P1000 Any tuner options available to prevent Pioneer DCT from downshifting in manual mode?

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got a 2016 base model Pioneer 1000 that I added paddle shifters to then found out that the machine will downshift on it's own and not hold the selected gear. I guess it was programmed to do this to prevent transmission damage from lugging it but it really aggravates me at times when I'd like to manipulate the amount of engine braking / coasting. At times I'd like to be able to freewheel with minimal engine braking and this machine doesn't permit that. I've never downshifted through every gear on a manual transmission coming to a stop but this Pioneer does and it seems to me that would be much more transmission / clutch wear than just coasting to a stop then downshifting back to 1st as I typically do on a manual unless needing engine braking for a hill decent or to aid in a faster stop.

I rode a friend's 2016 Honda 420 Rancher with the DCT and had no complaints with it. I was able to vary engine braking / freewheeling to my liking although once that quad got down to a really slow speed it would still downshift itself but it's nearly stopped before doing it which is fine with me, at least it allows for coasting to a stop on flat ground.

I'd also like it if I could get my Pioneer to default to manual mode or at least the last drive mode it was left in on startup or anytime after selecting or shifting by reverse.

I'd enjoy my Pioneer better if it was just a standard manual transmission with ES paddle shift. I think the first few years of the Pioneer 500 were such?

Reactions: russknight
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure, but I'll give you one bit of advice: Stay away from all things COPS, no matter what they claim.

Reactions: Remington
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The Pioneer is programmed to downshift to a lower gear to prevent engine lugging when driving at low speeds or climbing a grade. "Lugging" occurs when the engine is operating at low rpm where it lacks adequate torque to accelerate or hold road speed. It's the engine that can be damaged under severe lugging, not the transmission.

The machine is also programmed to downshift to lower gears as it slows to a stop. This saves brake pads from excessive wear and overheating.

I generally like the way my buggy operates and haven't seen any other complaints.

Reactions: Remington
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
You are correct the 15 & 16 p5s manual.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Pioneer is programmed to downshift to a lower gear to prevent engine lugging when driving at low speeds or climbing a grade. "Lugging" occurs when the engine is operating at low rpm where it lacks adequate torque to accelerate or hold road speed. It's the engine that can be damaged under severe lugging, not the transmission.

The machine is also programmed to downshift to lower gears as it slows to a stop. This saves brake pads from excessive wear and overheating.

I generally like the way my buggy operates and haven't seen any other complaints.
Regardless of which driveline components the engineers are trying to save I suppose I'm old school as I get rather frustrated these days when an engineer at a desk is partially driving for me out on the trail or road, especially when I'm led to believe I have a manually controlled option.

I get spells where I'll drive rather aggressively but they are few and far between. These days I'm usually just driving like an uber conservative grandpa. I daily drive a manual 5spd pickup, ride street bikes and prefer foot shift ATV's. Driving all these, on flat ground anyway, I'll allow the vehicle to coast a good ways when coming to a stop and am super easy on brakes. I do love having good engine braking and utilize it often but this Pioneer aggravates me with every stop by (downshift to 5th engine braking, downshift to 4th engine braking, downshift to 3rd engine braking, downshift to 2nd engine braking, downshift to 1st engine braking) what a routine to go through for every deceleration period. I just want to let off the throttle using my own judgment of distance and grade to coast to nearly a stop before applying a little brake then select back down through the gears to 1st or either have it like that 2016 Honda Rancher DCT and it auto select back to 1st gear when I'm pretty much already stopped, that engineer choosing 1st for me when I'm basically stopped is a smart one that I can agree with cause at that point what other option do you have LOL.

I often drive a 2017 Toyota Corolla manual 6spd that has occasionally startled me with that emergency auto braking. I'm cruising down the interstate in the right lane with cruise set and a car in the left lane just ahead gives a right turn signal just before an exit so I can see what their intent is and don't feel a need to hit the brake or knock off the cruise but when they cross in front of me going to the exit that Corolla aggressively applied the brakes and startled the s*** out of me, thanks engineer.

