BOX1

Talon Amsoil

U

UPSMAN

Nov 18, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone switching to Amsoil and if so which one is for the honda DCT transmission

Dunegod

Dunegod

Mar 8, 2019
Mesa Az
Ownership

1. Other Brand
SAE 10w-30 JASO T standard: MA

Amsoil product code ASEQT-EA

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Correct me if I'm wrong,,,, the sub trans has no wet clutches? there for it can be run with any gear lube? reason I ask is Red Line makes a great syn oil for Harley transmissions called Shock Proof. I use it in my Harley trans and the oil is a 20-50 and looks like pepto-bismal in appearance. That stuff clings to gears and does not drain off,,,, superior stuff in a HD trans.

Reactions: IDIOT
Dunegod

Dunegod

Mar 8, 2019
Mesa Az
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I use the same oil in the sub trans. In the diffs I use
SAE 80w-90 GL5 Hypoid gear oil

Amsoil product code AGLPK-EA

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct me if I'm wrong,,,, the sub trans has no wet clutches?
You are correct.
But OP is asking about the DCT.

The DCT shares oil with the motor.
Motor oil and DCT oil are one and the same.
However, sub trans does calls for the same oil as the engine/dct

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the same oil in the sub trans. In the diffs I use
SAE 80w-90 GL5 Hypoid gear oil

Amsoil product code AGLPK-EA
You mean "same oil" as the engine and sub trans?
If yes. Yes, this is recommended by Honda.

Edit. Missed read eirler post, if you seen it before I cleared it. Lol.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
SAE 10w-30 JASO T standard: MA

Amsoil product code ASEQT-EA

Hi, sorry this is off topic but I see in your sig you list the Jackson Racing Turbo. And you're in Mesa. I WANT TO CHECK IT OUT!! Please post up your impressions and experience so far in one of the 2 turbo threads. Pretty please. :)

Dunegod

Dunegod

Mar 8, 2019
Mesa Az
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Turbo getting installed on Thursday. It’s been paid for since late July when I got my car. It’s been a long wait.....

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cool! Which dealer? Lets us know how everything goes, I cant be the only one who feels like a kid waiting for xmas with regards to reading new details about the long awaited turbo kit.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did first 100 mile service today. "Liquid Gold" throughout. Yes, the Amsoil does smooth out the dct shifts. Still a clunk but not as noticeable.

20210621 133657

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
why use amsoil? honda only calls for dino oil anyhow.
Nothing wrong with exceeding Hondas recommendation. We paid a lot of money for our machines, a couple extra dollars on an oil change seems like a good thing to me.

Reactions: jjkacz
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Nothing wrong with exceeding Hondas recommendation. We paid a lot of money for our machines, a couple extra dollars on an oil change seems like a good thing to me.
no proof amsoil lubricates and or protects any better than dino oil.

Reactions: Fischer
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Are you serious? No proof that a full synthetic oil lubricates better than a dino oil? Do you live under a rock?
lol please show me the proof then. with over 30 years in lubrication industry, I eagerly await your response.

Reactions: Fischer
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
lol please show me the proof then. with over 30 years in lubrication industry, I eagerly await your response.
I would have to dig up all my oil samples that I sent off to be tested but I can garrentee you that Amsoil does better than anyother oil I tested. I ran Dino, Rotella, and then Amsoil in my diesel truck. I run Amsoil for 15,000 miles between oil changes and it tested better than Dino oil at 5k and Rotella at 10k. I test my oil for almost 200k miles every oil change (yes I am a little ocd. Lol) I also swamped my offroad jeep in a mud hole....it took on lots of sandy water but I was still able to drive it out of the trail. The guy that rebuilt my motor couldn't believe it was still running with all the sand in the pan. He stated the Amsoil had to still be lubricating it even though it was toast. My 2 Pioneers, yxz, and talon all run and shift smoother with Amsoil in them...it was noticeable when I switched to it. Proof was in my testing and experiences. Not trying to be argumentative with you....just giving you my results.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I would have to dig up all my oil samples that I sent off to be tested but I can garrentee you that Amsoil does better than anyother oil I tested. I ran Dino, Rotella, and then Amsoil in my diesel truck. I run Amsoil for 15,000 miles between oil changes and it tested better than Dino oil at 5k and Rotella at 10k. I test my oil for almost 200k miles every oil change (yes I am a little ocd. Lol) I also swamped my offroad jeep in a mud hole....it took on lots of sandy water but I was still able to drive it out of the trail. The guy that rebuilt my motor couldn't believe it was still running with all the sand in the pan. He stated the Amsoil had to still be lubricating it even though it was toast. My 2 Pioneers, yxz, and talon all run and shift smoother with Amsoil in them...it was noticeable when I switched to it. Proof was in my testing and experiences. Not trying to be argumentative with you....just giving you my results.
I to have blackstone labs oil reports on over 15 engines. i have over 700K tracked in a cummins. and i can say without a dout when changed as it should be, there is no difference. amsoil has a stouter add pack and higher TBN. letting it run for longer. but it does not protect the engine any better. Actually some wear metals were elevated with amsoil over some of the others. The pioneer I have with 5K on it shows me hp4 is no better than GN4.
my crf450 shifts better on hp4 over gn4. but wear metals are un changed.
the ONLY place synthetics are better are Cold flow properties. or super extream temps. In these little Honda engines the dyno does just as good as synthetic when changes as it should be.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Mobil-1 10w-40 racing 4T, with a bottle of Lucas Pure synthetic stabilizer. Shifts smooth as butter, first oil change was at/around 95 mile.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I to have blackstone labs oil reports on over 15 engines. i have over 700K tracked in a cummins. and i can say without a dout when changed as it should be, there is no difference. amsoil has a stouter add pack and higher TBN. letting it run for longer. but it does not protect the engine any better. Actually some wear metals were elevated with amsoil over some of the others. The pioneer I have with 5K on it shows me hp4 is no better than GN4.
my crf450 shifts better on hp4 over gn4. but wear metals are un changed.
the ONLY place synthetics are better are Cold flow properties. or super extream temps. In these little Honda engines the dyno does just as good as synthetic when changes as it should be.
Interesting....I own a family electrical business and we have over 30 vehicles on the road at one time. Our vehicles that ran Amsoil had less problems and virtually no oil leaks. So we now use it in all of our vehicles. The Blackstone labs I had done showed more wear than the Amsoil did and at lower oil change intervals. We also see anywhere from a .5< mpg increase when we change to Amsoil. The other claim of Amsoil I have put to the test is there clean/detergents they have in there oil. When we have had an engine torn down for any reason there has been zero build up of oil slug....so much that the tech that did a new timing chain on a Ford ecoboost motor of ours could not believe the motor had 100k miles on. He said there was no build up or wear anywhere on it and he has done lots of timing chains on them. I also have test there statement that there oil will help seals become pliable again on old leaky motors....I had an 89 Toyota that leaked like a sive and put amsoil in it and after a month or 2 of adding oil nonstop. The leaking basically stopped. It was crazy. Just did it again on son's 2014 jeep with 141,000 miles on it when we bought it. It had some oil leaks so I thought let's switch it all over to amsoil and see what happens. I had cardboard under it before and after....and after a month or 2 the leaking stopped. I am not saying that basic oils are bad but it just keeps proving to me that they have good stuff. That's awesome that you got 700k on a Cummins with no issues. I love the Cummins setups! We do like the extended oil change intervals because we spend so much money and time constantly getting the vehicles setup for services. I appreciate the convo and I might have to do some more testing again on some of our company trucks!

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!