BOX1

P500 Any regrets running same size tire all around?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I run Maxxis big horn 2.0 26-11-12 on all four corners. I went 11” wide for better floatation when crossing floating bogs and tundra here in Alaska. I have been super happy with the set up and have taken the “Pack Mule” places I never thought it would go. Last fall was really wet and we had some mud holes that were up past the top of the tires with serious ruts underneath so you had to go slow; she crawled right through. When going across tundra and bogs I rarely break through the vegetative mat, I like this since it avoids leaving a big mud hole for the next guy and can hide my trail from other hunters when sneaking into my secret spots.

That's the same set up I'm running now. Are you on aftermarket wheels or spacers?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I run Maxxis big horn 2.0 26-11-12 on all four corners. I went 11” wide for better floatation when crossing floating bogs and tundra here in Alaska. I have been super happy with the set up and have taken the “Pack Mule” places I never thought it would go. Last fall was really wet and we had some mud holes that were up past the top of the tires with serious ruts underneath so you had to go slow; she crawled right through. When going across tundra and bogs I rarely break through the vegetative mat, I like this since it avoids leaving a big mud hole for the next guy and can hide my trail from other hunters when sneaking into my secret spots.
Cool! Sounds like a perfect setup for you. I like that the 2.0 type tires are softer and more compliant, which helps you, I imagine.

Reactions: 500oneer
P

pgregory

Sep 18, 2017
lafayette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
27x11r12 10ply mongrels all way around on factory 9 & 11 inch steel wheels. no problem and no regrets. 27x9r12 all way wud prolly been jus as good. wil nevr kno....happy with the 11inch

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
That's the same set up I'm running now. Are you on aftermarket wheels or spacers?
Not sure why u would wanna go any bigger than 26’s except for ground clearance and looks- just put my spare bighorn 2.0’s 25 8 12’s on 5+2 itp steel wheels ( just to try them) on all 4 with one inch spacers on rear and the things great! Geared er down right where it wants to be and stable as a donkey

B

bafknife

Oct 15, 2020
Newcastle, WY
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 9"x 28" x 12" stock rims, with 2" spacers. Rubs a little on hard right turns. Otherwise works well, two yrs now.

Reactions: J80
D

Duckhunt

Not sure why u would wanna go any bigger than 26’s except for ground clearance and looks- just put my spare bighorn 2.0’s 25 8 12’s on 5+2 itp steel wheels ( just to try them) on all 4 with one inch spacers on rear and the things great! Geared er down right where it wants to be and stable as a donkey
Ground clearance is huge when trail riding through woods and/or mts. Ride quality also improves significantly which is lacking on a P500. Larger tires also help compensate with the low gearing especially on 15-16 machines. Oh, and they look bada$$!

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Yea, 1in rb3’s on rear. I agree 26’s are the way to go- need the ground clearance because the amount of sticks down this year Is nuts. How’s the side flex on bighorn 2.0‘S 26 9 12’s.?

FlyingPot8oh

FlyingPot8oh

Oct 31, 2020
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
After changing to 26x9-12, can the P-500 still fit in 50” trails?

I was doing some figuring a couple months back. I was looking at Bighorn 2.0 26X11 with 12X7.5" rims on all four corners. With the offsets involved, the center-line of the fronts actually moved inside 1/2" total. IIRC, I don't have the paper in front of me, made for something like a 2.5" increase in front-wheel total width. I'd have to put 1" spacers on the rear wheels, which would put my rear at .5" wider than the front.

Remember that the widest part of the Pioneer 500 is the ROPS just in front of the rear fenders, what the door hinge attaches to.. That is 50". The wheels are designed to fit between the fender wells of a full sized pickup, which is itself designed to fit a sheet of plywood, which... ugh... is itself 48" wide.

So, very long story: Making your front tires only 1/2 inch wider on each side should not effect your ability to fit on 50" wide trails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fruitz101
FlyingPot8oh

FlyingPot8oh

Oct 31, 2020
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Going 27x11x12 all around for my next set .

Didja do it yet? I was thinking 26" Bighorn 2.0, but maybe 27" BH will do. Stability is a real concern for me, but suspension modifications are also in the offing, they might offset increased tire diameter.
I haven't seen adequate reviews on the relative compliance between the BighHorn and the BighHorn 2.0 I want a soft tire that will conform to hard surfaces and spread over soft ones. That sounds like the 2.0. However, the 2.0 has smaller lugs. Also, I don't know how much may be gained or lost by going up another inch. Again, stability is a factor for me.

Last edited:
FlyingPot8oh

FlyingPot8oh

Oct 31, 2020
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ownership

1. 500

I'm also in Alaska, and flotation is a big issue for me too. Still can't beat the old three-wheelers, but what can you do. Wait for the swamps to freeze I guess, bring out the iron dog.
I'm gonna guess, south of Broad Pass?

Also, what pressure do you run? I figure the lowest I can without breaking the bead, but I don't quite know what that is, especially with unfamiliar tires.

