Talon Amsoil

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You all can bring out all of your lab testing and what not, I am not up on any of the technical BS. I am just a lowly end user. What I base my decisions on are the results in my machines. For me, the Amsoil has proven itself in everything I have put it in. They run stronger, smoother and get better mileage. Just my preference, not trying to sell anyone on anything outside of their comfort zone. You decide what you run and I will decide for myself.😁

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I changed oil from honda gn4 10-40 to amsoil utv 10-40.

zero difference in shifting noise or harshness, increased valve clatter at startup.

Won’t spend that money again…….

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Correct me if I'm wrong,,,, the sub trans has no wet clutches? there for it can be run with any gear lube? reason I ask is Red Line makes a great syn oil for Harley transmissions called Shock Proof. I use it in my Harley trans and the oil is a 20-50 and looks like pepto-bismal in appearance. That stuff clings to gears and does not drain off,,,, superior stuff in a HD trans.
I use Shock Proof in my subtrans and diffs. It's awesome stuff and really helps.

I use Lightweight Shock Proof in my subtrans and Heavy Shock Proof in my diffs. Zero problems and I beat the crap out of my car.

Reactions: Smitty335
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oil threads:rolleyes:

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed oil from honda gn4 10-40 to amsoil utv 10-40.

zero difference in shifting noise or harshness, increased valve clatter at startup.

Won’t spend that money again…….
👍 You have the right to choose for yourself. God I love this country! We have so many options to pick from, and so many people to tell us we are wrong for choosing what we prefer.😁

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
lol please show me the proof then. with over 30 years in lubrication industry, I eagerly await your response.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here we are, 2 days later, I provided proof as requested, dino oil guy has run away.

Reactions: 05Willys
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Here we are, 2 days later, I provided proof as requested, dino oil guy has run away.
Be nice, some of us still have to work.

The conceptual difference is that syns are more "capable" in some conditions; better at extreme heat, better at holding vis in really long OCIs, better at uber-cold pumpability, etc. But, those all mean exactly zilch when conditional limitations are in place. Products which are extremely capable in extreme conditions do not always exhibit their superiority when the conditions are not very challenging. Having "more" of something when it's not required is of no real tangible benefit, despite the nearly hysterical drum-beating cacophony of the masses claiming it to be so.

I've got over 25,000 UOAs in my database by now, and there's actually very good proof that good quality conventional oils do every bit of the job as well as synthetics, under the parameters I state. There is no credible claim to say that syns are "better" under the conditions you operate in. I have personally run home experiments in multiple vehicles over the years. I have studied (literally) tens of thousands of UOAs; I can say without any compunction whatsoever that syns do NOT perform "better" when the use factors are totally "normal". And in fact, I've seen many examples where the capability of dinos far exceeds what most would believe to be true.

Syns are great products and they are worth the expense ONLY when the circumstances of their use allow their capability to shine brighter than a conventional oil. If you cannot differentiate the claimed superiority of a product from those of other choices, then the reality is that the product is not actually "better", despite all the marketing hype and bloviating hypothesis.

Simply put, there's a huge difference between which MIGHT be "better" IF something MIGHT happen, versus something not actually doing any better because the conditions are not challenging enough to bring out disparities between product performance.

Here's a few examples of how this really works in the crankcase of your vehicle: (I am using simple numbers for the sake of the example)
EX 1: ability to hold soot in suspension
Suppose you have an engine that produces 10 grams of soot every 10k miles (1 gram/1k miles). Now you have two oils to choose from ...
oil "A" is capable of holding 30 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
oil "C" is capable of holding 15 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
Now, if your planned OCIs are only 5k miles, you're only going to have around 5 grams of soot in the lube, total. That's WELL below both the total capability of the soot carrying capacity of both lubes. Even if you accidentally overrun the planned 5k mile OCI by 3k miles, you're still well below the danger level of both lubes. Was oil A "better" in these circumstances? Well, not really - none whatsoever. Despite the claimed superiority, the conditions will never get so bad that the "better" oil can ever distinguish itself. Only if the OCI went over 15k miles would it really make a difference.

