Best Bill Pay Service (Bank or otherwise)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Been using Bank of America's bill pay service for elevendy billion years. While I think the UI and features are one of the best I've found so far (e.g., exceptional layout, navigation and user experience, eBills delivered directly to online banking portal, etc.), I'm really sick and tired of doing my banking with those Commie bastards.

Note that I said banking, so I'm only referring to checking and bill pay. We save, borrow, and invest at various other institutions, so this is strictly related to checking and bill pay and online banking services. I have savings, checking, money market, and investing accounts at a variety of other places, but I haven't found an online banking experience that rivals BoA.

What bank or bill pay service do you use for your personal checking and bill pay? What do you like and dislike about them? Thanks.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
75c69d1531f2dbbd4039b026948b5c2b218d4045ca322314 1

I use USAA for everything (bill pay, youth account controls, trading, business, retirement, etc) and would not trade it for the world......... well maybe, but probably not

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Been using Bank of America's bill pay service for elevendy billion years. While I think the UI and features are one of the best I've found so far (e.g., exceptional layout, navigation and user experience, eBills delivered directly to online banking portal, etc.), I'm really sick and tired of doing my banking with those Commie bastards.

Note that I said banking, so I'm only referring to checking and bill pay. We save, borrow, and invest at various other institutions, so this is strictly related to checking and bill pay and online banking services. I have savings, checking, money market, and investing accounts at a variety of other places, but I haven't found an online banking experience that rivals BoA.

What bank or bill pay service do you use for your personal checking and bill pay? What do you like and dislike about them? Thanks.
I use my local bank who has changed names\owners more than I can remember for my bill pay - works well, no issues. Just look at paper bill, see when its due, schedule it and move on.

I never auto pay anything. Utilities can make mistakes and grab a lot of money - look at Texas electric customers last year - drained many bank accounts. In fact, I get all paper copies for my 7 bills I pay each month. I only buy online thru PayPal linked to a debit account, no exceptions - they have saved my butt on some stuff over the years.

Im a tight ass, frugal as can be, cars\toys\etc. - if I cant write a check for it, I cant afford it. It kills me I still owe 2 years on my mortgage.

I don't use credit cards, have 2 that I buy something with each year for $2-$3 bucks to keep my credit score strong.

I know I am giving away money by not getting the 1% or so cash back - but just me.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had good luck with Bellco Credit Union, been with them since I hired on the phone company. I don't think they've gone woke/communist ... yet.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A local CU, none are set up on "auto bill pay", I handle it myself. We only have a couple as it is, electric bill, life insurance, trash bill.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I never auto pay anything. Utilities can make mistakes and grab a lot of money - look at Texas electric customers last year - drained many bank accounts.
Neither do I. Don't confuse eBills with auto-pay.

eBills are simply electronic versions of your (once) paper bills that show up in your online banking and wait for YOU to actively do something with. You are notified when a new bill shows up (text, email, and/or when you login). You then log into your bank web site, review the eBill, and schedule a date and amount that the bank will send your money TO them, either via EFT (electronic funds transfer or a paper check if they don't accept EFT.

Sure, you CAN set up a bill to be automatically scheduled to be paid (e.g., send the balance due on the due date of the eBill or perhaps set up your car payment or mortgage payment to go out on a specific day each month), but you're still in control of it going out (you can cancel or modify a payment). NOBODY can "drain" your account (or even take a nickel) unless you actively send it to them.

In short, you are in complete control, as you haven't authorized anyone to withdraw money from your account. eBills are nice because they don't get lost in the USPS mail. And, at least with BoA, it costs me nothing to pay a bill with their online banking, regardless of whether they send the payment via EFT or mail out a paper check.

I've been using online banking and eBill with BoA for the better part of 15+ years. I've never had any issues. The few times they didn't send a payment out, they notified the other party that THEY (BoA) screwed up and that resolved it with zero fees and zero reported missing or late payments. And that's only happened 2 or 3 times.

I don't use credit cards, have 2 that I buy something with each year for $2-$3 bucks to keep my credit score strong.
The problem with credit cards isn't using the card. It's failing to pay the balance off every month.

