Currently I just acquired a Grizzly G1066, Grizzly G0855, Grizzly G0513AO, Dewalt Planer, HF dust collector, Delta 36-725, and Bosch Get65. I want a compound slide saw and then I should be ready to make my first board :p

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am currently watching blacktail :p

I would like to dabble in the epoxy stuff.

Reactions: ChadD and Coeus
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I am starting with cutting boards. I have plans for tables and potentially chairs. As I get more time I plan to do more intricate things. Currently I just acquired a Grizzly G1066, Grizzly G0855, Grizzly G0513AO, Dewalt Planer, HF dust collector, Delta 36-725, and Bosch Get65. I want a compound slide saw and then I should be ready to make my first board :p

Nice selection! I had a Delta 36-725, but it didn't survive the humidity. Ended up throwing it away after trying to fix the motor. I also have a 0513x2 which is a beast of a bandsaw. Love it for resaws (timberwolf blade) and rough milling logs I find out in the woods. Also recommend the bosch sliding miter if you're looking for one. Nothing but praise for mine so far. Did all the trim in my house with it as well as the laminate flooring. Super nice to not have the long rails hanging out the back.

Would love to have a drum sander eventually, but will probably start with taking very light (yet still sketchy) cuts with the planer should I decide to crank out some end-grain cutting boards.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice selection! I had a Delta 36-725, but it didn't survive the humidity. Ended up throwing it away after trying to fix the motor. I also have a 0513x2 which is a beast of a bandsaw. Love it for resaws (timberwolf blade) and rough milling logs I find out in the woods. Also recommend the bosch sliding miter if you're looking for one. Nothing but praise for mine so far. Did all the trim in my house with it as well as the laminate flooring. Super nice to not have the long rails hanging out the back.

Would love to have a drum sander eventually, but will probably start with taking very light (yet still sketchy) cuts with the planer should I decide to crank out some end-grain cutting boards.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
I haven't had an opportunity to use any of my stuff yet. It is all still sealed in their boxes. The drum sander however I purchased used. I have 2 of them and I am really tore between them. A couple weeks ago I bought a G1079R I paid $1000 for. It is a clean machine that came with 6 rolls of never used sandpaper and it is on the riser stand. Last week I bought an older G1066 that is not the prettiest looking machine but mechanically is very smooth. The owner made a mobile base with heavy duty casters for it. I like the wider 24" G1066 and I like the thinner capability of the G1066 @ 1/8" vs the G1079R 1/4". I paid $700 for the G1066. One of the two will be up for sale soonish after I get a chance to play with them. I pickup the bandsaw tomorrow at the grizzly store in Springfield.

Reactions: Red500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!