Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I caught this hognose last year while dragging the driveway. I haven't ever seen one this big outside of a pet store/zoo. Pretty damn cool:

View attachment 219724

I've always liked hognose snakes. We have 2 pet cornsnake, but if we ever get another it will be a hognose. They are funny when they play dead.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have had two bull snakes live in my 50x50 shop. They used to sit on either side of my entry doo and get mice and rats as they would come in. Last I saw before we sold the house this spring there was a shed skin fully 5 feet in length. They did a great job of keeping the shop free of rodents.
On the other hand I belive the only good poisonous snake is a dead one. That's just the way it is around the house.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have had two bull snakes live in my 50x50 shop. They used to sit on either side of my entry doo and get mice and rats as they would come in. Last I saw before we sold the house this spring there was a shed skin fully 5 feet in length. They did a great job of keeping the shop free of rodents.
On the other hand I belive the only good poisonous snake is a dead one. That's just the way it is around the house.
I agree on the poisonous variety if they are in the vicinity of the house/shop/etc. where people or animals frequent. I leave them be if I come across them out on a trail or something though.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I've always liked hognose snakes. We have 2 pet cornsnake, but if we ever get another it will be a hognose. They are funny when they play dead.
I had one when I was kid that was really colorful. I think it was an eastern hognose (?), but he was really cool. He'd bow up like a cobra and hiss, then when you kept coming for him he'd roll over and play dead. They release a musk or something when they do it and it stinks to high hell. A stray cat got his ass when I forgot to put the lid on the terrarium.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess this could also go in the I'm sorry thread, it was in the creek moving pretty fast and the neighbor and I swore it was a moccasin. It was a water snake but since the neighbor isn't here it was his fault and my .357 revolver!
IMG 2393

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Early this summer I was in the back yard with my dog, and saw a snake, and was not sure what it was. I thought it might be a copperhead, and had to act fast because my goofy, curious dog would probably try to play with it as soon as he saw it. I killed it and googled it to be sure. Unfortunately it was a Prairie Kingsnake. I had never seen one of them before. In my defense, the description noted it was sometimes mistaken for a copperhead. Here is a stock photo.

Prairie kingsnake2 copy

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Early this summer I was in the back yard with my dog, and saw a snake, and was not sure what it was. I thought it might be a copperhead, and had to act fast because my goofy, curious dog would probably try to play with it as soon as he saw it. I killed it and googled it to be sure. Unfortunately it was a Prairie Kingsnake. I had never seen one of them before. In my defense, the description noted it was sometimes mistaken for a copperhead. Here is a stock photo.

View attachment 219972
It’s all good. It’s tough to identify some of them quickly. 😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!