TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess this is the right place.

When Android first came out, I was on a couple of forums.

But, after years of many changes, I don't think I can recognize the ones I used

Can anyone recommend one that would resemble the Honda SxS forum? Adults, serious, HELPFUL, honest?

Thank you

But, after years of many changes, I don't think I can recognize the ones I used

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1K5Dave, sorry for the slow reply. I appreciate that info. I'm trying to get info on a new phone and haven't used the forums in a while.

I'm about to buy a Motorola edge+ 2023.

I've had a Moto Z4 for years with no issues.

BUT, over the last few weeks, it's been lagging and freezing up. And, it started showing up with many duplicate contacts. And when I import a backup, if a contact has six phone numbers, they all say HOME. I have to repair that manually and some contacts are missing their photo or company logo.

I use two Gmail accounts. One for business and one personal.

I have the personal set to the one where all new contacts entered go to. And, back up to the business so both accounts will always have identical contacts.

it's worked flawlessly for so long that I'm not sure about the "sync across devices" setting. Maybe that's where the duplicates are coming back from or if it has something to do with showing all contacts and not just phone or email.

It doesn't seem to matter how I toggle the backup to, sync with, etc., I get all these duplicate contacts and merging seems to just add a lot of redundant information like the same addresses within the same contact that I have to delete.

I have been trouble free for so long, I don't know if I've lost my mind or it's my phone.

I always save my contacts as vcf files in Google drive and import from there. Lately, when I save a new contact in Google drive as a vcf and import it, all the phone numbers say home. And, I have to fix that. But the emails are correct. I don't understand why... If the data is there when I save it, why it does not import correctly?

I still have Android 10 and no updates in a couple of years.

I needs new phone and I prefer Motorola or Lenovo, whatever you want to call it as I've never had a resume l failure and they have all the radio patents and great radio technology.

I just wanted to get this contacts problem sorted out before I buy the new phone.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With your phone lagging and behaving badly, the problem is probably within corrupted memory and such. I don't think I'd worry about trying to resolve it on the old phone, take care of the issues during the transfer to your new phone.

If you go on to your carriers store to get the new phone, they can take care of the transfer for you, and if you get a knowledgeable rep they can probably handle the duplicates for you.

Reactions: TxDoc and CID
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
P1K5Dave, sorry for the slow reply. I appreciate that info. I'm trying to get info on a new phone and haven't used the forums in a while.

I'm about to buy a Motorola edge+ 2023.

I've had a Moto Z4 for years with no issues.

BUT, over the last few weeks, it's been lagging and freezing up. And, it started showing up with many duplicate contacts. And when I import a backup, if a contact has six phone numbers, they all say HOME. I have to repair that manually and some contacts are missing their photo or company logo.

I use two Gmail accounts. One for business and one personal.

I have the personal set to the one where all new contacts entered go to. And, back up to the business so both accounts will always have identical contacts.

it's worked flawlessly for so long that I'm not sure about the "sync across devices" setting. Maybe that's where the duplicates are coming back from or if it has something to do with showing all contacts and not just phone or email.

It doesn't seem to matter how I toggle the backup to, sync with, etc., I get all these duplicate contacts and merging seems to just add a lot of redundant information like the same addresses within the same contact that I have to delete.

I have been trouble free for so long, I don't know if I've lost my mind or it's my phone.

I always save my contacts as vcf files in Google drive and import from there. Lately, when I save a new contact in Google drive as a vcf and import it, all the phone numbers say home. And, I have to fix that. But the emails are correct. I don't understand why... If the data is there when I save it, why it does not import correctly?

I still have Android 10 and no updates in a couple of years.

I needs new phone and I prefer Motorola or Lenovo, whatever you want to call it as I've never had a resume l failure and they have all the radio patents and great radio technology.

I just wanted to get this contacts problem sorted out before I buy the new phone.
The only way you will ever resolve all your duplicated contacts is to go in and fix them from home work mobile etc. then delete the duplicates if you don't Google backs up exactly what you have. So either clean everything up contact wise on the phone or via a computer (what I would do) logged into Google in your contacts lists both personal and business. You do that first it will import a good clean list of contacts with your new device.

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Assuming you are syncing all your contacts with Google Contacts: The web app it can/will fix/merge the duplicates for you, too (see pic below).

Also, make sure you're not (inadvertently) storying contacts in multiple places. When you add a contact on the phone, it can store it locally or in any contact list you are syncing with (e.g., Google Contacts). You can actually be syncing with multiple external contact lists (e.g., Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.), also adding some locally ONLY, that can create a mess.

Choose ONE place to keep/sync all your contacts to avoid the mess that gets created by storing them in multiple places AND syncing to an external location.

If you're going to get a new phone, then just disable syncing your contacts with your old phone, go clean it up on the web, then set up your new phone to sync.

- OR -

If you want to give it a whirl and try to keep the old phone, disable syncing your contacts, back up anything on the phone you want to keep (if not already doing that), reset/wipe the old phone (factory reset), and only AFTER you go on the web and clean up your Google contacts, enable syncing your contacts/calender/etc.

