Anyone try remote?

Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone try a wireless remote for their winch? Have KFI Stealth with control switch installed in the cab on the switch plate. Was going to try the wireless instead of the wired handheld. I’ve tried a number of times to install it on the winch seloniod. No luck working. Suggestions?

38498D84 0CEA 43B0 A616 DF40B496C3D2

J

JTW

Yeah.. it works great. If you get one that works... the first one didn’t and I had to return it and try again. Since, I haven’t had any issues.

So, I can’t rember what I was doing wrong but it didn’t hook up the way I thought it would. I’ll take a pic of mine and see what goes where.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had great luck with mine. It just piggy backs into the solenoid with the standard wiring. I used positaps onto the remote switch wiring. I have the remote it came with installed next to the steering column, a rocker switch in my panel and then the remote. My wiring on a superwinch is yellow to green and white to black plus the red to power and the black to ground.

Reactions: BWAF, sharp and JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Got the same one, good value for less than $15. Experience with prior 8000lb winches and broken cables makes the remote a good safety addition. Handy for tree work.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW hit the nail on the head. "If" you can get one that works. I got lucky first time out. Mine works flawlessly for over 2yrs until i ran over controller and squashed it. I still have keychain controller. Only downside was getting used to it not stopping immediately when you let go of button. Mine ran for half sec or so.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine came with the winch and works like a charm. I've had mine a little less time than Delton and it still works great. It was a perfect when I ran got stuck and was sitting next to a yellow jacket nest. I could walk off away from the rig and winch instead of being near it.

advertisement
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah.. it works great. If you get one that works... the first one didn’t and I had to return it and try again. Since, I haven’t had any issues.

So, I can’t rember what I was doing wrong but it didn’t hook up the way I thought it would. I’ll take a pic of mine and see what goes where.
Send pic when you can. Thx JTW.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine came with the winch and works like a charm. I've had mine a little less time than Delton and it still works great. It was a perfect when I ran got stuck and was sitting next to a yellow jacket nest. I could walk off away from the rig and winch instead of being near it.
That Quadboss is a nice winch. Quietest winch ive ever heard. My Superwinch sounded like gears grinding right out of the box. Once i removed circuit breaker its worked great

Reactions: drfubar and BWAF
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I tried but I can’t get a pic of it with the orientation and placement of my winch solenoid.

The most common mistake on these would be wiring it to the winch itself instead of the control side of the contactor. I bought the carchet brand on ebay after reading the thread on here in the spring. It is probably the best under $20 purchase I've made for the pioneer.
Mine came with a wiring guide, but it's pretty straight forward as long as you keep the wiring on the control side(small wires) of the contactor. I connected the power(12v+) to the + on my second battery. Some guys use the key on lead for this ( I'll change mine to this method in the future) I grounded it with the contactor ground and the other 2 wires control out and in. You have a 50/50 chance getting them right and just reverse them if it's wrong. The blue wire on mine is the antennae and it just lays in there out of the way. My picture above is about the best I could get also because the wiring is on the bottom of the contactor.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I’m on my 3rd one. They are very electrically sensitive. 1st one was an accidental short. 2nd one died b/c of jumping the battery. 3rd one has had no problems since I now have a main kill switch for all my accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Two years running ours. No problems at all, my only complaint was it’s slight delay on/off the button like @Delton said. You get use to it quickly but watch out for someone helping you winch in. Well worth the money

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two years running ours. No problems at all, my only complaint was it’s slight delay on/off the button like @Delton said. You get use to it quickly but watch out for someone helping you winch in. Well worth the money
Just dont lay controller down on trail and then run over it like i did lol

J

JTW

The most common mistake on these would be wiring it to the winch itself instead of the control side of the contactor. I bought the carchet brand on ebay after reading the thread on here in the spring. It is probably the best under $20 purchase I've made for the pioneer.
Mine came with a wiring guide, but it's pretty straight forward as long as you keep the wiring on the control side(small wires) of the contactor. I connected the power(12v+) to the + on my second battery. Some guys use the key on lead for this ( I'll change mine to this method in the future) I grounded it with the contactor ground and the other 2 wires control out and in. You have a 50/50 chance getting them right and just reverse them if it's wrong. The blue wire on mine is the antennae and it just lays in there out of the way. My picture above is about the best I could get also because the wiring is on the bottom of the contactor.
The key on power is a good idea! I may have to do that..

J

JTW

It’s been a year and a half since I did mine.. as I’ve thought about it. It was the unit not working that gave me issues (Obviously).. not the wiring. I had wiring issues because the box didn’t work. I swapped things around and around until I finally ordered another remote and it all went smooth.

advertisement