P500 Good wheel/tire set up for snow and some sand???

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all,
I’d like to add some 27” tires and aluminum rims to my 520. I’m fine with being as wide as 54”, but the less the better. I’ve asked similar questions before, and am now ready to make the move. I just don’t know enough about it all to feel confident placing an order. When I try a “package” off of the Rocky Mountain ATV site, it limits the size I want. It would be great to find a tire/wheel/spacer package that people have used and found to be a good deal/setup. A webpage called KJmotersports has something like that, but they don’t have spacers as part of the kit and from what I can tell, that could be an issue.
Any one click packages that would do what I’m after? I’d use these primarily in the snow, but if they are much better than stock when there is no snow, I’d probably keep them on all year. When not in snow, I’m mostly on sandy two tracks. The hope/goal is to be able to get through the snow better, and maybe make for a smoother ride year-round.
Thanks

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all,
I’d like to add some 27” tires and aluminum rims to my 520. I’m fine with being as wide as 54”, but the less the better. I’ve asked similar questions before, and am now ready to make the move. I just don’t know enough about it all to feel confident placing an order. When I try a “package” off of the Rocky Mountain ATV site, it limits the size I want. It would be great to find a tire/wheel/spacer package that people have used and found to be a good deal/setup. A webpage called KJmotersports has something like that, but they don’t have spacers as part of the kit and from what I can tell, that could be an issue.
Any one click packages that would do what I’m after? I’d use these primarily in the snow, but if they are much better than stock when there is no snow, I’d probably keep them on all year. When not in snow, I’m mostly on sandy two tracks. The hope/goal is to be able to get through the snow better, and maybe make for a smoother ride year-round.
Thanks
You're going to want a round profile tire for sand and snow, preferably light, they have better flotation. Find some 12" wheels you like with a 5+2 offset 4/110. Choose the 12x9x? tire of your choice. Get some 1" spacers for the rear from RB3 or dealer of choice. Mount 'em up and you're good to go.

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
This is a set from the KJmotorsports site. Would I just add 1” spacers for the rears?
  • 4) MSA M33 Clutch ATV Wheels - Satin Black [12x7] +10mm, 4/110 [M33-02710]
  • (2) Maxxis Zilla (6ply) ATV Tires [27x9-12]
  • (2) Maxxis Zilla (6ply) ATV Tires [27x11-12]
  • (1) Gorilla 12mm x 1.5" Lug Kit & Valve Stems - Chrome [K4CS-12150GR]
  • (4) Tires Mount on ATV/UTV Wheels
It’s maddening to try and order from Rocky Mountain. It won’t let me just select the wheels/tires I want, without entering in what they are going on. And then it limits my options. There has to be a better way to do this.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This is a set from the KJmotorsports site. Would I just add 1” spacers for the rears?
  • 4) MSA M33 Clutch ATV Wheels - Satin Black [12x7] +10mm, 4/110 [M33-02710]
  • (2) Maxxis Zilla (6ply) ATV Tires [27x9-12]
  • (2) Maxxis Zilla (6ply) ATV Tires [27x11-12]
  • (1) Gorilla 12mm x 1.5" Lug Kit & Valve Stems - Chrome [K4CS-12150GR]
  • (4) Tires Mount on ATV/UTV Wheels
You may not need the spacers if sticking with the wide's on the back. Most guys run the same size on all four for rotation ability and a common spare.
+10mm I don't understand? If that's the offset then I don't think it's enough?
Valve stems will be supplied wherever you have them mounted, unless doing it yourself?
Lug nuts can be purchased at O'Reilly's or Auto Zone. You're going to want splined lug nuts or you won't be able to get a wrench on them.

