P700 [RESOLVED] Won't start unless pressing gas

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
I've got a Big Red 700. I rebuilt it just over a year ago and everything has been working fine. However, it has started presenting an issue where it won't start unless you pump the gas pedal. It will crank all day long and not even sputter without opening the throttle. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, it requires throttle to start. Once it fires up, though, everything runs perfectly fine.

I am just now starting to teardown process so I haven't checked anything yet. Figured I'd get this post out there and hopefully have some suggestions by the time I have the engine exposed.

Ideas?

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Sorry for the delay on this. Had some other issues that I was diagnosing (that I THOUGHT I knew the cause of, which is why I went straight to a tear-down). Still haven't been able to get back to this issue (needing to give it gas to start), but will be posting another thread for the other issue. Once I get that one resolved, I'll be back to this one.

F

fmjnax

Jan 9, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Resolution found in the other thread. Turns out my exhaust valve clearances had been loosening up over time, causing the camshaft decompression system to lose effectiveness up to the point that the starter couldn't turn the engine past the compression stroke.

My theory is that when it started loosening up, it was just enough to allow some of the compression to remain, putting extra load on the starter. I was having to give it extra fuel to get it to fire under the extra load. As it continued to loosen up over time, it would let even less compression out and add more load to the starter and get harder to start. By the end, it had loosened so much that the starter was working as hard as it possibly could [and then finally had so much compression it couldn't turn the engine over and stripped the teeth of the starter; which was the topic of the other thread].

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!