Personally, the only Google app I use is the Contact list (I do not use Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Photos, etc.), and that's where I sync all my devices to. All contacts go in there and are synced - none are stored locally on the device(s). I use Dropbox (paid) and have my phone set to upload every picture taken (instantly). Finally, I use Fastmail (paid) so all mail is stored/accessed in the cloud and, if a device is syncing, it uses IMAP and not POP3 (IMAP leaves it in the cloud while POP3 downloads it to the device and removes from the cloud, if so configured). Sure, you can do the same with your email and pics with free accounts like Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc., but I avoid the free solutions for a wide variety of reason, mostly involving security, reliability, storage limitations, and privacy.

The reason I do what I do is that I can literally replace my phone (lost, stolen, or if I just decide to reset the phone to factory settings and start over), nothing is lost, and I'm back to 100% in mere minutes with almost zero effort. Nearly 500 contacts are added in seconds, my email is untouched, and all the photos that were on the old device were already synced to Dropbox in real time. All is accessible on the web, too. All I have to do is re-add my apps (easy from the Google Play Store list), as I always take the opportunity of a new phone to only re-install the apps I'm really using and weed out the crap that I installed since the last time I refreshed.

Oh, if you use a MFA application, I strongly suggest using Authy AND having more than one device associated with your account -- by far the easiest way to add/re-add your lost/replaced device as an MFA device versus other MFA solutions.

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With your phone lagging and behaving badly, the problem is probably within corrupted memory and such. I don't think I'd worry about trying to resolve it on the old phone, take care of the issues during the transfer to your new phone.

If you go on to your carriers store to get the new phone, they can take care of the transfer for you, and if you get a knowledgeable rep they can probably handle the duplicates for you.
Thank you very much P1K5Dave. I'm gonna do that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only way you will ever resolve all your duplicated contacts is to go in and fix them from home work mobile etc. then delete the duplicates if you don't Google backs up exactly what you have. So either clean everything up contact wise on the phone or via a computer (what I would do) logged into Google in your contacts lists both personal and business. You do that first it will import a good clean list of contacts with your new device.
Thank you JACKAL , I appreciate the help very much.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Assuming you are syncing all your contacts with Google Contacts: The web app it can/will fix/merge the duplicates for you, too (see pic below).

Also, make sure you're not (inadvertently) storying contacts in multiple places. When you add a contact on the phone, it can store it locally or in any contact list you are syncing with (e.g., Google Contacts). You can actually be syncing with multiple external contact lists (e.g., Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc.), also adding some locally ONLY, that can create a mess.

Choose ONE place to keep/sync all your contacts to avoid the mess that gets created by storing them in multiple places AND syncing to an external location.

If you're going to get a new phone, then just disable syncing your contacts with your old phone, go clean it up on the web, then set up your new phone to sync.

- OR -

If you want to give it a whirl and try to keep the old phone, disable syncing your contacts, back up anything on the phone you want to keep (if not already doing that), reset/wipe the old phone (factory reset), and only AFTER you go on the web and clean up your Google contacts, enable syncing your contacts/calender/etc.

Personally, the only Google app I use is the Contact list (I do not use Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Photos, etc.), and that's where I sync all my devices to. All contacts go in there and are synced - none are stored locally on the device(s). I use Dropbox (paid) and have my phone set to upload every picture taken (instantly). Finally, I use Fastmail (paid) so all mail is stored/accessed in the cloud and, if a device is syncing, it uses IMAP and not POP3 (IMAP leaves it in the cloud while POP3 downloads it to the device and removes from the cloud, if so configured). Sure, you can do the same with your email and pics with free accounts like Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc., but I avoid the free solutions for a wide variety of reason, mostly involving security, reliability, storage limitations, and privacy.

The reason I do what I do is that I can literally replace my phone (lost, stolen, or if I just decide to reset the phone to factory settings and start over), nothing is lost, and I'm back to 100% in mere minutes with almost zero effort. Nearly 500 contacts are added in seconds, my email is untouched, and all the photos that were on the old device were already synced to Dropbox in real time. All is accessible on the web, too. All I have to do is re-add my apps (easy from the Google Play Store list), as I always take the opportunity of a new phone to only re-install the apps I'm really using and weed out the crap that I installed since the last time I refreshed.

Oh, if you use a MFA application, I strongly suggest using Authy AND having more than one device associated with your account -- by far the easiest way to add/re-add your lost/replaced device as an MFA device versus other MFA solutions.

View attachment 409607
I think that's what has probably happened with contacts backed up on the phone, on Google 1, the contacts.Google.com, etc. All those backed up sources are found and compiled into a snowball of contacts.

I'm going to copy this info a file for future reference and to share with others.

Very sorry for the slow reply. I must not have alerts set for this and just checked on it this morning.

Thank ALL OF YOU very much.

I'm going to get my contacts straightened out, then get the new phone.

I must me low on system resources as only when Bluetooth is activated, I get a lag when doing things.

This new phone I want has 12 GB of RAM, 512 Internal storage, no SD card since it has 1/2 terabyte of memory LPDDR5X....

And, the processor is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!