EX 2: ability to tolerate extreme temps
Suppose you drive a normal n/a engine with no known design flaws. The typical operating temp of the oil is kept "normal" by an OEM oil cooling circuit, and the oil typically runs around 210F. Even if you sit in stop/go traffic in summer in your area, it still only gets up to around 220F, because the OEM cooler is using a liquid/liquid cooler circuit to dissipate the heat from the oil into the coolant, and then dump it to atmosphere via the radiator.
oil "A" can survive to 300F before coking and causing deposit issues
oil "C" can survive to 250F before coking and causing deposit issues
The reality is that both oils are more than capable of sustaining even the most extreme temp your situation experiences. That oil A can survive "more" heat is of no consequence, because the conditions never get that extreme. The higher temperature capability of oil A matters not; it's simply wasted capacity. Oil A cannot distinguish itself over oil B because the condition don't get hot enough in real use.
The same can be said of cold temps; if you never get below freezing in your area, then pumpability at -25F is kind of moot; it doesn't happen to you.

The concept to understand above is that until a condition (temps, OCI, contamination, etc) exceeds the capability of the lessor product, then the superior product isn't doing "better", because both are doing "well enough" to survive the operational conditions.

That something CAN be better, does not automatically mean it WILL be better; that depends upon the circumstances. The reality is that unless a product can distinguish itself in real-world use, under the conditions which you can reasonably expect to occur, then there's no ability to claim any one product is superior to another. Lab testing (and even field testing) which exhibit uber-stupid-extreme conditions you'll never see really are not "proof" that something is better; it's only proof that marketing and rhetoric are proven ways to separate a fool and his money.

Reactions: Fischer
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, he was still there. It just took him a while to look those words up in a dictionary.🤣🤣🤣

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be nice, some of us still have to work.

The conceptual difference is that syns are more "capable" in some conditions; better at extreme heat, better at holding vis in really long OCIs, better at uber-cold pumpability, etc. But, those all mean exactly zilch when conditional limitations are in place. Products which are extremely capable in extreme conditions do not always exhibit their superiority when the conditions are not very challenging. Having "more" of something when it's not required is of no real tangible benefit, despite the nearly hysterical drum-beating cacophony of the masses claiming it to be so.

I've got over 25,000 UOAs in my database by now, and there's actually very good proof that good quality conventional oils do every bit of the job as well as synthetics, under the parameters I state. There is no credible claim to say that syns are "better" under the conditions you operate in. I have personally run home experiments in multiple vehicles over the years. I have studied (literally) tens of thousands of UOAs; I can say without any compunction whatsoever that syns do NOT perform "better" when the use factors are totally "normal". And in fact, I've seen many examples where the capability of dinos far exceeds what most would believe to be true.

Syns are great products and they are worth the expense ONLY when the circumstances of their use allow their capability to shine brighter than a conventional oil. If you cannot differentiate the claimed superiority of a product from those of other choices, then the reality is that the product is not actually "better", despite all the marketing hype and bloviating hypothesis.

Simply put, there's a huge difference between which MIGHT be "better" IF something MIGHT happen, versus something not actually doing any better because the conditions are not challenging enough to bring out disparities between product performance.

Here's a few examples of how this really works in the crankcase of your vehicle: (I am using simple numbers for the sake of the example)
EX 1: ability to hold soot in suspension
Suppose you have an engine that produces 10 grams of soot every 10k miles (1 gram/1k miles). Now you have two oils to choose from ...
oil "A" is capable of holding 30 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
oil "C" is capable of holding 15 grams of soot in suspension before the oil add-pack gets overwhelmed and it will leave deposits behind
Now, if your planned OCIs are only 5k miles, you're only going to have around 5 grams of soot in the lube, total. That's WELL below both the total capability of the soot carrying capacity of both lubes. Even if you accidentally overrun the planned 5k mile OCI by 3k miles, you're still well below the danger level of both lubes. Was oil A "better" in these circumstances? Well, not really - none whatsoever. Despite the claimed superiority, the conditions will never get so bad that the "better" oil can ever distinguish itself. Only if the OCI went over 15k miles would it really make a difference.

EX 2: ability to tolerate extreme temps
Suppose you drive a normal n/a engine with no known design flaws. The typical operating temp of the oil is kept "normal" by an OEM oil cooling circuit, and the oil typically runs around 210F. Even if you sit in stop/go traffic in summer in your area, it still only gets up to around 220F, because the OEM cooler is using a liquid/liquid cooler circuit to dissipate the heat from the oil into the coolant, and then dump it to atmosphere via the radiator.
oil "A" can survive to 300F before coking and causing deposit issues
oil "C" can survive to 250F before coking and causing deposit issues
The reality is that both oils are more than capable of sustaining even the most extreme temp your situation experiences. That oil A can survive "more" heat is of no consequence, because the conditions never get that extreme. The higher temperature capability of oil A matters not; it's simply wasted capacity. Oil A cannot distinguish itself over oil B because the condition don't get hot enough in real use.
The same can be said of cold temps; if you never get below freezing in your area, then pumpability at -25F is kind of moot; it doesn't happen to you.