I can't remember the last time I carried a balance on a credit card, yet we use a variety of cards to make thousand of dollars of purchases each month, earning some decent cash rewards. I actually pay cards off sometimes 2 or 3 times in single month.

I haven't paid a nickel of interest using a credit card in several decade, yet we earn hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars in rewards every year. We earn in excess of $500 per year on gasoline purchases alone, just for using a card that gives us 4% of all gasoline purchases (and that's ALL we use THAT card for). The vast majority of everything we purchase with a card earns us 2% back (minimum), with quite a few purchases earning twice as much back or more. Why hand over a debit card when you can hand over a different piece of plastic and earn 2-3-4-5% or more back?

I respect those who choose to not use a credit card for whatever reason they want. But if you're responsible enough, you can save hundreds to thousands of dollars per year just for presenting a different card @ the checkout register and paying your balance off each month.

I know I am giving away money by not getting the 1% or so cash back - but just me.

Whatever you feel most comfortable with is what matters most. But if you use the right cards, it's easily 2 to 5 percent, not 1.

Reactions: monbecca and TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Old school, most are paper bills and all but 1 are paper checks. Yeah it costs money, and time, and stamps and... my finances are never phucked up sooo....
I've used online bill pay and eBills for a decade and a half. It costs me $0 and my finances are not only never phucked up, but I know instantly when even $1 is spent (text notifications).

Reactions: TxDoc
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
A local CU, none are set up on "auto bill pay", I handle it myself. We only have a couple as it is, electric bill, life insurance, trash bill.
Never ever authorize a creditor to debit your account (auto pay) UNLESS you're getting a tangible benefit for it (e.g., a 0.5% reduction on your mortgage rate)

I have accounts with two credit unions, one local (25 year relationship) and Pentagon Federal Credit Union (they had/have a 5% cash back card for many years). My biggest complaint is most of the credit unions all use the same two or three different online bill pay service providers. They don't run their own IT for this, they just pay a third party to do it and just re-brand it with their name ... and it STINKS compared to most other online bill pay services.

Reactions: TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Neither do I. Don't confuse eBills with auto-pay.

eBills are simply electronic versions of your (once) paper bills that show up in your online banking and wait for YOU to actively do something with. You are notified when a new bill shows up (text, email, and/or when you login). You then log into your bank web site, review the eBill, and schedule a date and amount that the bank will send your money TO them, either via EFT (electronic funds transfer or a paper check if they don't accept EFT.

Sure, you CAN set up a bill to be automatically scheduled to be paid (e.g., send the balance due on the due date of the eBill or perhaps set up your car payment or mortgage payment to go out on a specific day each month), but you're still in control of it going out (you can cancel or modify a payment). NOBODY can "drain" your account (or even take a nickel) unless you actively send it to them.

In short, you are in complete control, as you haven't authorized anyone to withdraw money from your account. eBills are nice because they don't get lost in the USPS mail. And, at least with BoA, it costs me nothing to pay a bill with their online banking, regardless of whether they send the payment via EFT or mail out a paper check.

I've been using online banking and eBill with BoA for the better part of 15+ years. I've never had any issues. The few times they didn't send a payment out, they notified the other party that THEY (BoA) screwed up and that resolved it with zero fees and zero reported missing or late payments. And that's only happened 2 or 3 times.

The problem with credit cards isn't using the card. It's failing to pay the balance off every month.

I can't remember the last time I carried a balance on a credit card, yet we use a variety of cards to make thousand of dollars of purchases each month, earning some decent cash rewards. I actually pay cards off sometimes 2 or 3 times in single month.

I haven't paid a nickel of interest using a credit card in several decade, yet we earn hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars in rewards every year. We earn in excess of $500 per year on gasoline purchases alone, just for using a card that gives us 4% of all gasoline purchases (and that's ALL we use THAT card for). The vast majority of everything we purchase with a card earns us 2% back (minimum), with quite a few purchases earning twice as much back or more. Why hand over a debit card when you can hand over a different piece of plastic and earn 2-3-4-5% or more back?

I respect those who choose to not use a credit card for whatever reason they want. But if you're responsible enough, you can save hundreds to thousands of dollars per year just for presenting a different card @ the checkout register and paying your balance off each month.

