Another Talon Motor bites the Dust

N

Newbiehere

May 3, 2022
California
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As bad as the air filter design is, as mentioned by others, it’s not only a Honda issue. Every single SxS I’ve seen somehow ends up with a dirty clogged filter sooner the rider would like. A prefilter/particle separator for any machine that sees dirt/dust/sand normally is a must.

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you sure about that?
I'm guessing that engineer would look at your data and not be able to draw any conclusions.

But what would I know, I stuck with a relatively stock p500 thinking it would be bullet proof in the long run.
Sorry to hear about your issues but also, like @DRZRon1 glad to hear about your 15 year old getting out side.
I got to help with a repurposing a building several years ago for a DAYCO Belt Research facility, it was a mini plant so to speak. Started out in the Mad Scientist offices, they messed with the cord material and rubber compounds then moved to the mini plant and manufactured them. Then they went into testing, first they went to sound testing in a very quiet special room, second was chambers that sprayed Arabian dust particles on the belt W/ tensioners while running, Then to the water brake area, where they could simulate the loads of several different HP engines and how long the belts would run before breaking, of course recording data the whole process. Before going into the real production. Honda needs to test and gather data on there own, a simple dust test simulation would have been fantastic.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got to help with a repurposing a building several years ago for a DAYCO Belt Research facility, it was a mini plant so to speak. Started out in the Mad Scientist offices, they messed with the cord material and rubber compounds then moved to the mini plant and manufactured them. Then they went into testing, first they went to sound testing in a very quiet special room, second was chambers that sprayed Arabian dust particles on the belt W/ tensioners while running, Then to the water brake area, where they could simulate the loads of several different HP engines and how long the belts would run before breaking, of course recording data the whole process. Before going into the real production. Honda needs to test and gather data on there own, a simple dust test simulation would have been fantastic.
Maybe Honda wanted to sell lotsa air filters

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The sad thing is that Honda had poo poo's history leading the way, on dozens of engine failures due to poor intake location. Hondabob was putting snorkels and prefilters on his poo poo's long before he moved up to his Talon (which he promptly snorkeled and prefiltered).

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!