The concept to understand above is that until a condition (temps, OCI, contamination, etc) exceeds the capability of the lessor product, then the superior product isn't doing "better", because both are doing "well enough" to survive the operational conditions.

That something CAN be better, does not automatically mean it WILL be better; that depends upon the circumstances. The reality is that unless a product can distinguish itself in real-world use, under the conditions which you can reasonably expect to occur, then there's no ability to claim any one product is superior to another. Lab testing (and even field testing) which exhibit uber-stupid-extreme conditions you'll never see really are not "proof" that something is better; it's only proof that marketing and rhetoric are proven ways to separate a fool and his money.
Ok, point taken. Now I will ask only 1 question. What temperature do the internal parts reach that the oil comes in contact with (examples: piston, wrist pin and valves just to name a few). Stands to reason that the oil can see extreme temps. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that just maybe that is why there is such a thing as an oil cooler to begin with. The oil not only lubricates an engine, it also pulls with it some heat from internal parts.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've been using Amsoil since 2004 with no failures.

My father-in-law had road trash take out the oil filter on his Goldwing while running Amsoil. He doesn't know how long he rode with no engine oil but the engine survived undamaged. He was definitely sold on Amsoil after that incident.

Besides, the extended drain interval sure is convenient for my vehicles.

Reactions: 05Willys
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Ok, point taken. Now I will ask only 1 question. What temperature do the internal parts reach that the oil comes in contact with (examples: piston, wrist pin and valves just to name a few). Stands to reason that the oil can see extreme temps. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that just maybe that is why there is such a thing as an oil cooler to begin with. The oil not only lubricates an engine, it also pulls with it some heat from internal parts.
That is true; localized temps do get above the sump temps. A great example would be turbos; they get extremely hot as the EGTs saturate the components of the turbo. The concept I'll cover below would apply to any component we'd discuss here; turbos, piston rings, etc

However, we're now going to get into the concept of thermal energy transfer ...

While an engine is running, those turbos are nearly always cooled by either lube oil and/or engine coolant. We'll just focus on the lube cooling effects here and just realize that the coolant (if present in the turbo design) will be similar, but not always identical.

Thermal energy transfer relies on many things to achieve it's tasks. Without getting deep into thermodynamic theory and mathematics, we'll just agree that the transfer rate is controlled by several things:
- rate of fluid flow
- total volume of fluid moved
- temps of the saturation pick-up point (turbo, et al.)
- temps of the rejection dump point (oil cooler or radiator)
- ambient temps
- etc

When oil is moving through a turbo, the EGTs may be around 1300-1600F for a diesel, or up closer to 2000F for a gas engine. That's HOT !!! Those temps are WELL above the sustainable temps that any typical lube could ever endure. And yet, they don't coke in the first 30 seconds of use. Why not? Because of the thermal transfer rates relative to the criteria listed above. When the oil is moving over the surface of the components (bearings, shafts, etc), it's not only lubricating and cleaning, but also cooling because it picks up heat energy and carries it away to the disposal point. But each mL of fluid does not take ALL the heat ALL at once. It only carries a small portion of that energy, and is replaced by the next mL behind it. Each mL does not have to carry off 1400F individually, but the total volume of fluid moved will carry away enough such that the desired effect (a cooled turbo) is satisfied while not overheating the lube. This is a matter of volumetric exchange versus energy being absorbed/rejected.

The most easy way I can help folks understand this is to do a very simple home experiment. Go get a candle and some matches. Light the candle and set it on the counter table and light it. Now do three separate experiments, one after the other:
- first, spread your fingers widely apart, and quickly pass your fingers over the flame, one finger at a time, only 2" above the tip of the flame
- next, close your fingers together, and slowly pass your fingers over the flame tip
- last, cup your palm/fingers and hold the hand still over the flame as long as you dare
In the first stage of the experiment, you'll feel very little if any sensible heat in your fingers because your fingers were exposed for a very short time. But, your fingers most certainly did absorb heat, it just didn't get "hot" enough for your fingers to feel it. A little heat went into your fingers and the rest escaped around them. But if you had enough hands and fingers, all moving along together, you could absorb a lot of energy, yet none would burn.
In the second stage of the experiment, you'll feel heat for sure, but you may not "burn" your fingers. The amount of energy your fingers absorbed for that single pass increased substantially, but not to a point of destroying flesh. The longer exposure relative to the heat present causes more to got into each individual finger. In the last stage, well, it's obvious what's going to happen; you'll suffer a third degree burn if you leave it there long enough; very undesirable.

