P700 Won’t start when cold

Jzames22

Jzames22

Apr 23, 2021
Cloquet mn
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 21 700 DELUX does not like to start if it’s below 10 degrees…. Living in the icebox of the nation this is a problem. 500miles all stock for battery/ charging system. Is there anything you guys have done or seen to help with frigid temp strats?

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When u say “charging system” what kinda and when is it on?
Also, are u storing the Rig indoors with or without heat or outdoors?

Jzames22

Jzames22

Apr 23, 2021
Cloquet mn
Ownership

1. 700-2
My rig is stored in an unheated pole barn with no power so it’s just “chilling” what I meant by stock battery/charging system is I do not have a dual battery set up or bigger batter

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My rig is stored in an unheated pole barn with no power so it’s just “chilling” what I meant by stock battery/charging system is I do not have a dual battery set up or bigger batter
Should t matter about a dual battery. When u start the rig, its on the primary anyway.

My cabin is in the great white north of michigan and mine sits outside when im there. I use to have difficulty in the single digits to start the rig. Cold kills batteries especially our style . So i hooked up a float charger with an internal plug, run a long (NoHomo) extension cord to an outside outlet at the cabin and Vola!!!! The battery stays charged and has plenty of cranking guts to get the rig started. I did it on my P1 but would be the same set up for a P7

47563125 849D 4BE6 B60E 6890CFD8BB51
9EC4FA70 85CB 4C9B BCFA 4170059E4140

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Being an FNG and minimal posts, you prob didnt know this….
When replying to a post make sure to hit REPLY on the post (see above) so the member your replying too gets a notification. Just FYI, I would have never known u were answering my question if i wouldn't have been scrolling around and stumbled on your reply to my question. No biggie. Just take note in the future, were just here to help u navigate better

Jzames22

Jzames22

Apr 23, 2021
Cloquet mn
Ownership

1. 700-2
Being an FNG and minimal posts, you prob didnt know this….
When replying to a post make sure to hit REPLY on the post (see above) so the member your replying too gets a notification. Just FYI, I would have never known u were answering my question if i wouldn't have been scrolling around and stumbled on your reply to my question. No biggie. Just take note in the future, were just here to help u navigate better
Thank you!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 21 700 DELUX does not like to start if it’s below 10 degrees…. Living in the icebox of the nation this is a problem. 500miles all stock for battery/ charging system. Is there anything you guys have done or seen to help with frigid temp strats?
I had a major problem starting my 700 when it was in the single digits and below. I did alot of researching and what made the best improvement on mine was to install a larger battery. The Canadian models of the 700 actually come with a bigger battery with more CCA from the factory. I ended up replacing my stock battery with a bigger one that had 310 CCA and that fixed mine. You might try jump starting with another battery to see if that helps before trying another battery.

Jzames22

Jzames22

Apr 23, 2021
Cloquet mn
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had a major problem starting my 700 when it was in the single digits and below. I did alot of researching and what made the best improvement on mine was to install a larger battery. The Canadian models of the 700 actually come with a bigger battery with more CCA from the factory. I ended up replacing my stock battery with a bigger one that had 310 CCA and that fixed mine. You might try jump starting with another battery to see if that helps before trying another battery.
I’ll have to give that a try. I don’t have power in the barn so plugging it in is not an option. I also would like to use it ice fishing but am afraid to get stranded at this point.

Jzames22

Jzames22

Apr 23, 2021
Cloquet mn
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ll have to give that a try. I don’t have power in the barn so plugging it in is not an option. I also would like to use it ice fishing but am afraid to get stranded at this point.
Does your larger battery fit in the stock spot?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This has always been a complaint with the 700.

As @tjoreo mentioned, Canadian models get a better battery.
There was also a post somewhere...maybe the FB group...that an even larger one can be fitted by removing the little plastic divider and utilizing the whole space. I think that's what I'll do when the time comes. Now, if I could just find that post again...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@1950Willys can you confirm this to be true?

GYZ20H will fit if you cut out a small plastic piece in battery box. I found a post on this site talking about it. Haven't done it myself as my battery I have now is pretty new and I hate to waste money.. When my battery does start to fail I will upgrade to the GYZ20H, make sure you do not get one with "L" after it as terminals will not be in correct locations.

H

hnt4der

Nov 16, 2021
California
Ownership

1. 700-4
I screen shot these pictures a while back from this site for future reference when I needed to replace my battery. I believe this also is a bigger battery that will work if you remove that plastic piece at the bottom of battery tray. Correct me if I’m wrong.

07D18AD1 D9E2 4468 B345 D6F38339F79E 4566235D 0802 46AA BAFB 51D77D0D5D19

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I screen shot these pictures a while back from this site for future reference when I needed to replace my battery. I believe this also is a bigger battery that will work if you remove that plastic piece at the bottom of battery tray. Correct me if I’m wrong.

View attachment 369073 View attachment 369074
Wait…. Shut the front door!
He says in the pick he put it on a bike! You sure its for a SXS? 🤣 Dont mess the OP up now!🥳

• Haha
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the battery that I used. I was going to try one with 270 CCA but this one actually had 310 CCA with just a little more height. Like @DG Rider said there is a little piece of plastic that needs to be removed in the bottom of the tray, but I did get it to fit and it worked well for me. Like I said you might be able to add a test second battery with a set of jumper cables to make sure that low starting current is the problem, before you add a bigger battery but it was my problem. I did a lot of research and found that the similar Honda Rincon motor would actually stop firing the fuel injectors if the voltage dropped too low ( I believe 10.8 volts if I remember right). I think this was the main problem as it would drop in voltage enough to crank the motor but not fire the injectors. Hope you can find something that will work, but my 700 was the worst thing that I have ever owned when trying to start in the cold. Very temperamental and VERY frustrating.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here's the battery that I used. I was going to try one with 270 CCA but this one actually had 310 CCA with just a little more height. Like @DG Rider said there is a little piece of plastic that needs to be removed in the bottom of the tray, but I did get it to fit and it worked well for me. Like I said you might be able to add a test second battery with a set of jumper cables to make sure that low starting current is the problem, before you add a bigger battery but it was my problem. I did a lot of research and found that the similar Honda Rincon motor would actually stop firing the fuel injectors if the voltage dropped too low ( I believe 10.8 volts if I remember right). I think this was the main problem as it would drop in voltage enough to crank the motor but not fire the injectors. Hope you can find something that will work, but my 700 was the worst thing that I have ever owned when trying to start in the cold. Very temperamental and VERY frustrating.

So, to be clear, did the bigger battery cure the starting issues?

Reactions: Buggyman and tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It did fix my problem. I used my rig for snowplowing, so I always had it on a trickle charger so the stock battery was always fully charged. It just didn't have enough poop to get it going when it was cold.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It did fix my problem. I used my rig for snowplowing, so I always had it on a trickle charger so the stock battery was always fully charged. It just didn't have enough poop to get it going when it was cold.
Good to hear.
The question comes up often, and living in AZ, I can't really contribute much. Up in central AZ where I used to live, it would get down into teens usually. My first 700 that I owned at the time never really had an issue. Crank a little slow, but always fired. Where I am now its rare to get below freezing.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in Southern Idaho and we don't get that cold much. When it hit the single digits or lower though I just knew I was going to have trouble starting it. Like alot of the early 700 owners I thought about adding a full size battery under the seat but I had a storage box there that I didn't want to loose. Finding something that would fit in the stock location was what I was after and it really cured my problem. This is one thing I haven't missed in upgrading to my 1000. I have never had trouble getting it going even in the Negatives.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!