P1000 DCT won’t shift past 3rd gear

J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2020 will not shift past 3rd gear when in AT mode, and if I shift to 4th in MT mode the engine rapidly slows like it’s going to stall until I shift back down to 3rd. If I shift the sub-transmission from H to L, I can get into 4th gear but not 5th. The engine/DCT oil level is good, I have done the clutch relearn, and I’ve disconnected and reconnected the batteries. I can‘t seem to find any information on this issue or anything similar. Any help on where to look or what to try would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: JenElio and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First, Welcome from Michigan

We need a few things before we start. Fist is Pica of your rig as in Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Second, miles on the rig and any mods, 1 battery or 2 and how do u have them hooked up? All makes a difference in this issue.

Reactions: john7143
J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, sorry about that. It’s a 2020 SXS1000M5DL, 67 hours, 675 miles, 6” SATV lift, 6” SATV 45% portals, Rhino 2.0 axles, Rough Country coil over shocks, Keller ball joints, chromoly steering spherical rod ends, billet steering box, 40” BKT tires, dual batteries with winch, light bar/pods, and sound system. This SXS is new to me so I did not do any of the work to it, but I can provide whatever additional specifics needed. Thanks again.
IMG 9799

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You didn't mention the two most relevant bits of information.: At what road speed are you driving when you say the DCT won't upshift beyond 3rd gear? And what engine rpm are you winding it to? Will if shift up if you wind the engine to redline?

Unfortunately, you're not going to like my comments.

I suspect the oversized tires and wheels play a major role in the shift problem. Those tires and wheels dramatically alter final gearing. I assume "45% portals" are meant to offset the effect on gearing created by the tires and wheels but even if gearing equals out mathematically the torque required to spin those heavy wheels and tires and the power losses in the portals probably add up to more than that little 1000cc engine can handle. Perhaps you could swap in an 1832cc flat six from a Goldwing?

Do you know someone else with a Pioneer using the same portals, wheels, and tires you can compare to yours?

No dealer is going to touch that thing.

Edit: Did you keep the original wheels and tires? If you did remount them and I'll bet the DCT will quickly shift up to 6th gear.

J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When in AUTO, The DCT will not shift beyond 3rd in high range, or beyond 4th when in low range, regardless of road speed or engine RPM. In MANUAL, if I shift beyond 3rd in high range, or beyond 4th in low range, using the paddle shifter on the steering wheel, the engine begins to stall, regardless of road speed or engine RPM.

I did not build it. It came to me as is and I do not have any OEM parts that were taken off.

I hardly expect dealers to touch the things they should, let alone this SXS. I will fix whatever the issue is and am more the capable to do so. I am just looking information, ideas, or someone who has had a similar DCT issue, as this SXS and the DCT are new to me.

Reactions: Jerryg
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
When in AUTO, The DCT will not shift beyond 3rd in high range, or beyond 4th when in low range, regardless of road speed or engine RPM. In MANUAL, if I shift beyond 3rd in high range, or beyond 4th in low range, using the paddle shifter on the steering wheel, the engine begins to stall, regardless of road speed or engine RPM.

I did not build it. It came to me as is and I do not have any OEM parts that were taken off.

I hardly expect dealers to touch the things they should, let alone this SXS. I will fix whatever the issue is and am more the capable to do so. I am just looking information, ideas, or someone who has had a similar DCT issue, as this SXS and the DCT are new to me.

The DCT is controlled by an ECM. The ECM is protecting the engine and transmission from lugging. The little 1000cc engine simply lacks the power (torque) to handle the load created by the wheels and tires in a higher gear.

Borrow a set of OEM or similar sized wheels and tires and I'm confident your problem will disappear.

J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would certainly try smaller tires if I came across any, and I don’t disagree that the larger wheels/tires take additional torque to spin and are heavier. However, with the gear reduction of portal boxes being at each wheel, the rest of the drive train should not be over worked, assuming the gear reduction in the portal box is proper. I have not done the exact math, but from looking at different manufacturers of portal gear boxes, it seems the increased tire size of this SXS over the stock size would call for a 45% or 60% gear reduction portal box. So if the portal reduction makes up for the loss of reduction from the tires, I wouldn’t think the heavier wheels/tires are the problem. I could see that contributing to the issue, but not the sole cause. This SXS has been setup and used like this for around 4 years now. It drove fine for me one morning and later that evening started doing this.

Reactions: JenElio
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The DCT is controlled by an ECM. The ECM is protecting the engine and transmission from lugging. The little 1000cc engine simply lacks the power (torque) to handle the load created by the wheels and tires in a higher gear.

Borrow a set of OEM or similar sized wheels and tires and I'm confident your problem will disappear.

