P500 Any regrets running same size tire all around?

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Been going back and forth on tire or tire/wheel combos for so long, my wife keeps asking if I'm ever going to order something. o_O

Lately, I have been considering running the same size on all 4 corners and think I have narrowed down my tire choice to either Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 25x8-12 or ITP Blackwater Evolution 25x9-12 and was thinking that I might mount either tire on STI beadlock 5+2 rims. I know most of you are running 26"+ tires, but I pretty much have to stay with a 25" to fit into my enclosed trailer.

Wondering if anyone that is running the same size tire on all 4 corners wish they would have gone staggered. I know many of the advantages of running the same size, but the only disadvantage I can think of is a loss of some flotation in the rear, and maybe some traction. What else am I missing? :confused:

If I go staggered, should I forgo the beadlocks and just mount on stock rims? I don't think 1" up will have much more pucker factor on stock wheels than OEM tires, plus I could always run spacers.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I run 26 by 11 by 12s with 5-2 wheels on all corners no complains, works awesome. You may wanna build some front mud flaps, have example of what I did in link. Primarily did it to rotate tires for even wear, easier replacement, even ground pressure and smoother ride.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Been going back and forth on tire or tire/wheel combos for so long, my wife keeps asking if I'm ever going to order something. o_O

Lately, I have been considering running the same size on all 4 corners and think I have narrowed down my tire choice to either Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 25x8-12 or ITP Blackwater Evolution 25x9-12 and was thinking that I might mount either tire on STI beadlock 5+2 rims. I know most of you are running 26"+ tires, but I pretty much have to stay with a 25" to fit into my enclosed trailer.

Wondering if anyone that is running the same size tire on all 4 corners wish they would have gone staggered. I know many of the advantages of running the same size, but the only disadvantage I can think of is a loss of some flotation in the rear, and maybe some traction. What else am I missing? :confused:

If I go staggered, should I forgo the beadlocks and just mount on stock rims? I don't think 1" up will have much more pucker factor on stock wheels than OEM tires, plus I could always run spacers.

I run sti 5+2 26 x 9 inch tires with no spacers. I like it because it tight places if the front tire clears the rear tire usually does too. Turning is slightly easier with nine inch wide tires in the back but hardly noticible. In deep mud or snow offset wheels might slow you down a little bit but I try to stay out of both.

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I run 28x10-14 motohammers. 4500 miles and no issues. About half tread remaining.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Anybody running 27x12x12 on P500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: Montecresto
SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Image Image Image Image I have 27 x 10 x 14 's all the way around, with 2" spacer. I wanted a bit more of a stable ride which the bigger tires and the spacers accomplished. No issues at all -but it seems to have a smoother "less" bumpy ride.

Good luck

Last edited:
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I have 28 x 10 x 14 's all the way around, with 2" spacer. I wanted a bit more of a stable ride which the bigger tires and the spacers accomplished. No issues at all -but it seems to have a smoother "less" bumpy ride.

Good luck
did you put 2" spacers all the way around with stock rims?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have 28 x 10 x 14 's all the way around, with 2" spacer. I wanted a bit more of a stable ride which the bigger tires and the spacers accomplished. No issues at all -but it seems to have a smoother "less" bumpy ride.

Good luck

Very interested in exactly what you are running, been thinking about 28x10x12 but wondered if they would fit without frame mod. You stated 14's so that means after market wheels, what's the offset 5+2? What tires are you using and are they actually 28" tall or a little less? I'm looking at the BH 2.0's which run a true 28", don't want to cut the frame.

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger mine are 14". Jasper drawer I have the spoked M12 rims. I have the 2" spacers all around. No problems no rub. I want to lift it with 2" spacers on the shocks but I don't want to loose the softness of the ride. I heard it can be. A stiffer ride what have you gents hear Do?

Thanks

Reactions: makac132
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running bighorn originals, My hardest decision of my purchase... It dragged on for a couple of months. Finally I rode on a friends forman on snow. He had done matching all the way around. I was surprised on how well it performed on most terrains. I pulled the trigger on the BH 12x27x12's. I ride on rough high desert, mountain terrain filled with lava rock and obsidian is everywhere just like glass. Knock on wood zero flats and I have pushed every limit possible loaded with elk, moose, sheep deer ect..... Love THE TIRE combo. I have since added a second with the exact setup. Zero,nada not a one regret or down fall. :)
Katryn 1 3

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!