Making "coffee grounds" is bad news. Wrecks the trail for everyone. It'd be great if I can avoid that with the P-500, but I'm afraid it might be just too big. Too bad fewer trail users in AK than ever see things our way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi guys,

I'm going to revisit this thread. I put a deposit down on a new P520 today and plan to run the same wheel and tire at each corner as well as have a spare.

I haven't landed on a wheel yet, but I suspect I will get a 14x7 5+2 4x110, which is the correct size and will work both front and rear. I will of course run a set of spacers on the rear to bring the width up to match the front.

I'm looking at these for the P520:
Xtr

I chose this tire because many of the comments I have been reading have really been pushing radial tires. I need the ride comfort in an aggressive tread.

For those of you that are running wide tires up front, or tall tires up front, do you have any guess how this will fit? I do have a little concern that the 27x11x14 will clear everything considering it is both wider and taller.

Thanks for your comments,

Rob

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hi guys,

I'm going to revisit this thread. I put a deposit down on a new P520 today and plan to run the same wheel and tire at each corner as well as have a spare.

I haven't landed on a wheel yet, but I suspect I will get a 14x7 5+2 4x110, which is the correct size and will work both front and rear. I will of course run a set of spacers on the rear to bring the width up to match the front.

I'm looking at these for the P520:
View attachment 265350

I chose this tire because many of the comments I have been reading have really been pushing radial tires. I need the ride comfort in an aggressive tread.

For those of you that are running wide tires up front, or tall tires up front, do you have any guess how this will fit? I do have a little concern that the 27x11x14 will clear everything considering it is both wider and taller.

Thanks for your comments,

Rob

You might rub a little with that tire if those mounted diameter numbers are true. I had 26x11 BH's on 5+2's and 1" spacers, never knew it rubbed until I put the plow on. It was hitting the rockslider which protruded into the wheel well about 3/8". The math says you'll be 3/4" taller than I was...it'll be close.

Reactions: 1border4manu
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for your reply. I see how it could be an issue.

Does anyone know if the 500 and 520 are any different?

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Don't rule out the 27x11x12's. A little smoother ride. The 5-2 and 4-3 steel Deltas would even it out if your ok with those. They're an old school radial with larger than average lug height. Probably still making them cuz nobody complains.....

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the tip and response.

I'm also looking at the BH 3.0. The 27 x 11 x 14 is not nearly as tall and might have a better chance of fitting.

I've considered the 12" wheel option on and off. I like the look of the larger wheel, but recognize that I give up some side wall cushion by opting for the 14"

I'm trying to realistic with the type of surfaces I will be on with my P520. I live in Nebraska, which doesn't have a lot of mud, rocks or sand. But, when I get a chance to go to Moab where I grew up, I can encounter a totally different terrain . My acreage is mainly ravines and ridges with lots of organic soil from centuries of trees working on loess soils.

I'm really interested in a bit more planted feel without going too wide that I couldn't still use the P520 on a 50" trail. I suspect I will be over 52" with a 10" tire up front and aftermarket 5+2 wheel. Maybe 53"... The back i will just get spacers for to get the rig square front to rear.

How many people run bead locks?

Rob

makac132

makac132

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2017
Nelson, B.C.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running bighorn originals, My hardest decision of my purchase... It dragged on for a couple of months. Finally I rode on a friends forman on snow. He had done matching all the way around. I was surprised on how well it performed on most terrains. I pulled the trigger on the BH 12x27x12's. I ride on rough high desert, mountain terrain filled with lava rock and obsidian is everywhere just like glass. Knock on wood zero flats and I have pushed every limit possible loaded with elk, moose, sheep deer ect..... Love THE TIRE combo. I have since added a second with the exact setup. Zero,nada not a one regret or down fall. :)View attachment 69152
I'm running bighorn originals, My hardest decision of my purchase... It dragged on for a couple of months. Finally I rode on a friends forman on snow. He had done matching all the way around. I was surprised on how well it performed on most terrains. I pulled the trigger on the BH 12x27x12's. I ride on rough high desert, mountain terrain filled with lava rock and obsidian is everywhere just like glass. Knock on wood zero flats and I have pushed every limit possible loaded with elk, moose, sheep deer ect..... Love THE TIRE combo. I have since added a second with the exact setup. Zero,nada not a one regret or down fall. :)View attachment 69152
Stacy, do you have any experience in the snow with your BH originals?

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Just put on a set of 26x9x12 rocktane xd wires on 12x7 racline bead lock wheels and at full turn the tire is about a half inch from hitting the frame rail corner . I like the look and I don't know. If the little 520 could really power up a set of 12 wide for the riding we do.

Bead locks where really so I could fix a tire if I had to plus all the shops near me want 20 a tire for sxs tire mounting.

Reactions: J80 and Backwoods
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just put on a set of 26x9x12 rocktane xd wires on 12x7 racline bead lock wheels and at full turn the tire is about a half inch from hitting the frame rail corner . I like the look and I don't know. If the little 520 could really power up a set of 12 wide for the riding we do.

Bead locks where really so I could fix a tire if I had to plus all the shops near me want 20 a tire for sxs tire mounting.

Pics...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!