P700 Another Newbie Question....

1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
When my thermostat gasket leaked, it was on the drivers side. It looks like he has coolant near filter cover, passenger side.
I would hope that Honda would not continue to use a known problem part. But who knows!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That’s great I hope you got it fixed, sounds like you did. My guess is when the hose got warm it became pliable enough to allow a drip. Awesome when it’s a simple fix!

Reactions: Gator
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine was green standard stock...
Glad you confirmed this as i thought my memory was going.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. My coolant is blue too.

Yes it is more on the drivers side, or at least that is where it runs to on the skid. Yesterday I decided to reach in and feel every hose connection to the engine where it connects and is clamped at the engine. I found one hose that at its connection with the engine was wet with antifreeze on the engine (my fingers easily wet with antifreeze). Eureka. So I tried twisting the hose to see if it was loose. Would not budge. But I could easily turn (tighten) the clamp 2-3 more turns to where I felt it was how I would tighten a hose clamp if I installed it. Then I wiped it and the skid inside (where it pooled before), of any moisture. Today I ran it pretty hard around my property and put a few miles on it. Ran to two bars of temperature on the gauge, and so far not a drop of coolant visible or touchable at the housing. I wish I could tell you what the hose connects to but I just don't know this engine well at this point (need to get a shop manual or a schematic).

I'll know for sure when I run it more; but this may have been just a loose clamp (as Conner, Tflynn and Hondasxs suggested it may be). Or it just takes more run time/pressure to leak...stay tuned. And thanks again.
The 700 has always been known for loose clamps. If it were mine, i'd check them all, which will be easier if you pull the center skid and seat plastic.

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
UPDATE: I've been able to put a bunch more time and miles on my 700-4 since I tightened that clamp. The leak was basically fixed after I did that, except for a drop or 2 now and then (no pooling) that I would probably not have noticed except I put a small board under it when I parked so I could monitor it. The drip came out or around the hose now though. Anyway, I took it in for its first service and my dealer did a pressure check on the system and said it failed. Then they snugged up all clamps and it passed. They said what I did helped but did not solve all the loose clamp issues. Said it wasn't unusual as you noted DG rider, for this (lose clamps) to happen. Also said it should be fine now but if its not to bring it back in....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!