The ironic thing here is my career field has been in process instrumentation and automated control LOL, still doesn't mean I want a programming engineer thinking for me while I'm at the wheel.

Come on tuners, figure out how to give me manual control of my gears when I've selected the Honda's manual control option.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The PV3 gives you access to the shift tables.
I haven't tried to change the MT shift behavior but it looks like you can.
No promises on this, but it may be what you're looking for.
Some A hole stole my PV3 off of my bike so I'm stuck with the last tune in it for now until i replace it.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, I'll read up on this PV3 device mentioned. I like programmability when I can access and do the programming.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
throw it in neutral - lol

to me, one of the simplest, most reliable machine ever made, air cooled, carb, awesome transfer case, foot shift, my daily cruiser.....put gas in and go, no bulls***

I don't even know what year it is, think '02, barn find with under 600 miles, put fresh fluids all around, new plug, green slime in dry rotted tires, carb clean, new gas. :p

IMG 7836
:p

Reactions: ChadD
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You will get used to it. One thing is to compare it with another Pioneer 1000. The clutch slips at around 1,800 rpm so the trans should downshift at around 2,000 rpm to protect the clutch. If you override the auto mode the ECU won't allow an up or down shift that would overspeed or lug the engine.

Reactions: ChadD
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know at least three people who have stripped out their reverse gears trying to throw their Pioneer in Neutral when rolling, so try to avoid that course of action...

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Same here one of my friends was on the phone thought he would pop it into neutral and let it coat at 50 mph there was one grinding crunch and reverse was gone, don't try for neutral no no no.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep, already done the shift to neutral a few times, low speed, not at 50mph. Rather poor way to try coasting to a stop though so I don't advise either.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
throw it in neutral - lol

to me, one of the simplest, most reliable machine ever made, air cooled, carb, awesome transfer case, foot shift, my daily cruiser.....put gas in and go, no bulls***

I don't even know what year it is, think '02, barn find with under 600 miles, put fresh fluids all around, new plug, green slime in dry rotted tires, carb clean, new gas. :p

View attachment 349071:p
I had the Quad Runner 250 version, that super low range was fun to play with, super slow wheelies with a friend or two on the back and going up a slight grade. It was a fun and reliable quad until the rear U-joins gave out, not even CV joins on the 1991 I had back in the 90's. They wanted an arm and a leg for replacement axles for it back then. Hopefully there's a much less expensive option for them these days.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You will get used to it. One thing is to compare it with another Pioneer 1000. The clutch slips at around 1,800 rpm so the trans should downshift at around 2,000 rpm to protect the clutch. If you override the auto mode the ECU won't allow an up or down shift that would overspeed or lug the engine.
I've owned this machine for 2 years now and really like it with the exception of it not being able to freewheel. I bought it with plans to go trail riding a good bit but have only taken it once, right after I bought it. At that time it didn't have paddle shifters or the auto/manual button so I added all that after that trip as it aggravated me so bad on my favorite section of trail.

This trail section is a series of steep but fairly smooth stair steps but with a berm at the top of each step section. On my Honda Foreman or every other vehicle I've ridden there I find a satisfaction in holding one gear for the whole climb to the top. I think I'm usually in 3rd on the Foreman and I'll buzz up a section and back off the throttle just before cresting the berm and losing most all momentum then coast down the back side of the berm regaining momentum and back into the throttle to run up the next section. I'm not sure exactly why I enjoy that section so much and run it the way I do but on the Pioneer I'd crest the berm and start down the backside to regain momentum and downshift/engine braking she'd go just crushing my enjoyment of that old favorite section of trail.

I've just been using the Pioneer around the farm on flat ground since but it's about to make a return trip to those trails again and it's aggravating me already thinking about how it's going to perform there even after spending the money and time adding the paddle shifters, it only added manual control for upshifting as it's going to still downshift the same as it does in auto. I should have only bought the +shift paddle and switch as I never use the -shift. Yep they were sold separately and not as a set, at the time. LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!