P1000 Another Novice 2nd Battery Install Thread

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Stinger is only on with the key" Does that mean no accessories will work without the key on?

that is correct.
do you want the fuse box to be hot all the time? if so, you can ditch the stinger

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would I be correct in assuming that the only risk of ditching the stinger is accidentally leaving a switch "on" ?

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And ... If I go this route, could I just stack 6 hot 14g wires on the auxillary batter and connect them directly to the fuse box? Eliminates a bus bar, and then as I add accessories I'll add a hot wire to the other side of the fuse box completing the curcuit and powering the switch/accessory?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
And ... If I go this route, could I just stack 6 hot 14g wires on the auxillary batter and connect them directly to the fuse box? Eliminates a bus bar, and then as I add accessories I'll add a hot wire to the other side of the fuse box completing the circuit and powering the switch/accessory?
If I understand your question, one 14g (bigger would be better) wire from the battery to the positive side of the fuse box (which ties all fuses together) and then each circuit from its fuse.

You can also run two control leads to the stinger (same terminal), one a key on power and another manual switch. This way either the key or separate switch will power up the auxiliary circuits. I have my VM run this way so I can check resting voltage without turning the key on.

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jeez, stacking 6 was a dumb comment, and I'll certainly grab some bigger wire. I'm beginning to think I don't really need an auxiliary battery positive bus bar if I don't add more accessories than my fuse box will handle (6). Same with the ground bus. A bus bar might be useful for Key-on primary power though. This is my fuse box:

Reactions: CID
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would I be correct in assuming that the only risk of ditching the stinger is accidentally leaving a switch "on" ?
that is correct. and in this case you need to run the switch lights from key on power or they will also be always on.

And ... If I go this route, could I just stack 6 hot 14g wires on the auxillary batter and connect them directly to the fuse box?
yes you can, and it depends on what type of fuse block you have.
if you have something like this, it is made to be fed with one big wire and keep things neat. there is not a place to attach all the incoming wires. the stud (bottom center) will run out of room

if you want to run individual wires from the battery you will need to use a fuse block like this. but now you need to come up with another bus for your grounds.

Link to the fuse blocks

Eliminates a bus bar
yes but remember the only reason for a bus bar is to have a good place to make multiple connections. stacking a bunch of wires on one terminal is prone to get loose and is a PITA to deal with. But electrically its no different than using a bus bar if the connections are solid.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that is correct. and in this case you need to run the switch lights from key on power or they will also be always on.

yes you can, and it depends on what type of fuse block you have.
if you have something like this, it is made to be fed with one big wire and keep things neat. there is not a place to attach all the incoming wires. the stud (bottom center) will run out of room
View attachment 204684

if you want to run individual wires from the battery you will need to use a fuse block like this. but now you need to come up with another bus for your grounds.
View attachment 204685

Link to the fuse blocks

yes but remember the only reason for a bus bar is to have a good place to make multiple connections. stacking a bunch of wires on one terminal is prone to get loose and is a PITA to deal with. But electrically its no different than using a bus bar if the connections are solid.
"and in this case you need to run the switch lights from key on power or they will also be always on"

by this, you mean only the bottom half of the switch needs to be Key-on, right? The top half would only come on when switched on?

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For me it's probably useful to have the auxiliary battery lights available without the key on. That way, I can use "work lights" while gutting animals (or whatever) without running the risk of draining the main battery.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Jeez, stacking 6 was a dumb comment, and I'll certainly grab some bigger wire. I'm beginning to think I don't really need an auxiliary battery positive bus bar if I don't add more accessories than my fuse box will handle (6). Same with the ground bus. A bus bar might be useful for Key-on primary power though. This is my fuse box:

That fuse box is your buss bars, both positive and negative - unless you add more than 6 circuits.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here is the updated diagram

i think i got everything set up right this time.

also just FYI, i used one of these (becuase i had them) as my "accessory bus"
orange things are levers, and you just insert your wires and lock them down.
Amazon.com : wago lever nut

something like this will be better/smaller to connect the key on power to the switches / winch / relay

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram Simplified 3.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 124
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i missed one of your earlier comments while i was typing mine.

I'm beginning to think I don't really need an auxiliary battery positive bus bar
you are right, as long as you have the space to connect everything.
i had trouble getting 2 #6 wires connected to the batteries. it will do it, but you should really get a longer bolt. that's why i added the bus bars. in my case the aux battery + terminal needed 3 big wires and 2 smaller ones connected so it just wasn't going to work. same issue on the negative terminal

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just remembered I have this showing how simple it can be - the stinger control switch would be your 'key on' power source.
View attachment 204635
The Blue Ray fuse block I used has separate grounds for every accessory fuse, the entire fuse block was grounded by a large wire back to the common ground, makes trouble shooting a lot easier, think I stole the idea from @ my99svt I think?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That fuse box is your buss bars, both positive and negative - unless you add more than 6 circuits.
I got the big one, I've got a least six empties and no I'm not talking about cans! Well?

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
Ok guys! First of all I’d like to say what a awesome bunch of individuals you are. I didn’t thing any forum would compare to the IGOTTACUMMINS forum but yous are spot on. That being said, I don’t think anyone has asked yet! What kind of switches are yous using?(I know otr,V-series,L-series or something else), but they have a large variety. Hair loss hair loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys! First of all I’d like to say what a awesome bunch of individuals you are. I didn’t thing any forum would compare to the IGOTTACUMMINS forum but yous are spot on. That being said, I don’t think anyone has asked yet! What kind of switches are yous using?(I know otr,V-series,L-series or something else), but they have a large variety. Hair loss hair loss

It’s really just a style choice. Just pick the ones you like. I liked the look of the L series but I went with the V series because they have a 3 position DPDT switch and the L series doesn’t.
You use the 3 pos DPDT for the switchable power source like I have or for on/off/auto backup lights

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finished my dual battery install a few minutes ago. The expertise, patience, and dedication to helping me thru this of the folks on this forum made it happen. I cannot thank you guys enough for guiding me through it. JoeyL's electrical drawings should be a sticky. I never really got it until I saw them. You guys rock. Thanks

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!