Not intending to argue, but before be swapping parts out, I'd find a nice downhill or even just a level road (without a strong headwind). See if it'll shift properly with less of a load on motor and tranny. If it does, that's a sign @HBarlow is barking up the right tree.

Both the perhaps "more normal" things I've experienced that prevented up-shifting, the seat belt interlock was easy enough. The Neutral Sense Switch was tougher to figure out.

If the engine is bogging down, it might also be fuel or fuel system related.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Not intending to argue, but before be swapping parts out, I'd find a nice downhill or even just a level road (without a strong headwind). See if it'll shift properly with less of a load on motor and tranny. If it does, that's a sign @HBarlow is barking up the right tree.

Both the perhaps "more normal" things I've experienced that prevented up-shifting, the seat belt interlock was easy enough. The Neutral Sense Switch was tougher to figure out.

If the engine is bogging down, it might also be fuel or fuel system related.
That rig might, just might be able to shift up on a very steep downhill run but there are no hills in Florida

Reactions: Remington
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would certainly try smaller tires if I came across any, and I don’t disagree that the larger wheels/tires take additional torque to spin and are heavier. However, with the gear reduction of portal boxes being at each wheel, the rest of the drive train should not be over worked, assuming the gear reduction in the portal box is proper. I have not done the exact math, but from looking at different manufacturers of portal gear boxes, it seems the increased tire size of this SXS over the stock size would call for a 45% or 60% gear reduction portal box. So if the portal reduction makes up for the loss of reduction from the tires, I wouldn’t think the heavier wheels/tires are the problem. I could see that contributing to the issue, but not the sole cause. This SXS has been setup and used like this for around 4 years now. It drove fine for me one morning and later that evening started doing this.
hi - thanks for posting a pic

here is what I suggest to start with:
-both cylinders firing? spray water on each manifold header, use a temp gun, meat thermometer - you will know if u have a plug out
-check air intake and filter for blockage/nest, etc. - want to check u have enough air
-you have a voltmeter inside cab? have battery tested - more than 1issue due to bad batree, a voltmeter when this is happening would be a data point
-check all connectors around shift solenoids

btw - you have a set of em for wanting more than 3rd gear out of that machine and turning the wheel

also - just to verify - all good one day and then this problem the next day? no crashes, swamping, additional accessories, etc. between ran fine and now doesn't run fine?

J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hi - thanks for posting a pic

here is what I suggest to start with:
-both cylinders firing? spray water on each manifold header, use a temp gun, meat thermometer - you will know if u have a plug out
-check air intake and filter for blockage/nest, etc. - want to check u have enough air
-you have a voltmeter inside cab? have battery tested - more than 1issue due to bad batree, a voltmeter when this is happening would be a data point
-check all connectors around shift solenoids

btw - you have a set of em for wanting more than 3rd gear out of that machine and turning the wheel

also - just to verify - all good one day and then this problem the next day? no crashes, swamping, additional accessories, etc. between ran fine and now doesn't run fine?
Right, worked fine in AM few days ago, sat in the shop untouched, and then this happened same day in the PM.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Right, worked fine in AM few days ago, sat in the shop untouched, and then this happened same day in the PM.
If you haven't already, I'd put it up on a lift and run it on 4WD to see if there's any difference. Might also check shift position sensor(s)??

And I agree, if the portals are doing their job the oversized tires shouldn't have that big of an affect on engine.

J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven't already, I'd put it up on a lift and run it on 4WD to see if there's any difference. Might also check shift position sensor(s)??

And I agree, if the portals are doing their job the oversized tires shouldn't have that big of an affect on engine.
Yeah, I’m cleaning up all the wiring now and looking for electrical issues. After that I’ll put it on the lift, the shift cables need adjustment anyway.

Reactions: JenElio and Jerryg
J

john7143

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2024
Mims, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cleaning up the electrical wiring fixed it. It was a mess under the hood. I removed a bunch that wasn’t in use and cleaned all the connections. The only non factory stuff I left was the dual battery set up/TrueAm isolator and the winch. I’m guessing one of the batteries had a bad connection(s). The DCT shifts as it should now.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cleaning up the electrical wiring fixed it. It was a mess under the hood. I removed a bunch that wasn’t in use and cleaned all the connections. The only non factory stuff I left was the dual battery set up/TrueAm isolator and the winch. I’m guessing one of the batteries had a bad connection(s). The DCT shifts as it should now.
Congrats on finding the problem. Down here in Mississippi there are a LOT of sxs’s with portals and tall mud tires.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Outstanding !!!!

Works one morning and not working in evening, not the clutches

The portals and engine are more than adequate for those wheels/tires.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!