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
You may not need the spacers if sticking with the wide's on the back. Most guys run the same size on all four for rotation ability and a common spare.
+10mm I don't understand? If that's the offset then I don't think it's enough?
Valve stems will be supplied wherever you have them mounted, unless doing it yourself?
Lug nuts can be purchased at O'Reilly's or Auto Zone. You're going to want splined lug nuts or you won't be able to get a wrench on them.
Yeah. This is what I’m talking about. I have no idea. I think the thing to do is to call Rocky Mountain, or wherever, and tell them that I want what you recommended and hopefully they will set it up that way. It would be really great if a store just had already set up kits with descriptions of what they are best for. Thanks for the help.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Looks like 10mm offset is equivalent to 4+3 offset (which is what I run with 27s, 9s front 11s rear). My tires are directional so no rotating option for me.

I typically buy the tires and wheels separately then take them to Wally World for mounting. But if you find a combo set that you like then all the better.

I'm at 53, 53.5" wide with my setup.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like 10mm offset is equivalent to 4+3 offset.

I typically buy the tires and wheels separately then take them to Wally World for mounting. But if you find a combo set that you like then all the better.
That's not a terrible offset, gives more stability. Looks like the Zilla's run 1" short from true so don't know that it would be needed? Yeah the one stop shop would make it easy wouldn't it?

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
I’ve got 4 Tusk Beartooth 12x7 5.0+2 wheels and 4 Tusk Megabite 27x9x12 tire all ready to order. Rocky Mtn only has 1.5” spacers, so I’ll have to order those from somewhere else. Does this seem like a set up that will work, and be good in snow and sandy two tracks? It will be right around $1000 for everything, which is about the same as the Maxxis package. Any thoughts/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
9s for the rear is a bit skinny, I'd personally go 4 10s, or 9s front 11s rear.

9s and 11s will give you an even track, width wise. Don't necessarily need spacers with 5+2 and 27s, IMO.

RB3 is an excellent choice for spacers, should you want to add them.

Edit: I've not much experience in heavy sand and snow. 9s all around might be great for all I know. 🙃

Last edited:
D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
9s for the rear is a bit skinny, I'd personally go 4 10s, or 9s front 11s rear.

9s and 11s will give you an even track, width wise. Don't necessarily need spacers with 5+2 and 27s, IMO.

RB3 is an excellent choice for spacers, should you want to add them.

Edit: I've not much experience in heavy sand and snow. 9s all around might be great for all I know. 🙃
Thanks for the info. If I did 10’s all around, would I need 1” spacers on the back?

Reactions: futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Thanks. Any idea how wide I’ll be? Also, any thoughts on if this would be a good set up for snow and sandy two tracks?

I've no experience with Megabites.

Most tire manufacturers will specify which treads are good in which conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dschaffer
D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
I've no experience with Megabites.

Most tire manufacturers will specify which treads are good in which conditions.
When I use the “snow” filter on Rocky Mtn., for the tire size, the Megabites are one of two options. The others are ITP Mud Lite XL, which seem ok, but appear to be directional. That shouldn’t matter though if I’m going with all 10”s. Does anybody have experience with either of these?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Paddles will be the only tires that are geared towards that kind of specific riding. Then they'd suck on hard pack. You're looking for a good all around tire that does okay in sand and snow. Hard to beat Big Horns in that category.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
The ‘Rocky Mtn’ site can be frustrating. I went elsewhere even after a call to them. They must have a lot of issues with people buying stuff that that they want to return because they ‘over’ bought a size or combo. If you’re going with four 7” rims then buy for flotation for your sand and snow. Find 10s, 11s all the way around that run wide. Radials ride better. 27x11s are tight up front but fun. Kenda XTRs maybe…….

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Tires/Wheels arrived today. I have to say I am impressed with how quick that happened. Now I just wait for the spacer. I’ve got to say that I am wishing I had gone with 28”s. I could be wrong, but it certainly appears that there will be plenty of room.
IMG 1688
IMG 1686

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My 27x9s rub occasionally under compression.

Looks good! What offset are those wheels?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dschaffer
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
EDIT: No, 28s would not have fit.

(I didn't realize I was in a 500/520 thread. Thanks, @trigger)

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!