TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

When I was in high school, a guy in town had a similar car. On the door, it read... The Judge.

If you thought you were worthy, and pulled up along side him at a stop light... The Judge would judge you and pass sentence upon you and your car

He was an adult.. an orthopedic surgeon. He had money to afford that car, a Porsche 928 and a Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer with a V12. He was very cool and a few of us would go around his house and he was gracious and understood our fascination. We were in high school. Most wanted a Firebird because of Smokey and the Bandit or Z28. One guy in our class was quiet, didn't play sports, but was a far car guru. His father was a young racing fiend to the police in his time. And his older brother could work on motors and transmissions, which were taboo to fool with to most high schoolers. He had an SS. It was a car feared by the rival high schools. When his father's expertise was needed, you knew something special would be the result. Not some performance evolution, more like a revolution. Michael was quiet and not boastful, a braggart, or, a smart aleck. He had this little, subtle smile when a would-be challenger asked... "Wanna run Em?" We knew what was coming. He never belittled anyone before or after defeating them. He always found something good to say about their car and even offered little suggestions on changes he knew would make that particular engine or transmission or rear end much better.

When the weather was bad, he drove a Honda Civic to the clinic and hospital. At the clinic, off in the corner of the parking lot, good wife paid for a parking space metal awning for the better cars to be in the shade.

Looking back, the BB had the mid engine V12 and cooling ran under the floorboards to the resort m radiator up front. In hot Texas summers, you feet knew it

Although it was called a Berlinetta BOXER. The engine was not a boxer, it was a 180 degree flat 12. Nothing sounded like that engine. Like I said, he was gracious to us. Not a "country clubber, look at me" guy. He was a true car guy. He did s lot of his own work and maintenance. But, there was an engine builder he sold hot rod and drag racing parts that helped him too. That was truly a magical and special time. He's passed away and I can't explain the feeling of knowing it is gone forever. Times have changed..... And for the worse

It's funny because we were in awe of that muscle car. BUT, when we were with our parents, in daytime, and you could hear AND see it... They were like..."look at that thing. He needs to get a new muffler."

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

When I was in high school, a guy in town had a similar car. On the door, it read... The Judge.

If you thought you were worthy, and pulled up along side him at a stop light... The Judge would judge you and pass sentence upon you and your car

He was an adult.. an orthopedic surgeon. He had money to afford that car, a Porsche 928 and a Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer with a V12. He was very cool and a few of us would go around his house and he was gracious and understood our fascination. We were in high school. Most wanted a Firebird because of Smokey and the Bandit or Z28. One guy in our class was quiet, didn't play sports, but was a far car guru. His father was a young racing fiend to the police in his time. And his older brother could work on motors and transmissions, which were taboo to fool with to most high schoolers. He had an SS. It was a car feared by the rival high schools. When his father's expertise was needed, you knew something special would be the result. Not some performance evolution, more like a revolution. Michael was quiet and not boastful, a braggart, or, a smart aleck. He had this little, subtle smile when a would-be challenger asked... "Wanna run Em?" We knew what was coming. He never belittled anyone before or after defeating them. He always found something good to say about their car and even offered little suggestions on changes he knew would make that particular engine or transmission or rear end much better.

When the weather was bad, he drove a Honda Civic to the clinic and hospital. At the clinic, off in the corner of the parking lot, good wife paid for a parking space metal awning for the better cars to be in the shade.

Looking back, the BB had the mid engine V12 and cooling ran under the floorboards to the resort m radiator up front. In hot Texas summers, you feet knew it

Although it was called a Berlinetta BOXER. The engine was not a boxer, it was a 180 degree flat 12. Nothing sounded like that engine. Like I said, he was gracious to us. Not a "country clubber, look at me" guy. He was a true car guy. He did s lot of his own work and maintenance. But, there was an engine builder he sold hot rod and drag racing parts that helped him too. That was truly a magical and special time. He's passed away and I can't explain the feeling of knowing it is gone forever. Times have changed..... And for the worse

It's funny because we were in awe of that muscle car. BUT, when we were with our parents, in daytime, and you could hear AND see it... They were like..."look at that thing. He needs to get a new muffler."

Always been a Mustang fan. Had a 65 and 68 back in High School in Texas

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fast forward to 2024 and the Tesla plaid can give that a run for its money capable of sub 9s in the quarter. On non prepared surfaces(streets) the awd will annihilate. Admittedly not as visceral but with actual driveability and can be driven to work monday morning. Crazy times for sure.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember in the early 80's when Audi had the Audi Quattro. It was an AWD rally car with just under 500 HP. I think they were WRC champions in 82-84, and it was unbelievable when Michele Mouton, a French lady was the first female to win a round of the WRC and I think won four or five total in that Quattro. The AWD revolution was born. Subaru and Audi claim to have started the AWD sensation.