Engine oil cools in the same concept. Any one mL of lube does not have to cool the entire heat load; it only has to carry away a portion of that load. When an engine's lube system is designed well, there's plenty of volumetric flow of the lube, plenty of absorsion surface area, and enough rejection potential that all balances well and the oil's localized temps do not exceed the capability of the lube.

It's completely true to say that premium syns (group IV and V) are more capable of sustaining higher temps for longer periods of time, versus a typical group II or II+. Group III probably falls somewhere in between.

The overall effect of thermal energy transfer depends on a host of things I enumerated above. In a well designed lube system, the thermal energy effects are taken into account for the expected application operational conditions. If the system is not well designed, it's not going to end well for the lube or the engine. OTR truck engines are designed for their expected heavy loads. Race cars have larger coolers and syns because they experience loads higher than typical street cars, AND because weight means drag, they want the smallest system which can sustain the load, so syns help here.

It's not that any dino oil can't do the same heat-load transfer that a syn could do, but it might needs X.X more mL of fluid per second to achieve the same task. And, as I stated, that's a part of the design team's job to make sure the conditions for the thermal transfer are satisfied. Most of us know that cars like the Corvette, Porches and others come with syns right from the factory. Is that lube "needed" or just a precautionary effect? Well, that depends upon a few things.
- That brand new 'Vette which is driven by a 71 year old tooling around the fall-season country roads while looking at the leaves change color, driving at the posted speed limit, really isn't taxing the engine or cooling system. Having a syn in the engine is unneeded; a dino would do this job very well.
- But that same 'Vetter when given to his 35 year old son who club races it on the weekends might well need the extra capacity of the syns, simply because he may be maxing out the available cooling capacity when it's 93F ambient and he's hitting redline near every corner entrance.

This goes back to my point in my previous post. These are all a matter of knowing what the capabilities of the components, systems and products are. Any lube (of any base stock), can either be under-utilized, or overwhelmed, simply by not having the right combination of systems and products in place.
- if you place products in a condition where their operational experience is well within the design intent, then it's improbable you'll ever discern any differences between the differences in product capability, because by definition they're not pushed past the limit of the lessor capable product; it really doesn't matter what you use
- as you increase the conditional extremes, it's likely that one product will exceed the capability of the lessor; you'll need to be more critical in your product selection
- when you raise the conditional stresses high enough, it's likely that any product will fail, and you need to redesign your system overall

Some engines don't have the best designs. I can think of one example off the top of my head; the old SL2 Saturn engines. They had rings with no drain-back path; this was a design choice to increase the sealing effect for combustion efficiency desired. However, the long term maintenance effect was that oil would coke on the rings, and ultimately harm the very sealing effect they were after; a terrible design if you ask me. Syns might last a little longer in an OCI versus a conventional lube, but the reality is that it was a poor design and syns only delayed the undesired effect, they didn't stop the effect. Some engines like the old 6.0L PSD had oil coolers which were OK when new, but then clogged (coolant side) and reduced the thermal transfer rate such that the oil cooling was severely degraded, and that compromised the lube. As it degraded, it's true that a syn lube might have delayed some of the ill effects by taking a bit more heat load relative to the rejection rate, but eventually the condition would be bad enough that even a syn wasn't going to overcome the inevitable.
Conversely, an engine like the GM 6.6L Dmax has an oil system that seems to be so well designed that it really doesn't matter what lube is used, because the oil temps never seem to get extreme under any OEM operational conditions.

Or, consider the effect of "cool down" timers in vehicle with turbos. Whether you do it manually by letting the engine idle a bit before shutdown, or (as I understand it now) some gas turbo cars now have separate cooling loops (coolant, not oil) which are on separate electrically driven pumps which actually can continue to cycle the coolant after the engine is shut off, such that the turbo is cooled to a safe level regardless of how/when the engine is shut down. A design team took the load and transfer goals and then met them with an alternative method that does not rely on manual driver intervention. But if you flog your engine in a merciless manner, and then shut the engine down while badly heat saturated, you might be able to coke any lube in the turbo, regardless of the oil's base stock.

So, YES, I agree with you. And NO, it does not always matter. What matters is how the entire system is designed and what products you select, relative to your operational conditions.

Under normal OCIs, no extreme temps, normal operational loads, etc. It is highly improbable that a syn would do anything "better" given those constraints.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!