P700m4 Anyone ever find a solution to cold start problems with the 700?

N

Nebowhunter

Nov 5, 2019
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone ever find a reliable solution to cold start problems with the 700 pioneer?

Reactions: Buggyman
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
A little searching on the subject will lead you to know that it never totally gets one crank and running but a larger battery and better cables fixed 95 percent of mine.
Many have chimed in on this subject and many have left their experiences.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Anyone ever find a reliable solution to cold start problems with the 700 pioneer?
I think what @Glock21user said for bigger battery. I might add to get a hotter spark plug as well.

BTW congrats on your first post since joining 3 years ago!👏🥳
So u must know the drill then?
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN ;)

N

Nebowhunter

Nov 5, 2019
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did a battery box with a car battery. Also did iridium spark plug. Still not reliable. Also added a block heater on the oil cooler line. Don't like having to haul an run a generator just so the machine will start. My diesel truck shouldn't do better than a gas honda.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I honestly think if the starter had more torque it would fire. I just don't think the starter has enough ass in a cold weather situation.
Holy crap a full sized battery didn't help.
How cold you talking?
Here in Michigan mine has never failed or even given pause after the upgraded battery.
I would try new cables next as they may be limiting the current the starter can draw.
Each cable size will only pass so much power then it just turns to heat.
Good luck and let us know.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
the two best things I found that work quite well are, first a bigger battery, my car sized battery will crank the 700 when below zero really well. And the second thing i do is when I go to start it I make sure its in neutral, and put the key in and turn it right to start, no stopping at on the give the fuel pump a chance to prime or nothing, just put the key in and start. I don't know why it works but someone many years ago tried it and spoke of it so I've been doing it like this ever since.

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
I generally don’t have any problems down to about -25c with mine. I cycle the key on and off a couple time to make sure the fuel system is pressurized before trying a start. Also to lower viscosity oil in winter.

Reactions: Glock21user and CID
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In real cold weather I turn over my Honda Foreman one time with the pull cord, and it helps immensely, but I don't think you have that option on the 700. One thing you said that has me wondering was, ".... if the starter had more torque it would fire. " That make me wonder if perhaps you have a bad starter.

No Honda should have that much of a problem starting. It must be something pretty basic. The Iridium plugs are great, but they the machine should start with regular plugs and a regular battery for that matter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!