There came to be a group called the Group B cars. The SUPER B's with over 500 HP. The Audi Sport Quattro S1 was one of these. They would make your palms sweat to watch. Very dangerous. In 1987 there were several fatalities. On the island of Cosrsica, Henri Toivonen , left the edge of the road where there was no barrier, he and his co-driver died and that immediately put an end to Group B cars.

From around 1968-1971, there was a Dodge Super BEE . Had 425 HP. Then came the oil crisis, insurance rates went up, and emissions.

I believe this reappeared as the Charger SRT-8 in about 2012 with 470 HP

They had reintroduction in 2023 Super BEE with only 1,000 made. Had like 485 HP and I believe they all came in a blue color called Plum Crazy.

I have a friend with the Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Top Speed: 203 MPH and 1000 HP. It was under $100,000.

He only drives it on some weekends. He grew up in the American muscle car era and always wanted one, but couldn't afford one at his age, then. He has a multi-million dollar company now. He could have anything, now. No Ferrari, no Lamborghini, no Maclaren.... Drives a 3/4 ton, quad cab Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins diesel everyday and his dream car of the past in modern form and comforts.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Back in 1978 I had my first vehicle a 78 IH Scout ll with a 345 v8, Torqueflight 727, and Dana 44s. I was more interested in going where no man had gone before rather than going there fast. In 1980 when AMC came out with the Eagle awd I knew it was ahead of its time. Then Audi upped the game and the AMC soon became yesterdays news. Nowadays practically every auto maker has an awd. I beleive there was a Dodge Durango Hellcat awd available.
Some say there is no replacement for displacement yet others say Street may be neat but dirt dont hurt.......😃

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I remember in the early 80's when Audi had the Audi Quattro. It was an AWD rally car with just under 500 HP. I think they were WRC champions in 82-84, and it was unbelievable when Michele Mouton, a French lady was the first female to win a round of the WRC and I think won four or five total in that Quattro. The AWD revolution was born. Subaru and Audi claim to have started the AWD sensation.

There came to be a group called the Group B cars. The SUPER B's with over 500 HP. The Audi Sport Quattro S1 was one of these. They would make your palms sweat to watch. Very dangerous. In 1987 there were several fatalities. On the island of Cosrsica, Henri Toivonen , left the edge of the road where there was no barrier, he and his co-driver died and that immediately put an end to Group B cars.

From around 1968-1971, there was a Dodge Super BEE . Had 425 HP. Then came the oil crisis, insurance rates went up, and emissions.

I believe this reappeared as the Charger SRT-8 in about 2012 with 470 HP

They had reintroduction in 2023 Super BEE with only 1,000 made. Had like 485 HP and I believe they all came in a blue color called Plum Crazy.

I have a friend with the Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Top Speed: 203 MPH and 1000 HP. It was under $100,000.

He only drives it on some weekends. He grew up in the American muscle car era and always wanted one, but couldn't afford one at his age, then. He has a multi-million dollar company now. He could have anything, now. No Ferrari, no Lamborghini, no Maclaren.... Drives a 3/4 ton, quad cab Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins diesel everyday and his dream car of the past in modern form and comforts.

We had a 69 RoadRunner growing up. Loved that car as a kid

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back in 1978 I had my first vehicle a 78 IH Scout ll with a 345 v8, Torqueflight 727, and Dana 44s. I was more interested in going where no man had gone before rather than going there fast. In 1980 when AMC came out with the Eagle awd I knew it was ahead of its time. Then Audi upped the game and the AMC soon became yesterdays news. Nowadays practically every auto maker has an awd. I beleive there was a Dodge Durango Hellcat awd available.
Some say there is no replacement for displacement yet others say Street may be neat but dirt dont hurt.......
When my friends wanted Firebirds and Z28's I had a 1977 GMC Jimmy with
15x15 wheels
44x18-15 gumbo mudders
Four inch Rancho lift kit
4 inch blocks
Gabriel Air shocks
Warn 8274 winch (I still have it)
HI LO RANGE shifter on the floor
And a conversation kit to change the NP205 transfer case from full time to 4WD to RWD with a knob you pulled out of pushed in.

I was like you. Cars were limited. I wanted to go EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE I WANTED.

I got a warning ticket from a Corps of Engineers guy for "driving in the spillway" at the lake. Ruts were knee deep

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When my friends wanted Firebirds and Z28's I had a 1977 GMC Jimmy with
15x15 wheels
44x18-15 gumbo mudders
Four inch Rancho lift kit
4 inch blocks
Gabriel Air shocks
Warn 8274 winch (I still have it)
HI LO RANGE shifter on the floor
And a conversation kit to change the NP205 transfer case from full time to 4WD to RWD with a knob you pulled out of pushed in.

I was like you. Cars were limited. I wanted to go EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE I WANTED.