Whatever you feel most comfortable with is what matters most. But if you use the right cards, it's easily 2 to 5 percent, not 1.
well - u cant hide money

I am financially embarrassed now let alone have $1050 a month to spend just on fuel -- :(.

• Haha
Reactions: TxDoc and 906UP
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
well - u cant hide money

I am financially embarrassed now let alone have $1050 a month to spend just on fuel -- :(.
Believe me, I'm not proud to have to spend that kind of money on gasoline. FJB.

I commute 600 miles per week to/from work. That's 31,200 miles per year (minus time off and such). 16-17 mpg in a 5.0L F150 is somewhere between 1,850 and 1,950 gallons of fuel. Over the past year, we've paid $3.60 to $4.00 per gallon (or more) for UL87 her in SE Michigan. That's somewhere between $270 and $312 a year in cash back @ 4%. And that's my work commute alone - it doesn't include any of the wife's driving nor any of our non-work related driving. Plus, add in numerous trips out of state (and around the state) this past year (three to HondaSXS events alone @ 1K miles per RT.

It sucks. But that's also why the extra effort to save $400 or $500 per year (on fuel) is worth the effort.

Reactions: monbecca and TxDoc
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Haven’t used a debit card in years. Any bill I can pay with a credit card without a fee, I do. If I can’t, it comes out of an account I setup just for bills that gets a deposit every time I get paid and has no connection to my other main accounts. Shop around on credit cards, don’t just take what shows up in the mail and never carry a balance. I still use an Amazon Chase card because we buy so much s*** from Amazon, but it’s 5% back on Amazon purchases, 2% on gas/groceries, 1% on anything else. They run extra percentages on different categories every month.

I never auto pay anything. The water/gas/electric/trash pickup companies suck so bad at billing they’ll bankrupt you. The main reason I setup an account solely for paying bills is for the janky municipal services.

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
UofM (University of Michigan) Credit union.
Been a member since my Father signed me up with a savings acct when I was 12 yrs old. Have had the same acct since and Its now a joint acct with my wife checking and savings. Since she worked at the UofM medical system for 28yrs its kind of a no brainer.
They have great rates on loans no hassles and I have a second acct there as well. There visa debit is great, e-banking and bill pay have been superb,. They have expanded branches in the area all the way up to Brighton. Always treated us good and have no reason to leave . Go Blue!

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Check out the PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa.

4% cash back on gasoline (up to $8K in purchases every 12 months). 3% on restaurants and 2% on everything else. But we only use them for gasoline to maximize the cash rewards @ 4%. If you spend more than that, have your spouse get one, too.

The Citibank Double Cash Rewards MC is good as well. Essentially you get two percent back on everything you use it for with no limit.

The Citibank Costco Visa earns 4% cash back on gas as well, but you have to wait until the end of the year to get it. However, Costco always has significantly lower gas prices round here, so combined with that, or the other 4% card, it's great.

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Pentagon Federal CU Platinum Visa. 5% off gas with no cap on rewards.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've done all banking only with USAA and Navy Federal CU for more than 40 years even as we have moved from Kalifornia to Texas and now West Virginia. I realize that everyone doesn't have access to USAA or NFCU but that's not my point.

We have always opened a small account in a local bank near where we lived also for check cashing and paying small local accounts such as quarterly pest control and quarterly lawn fertilizer.

My point, and I believe this very strongly, is that no financial institution will work with you as well as your credit union. I also believe that limiting the financial institutions we deal with makes us safer from hacking and scammers.

My short answer to the question is I recommend joining a credit union if you're not already a member and use that credit union for all your banking including saving, borrowing, checking, bill paying, and all other financial transactions.

Reactions: Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
CUs for saving and borrowing, but banks for checking and bill pay.

LOC Federal CU member for ~25 years. Also Pentagon Federal CU member for about 15. But neither have best rates for MMA or CDs, so ATM I have money @ Everbank/TIAA, UFB Direct and Valley Direct for that. Current HYSA of 5.25% and 1 yr CDs higher than that.

As for banking (checking), nobody has yet provided the services that BoA does, so looks like we will stay with them (again, ONLY for checking and online bill pay).

Thanks, all.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!