I got a warning ticket from a Corps of Engineers guy for "driving in the spillway" at the lake. Ruts were knee deep

Those were the days....😁

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
One of the cars I dreamed about while I was in college was a Shelby Mustang. I finally got one about 12 years or so later. A young guy had one that he had bolted a huge Holley 850 double pumper carb on it, and washed down the cylinder walls to the point that it was barely running and was blowing not just smoke, but oil out of both tailpipes. He was desperate for cash and I got heck of a deal on it. The interior was great, body straight, paint a little faded, and motor of course needed a rebuild. It turned out really nice, after new paint and engine rebuild. I had some good times with it for a few years. I sure do miss it, but someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

1968 Shelby GT-500 KR

Shelby 1

Shelby 2

Last edited:
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
One of the cars I dreamed about while I was in college was a Shelby Mustang. I finally got one about 12 years or so later. A young guy had one that he had bolted a huge Holley 850 double pumper carb on it, and washed down the cylinder walls to the point that it was barely running and was blowing not just smoke, but oil out of both tailpipes. He was desperate for cash and I got heck of a deal on it. The interior was great, body straight, paint a little faded. and motor of course needed a rebuild. It turned out really nice, after new paint and engine rebuild. I had some good times with it for a few years. I sure do miss it, but someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

1968 Shelby GT-500 KR

View attachment 419000
View attachment 419001
Very nice car indeed. If I could own any car ever made it would be one of 2. 65 Shelby mustang or 69 Boss 302. I have a customer that has an original 65 hertz rental mustang. If not a mustang, then maybe 69 Charger RT or Roadrunner. I did have a 71 Charger 500

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the cars I dreamed about while I was in college was a Shelby Mustang. I finally got one about 12 years or so later. A young guy had one that he had bolted a huge Holley 850 double pumper carb on it, and washed down the cylinder walls to the point that it was barely running and was blowing not just smoke, but oil out of both tailpipes. He was desperate for cash and I got heck of a deal on it. The interior was great, body straight, paint a little faded, and motor of course needed a rebuild. It turned out really nice, after new paint and engine rebuild. I had some good times with it for a few years. I sure do miss it, but someone made me an offer I could not refuse.

1968 Shelby GT-500 KR

View attachment 419000
View attachment 419001
Oh My
I can't imagine. I just hope who has it is taking care of it.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice car indeed. If I could own any car ever made it would be one of 2. 65 Shelby mustang or 69 Boss 302. I have a customer that has an original 65 hertz rental mustang. If not a mustang, then maybe 69 Charger RT or Roadrunner. I did have a 71 Charger 500
I hope you win a lottery and it allows you to obtain them ALL. And you can build a climate controlled building for them

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Carroll Shelby lived in Pittsburgh Texas until he died. Every year they had a Corvette run to his estate on a Friday. I can't remember what month.

Twice I was coming east on I-30 from Dallas and saw them. It was really strange to see so many colors, models, stock, modified, just everything you can imagine and what you can't. It stretched out for miles.

They did a meet and greet. His health was good enough, at that time to tolerate this large number of people. He was known to be a genuine person and an unassuming kind person.

I don't know the whole story, but sadly, after his death, family argued over his body and he laid in a morgue in Dallas for weeks

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I hope you win a lottery and it allows you to obtain them ALL. And you can build a climate controlled building for them

well that is very kind of you to say. Thats about what it would take. Custome that has the hertz rental car also as a65 and 66 coupe as well as an original Shelby cobra with the 427. All in a climate-controlled garage

Reactions: TxDoc
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Carroll Shelby lived in Pittsburgh Texas until he died. Every year they had a Corvette run to his estate on a Friday. I can't remember what month.

Twice I was coming east on I-30 from Dallas and saw them. It was really strange to see so many colors, models, stock, modified, just everything you can imagine and what you can't. It stretched out for miles.

They did a meet and greet. His health was good enough, at that time to tolerate this large number of people. He was known to be a genuine person and an unassuming kind person.

I don't know the whole story, but sadly, after his death, family argued over his body and he laid in a morgue in Dallas for weeks

I was a huge Carroll Shelby fan myself. Wish I could have met him. I got to drive 289 Cobra once that was owned by a friend of mine. My biggest thrill was that I got to "sit" in a Ford GT40 that had been raced by Graham Hill. I stopped by "Carter Maxwell" the Goodyear racing tire distributor in Oklahoma City to pick up some tires for my race car and it was sitting in their shop. They said that some "rich guy" had bought it and had it shipped over from England, and they were doing the mechanical restoration on it.

Reactions: osobad and TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was a huge Carroll Shelby fan myself. Wish I could have met him. I got to drive 289 Cobra once that was owned by a friend of mine. My biggest thrill was that I got to "sit" in a Ford GT40 that had been raced by Graham Hill. I stopped by "Carter Maxwell" the Goodyear racing tire distributor in Oklahoma City to pick up some tires for my race car and it was sitting in their shop. They said that some "rich guy" had bought it and had it shipped over from England, and they were doing the mechanical restoration on it.
Very Very cool Silver_Alert

Reactions: Scoop and osobad

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!