Anyone use a high visibility flag on a pole?

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not sure what they're called--those (usually orange) high visibility flags attached to a long (fiberglass?) pole attached somewhere on their SXS? Because I intend to drive on some of the local wildlife management areas to do my birding, I'd think it'd be prudent to alert my presence to potential hunters in the area. Good/dumb idea? Other suggestions? I'm sure hunters in the area will hear me when I'm driving since these things aren't exactly silent. But once I find a spot to park and wait for birds, how else will hunters know I'm there? I guess wearing high visibility clothing would also be prudent too?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can't comment on the flag, but as a hunter..... I'd say don't drive where hunters are hunting. Kind of a rude move......unless it's like a deal you guys have or something. Again from a hunter's view....we walk silently into an area we are hunting. Wouldn't the walk in approach help you as a watcher also?

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Regarding the walk in approach, I have limited mobility -- bad knees and a worse hip -- hence the SXS to get me to places I otherwise couldn't get to. The other aspect, from a hunter's perspective. I'm not a hunter, so I honestly don't think of those kinds of things. I appreciate you bringing them to my attention. Maybe post a temporary sign at the entrance stating there's a photographer out there? But there's usually more than one entrance. I didn't even consider hunter's already being there, and me inadvertently scaring off their prey. I think "don't go where hunters hunt" may be going a little too far. I'm seriously not trying to be flippant or sarcastic. I would think those areas would be prime areas for bird/wildlife photography, if I can do it safely. Any other suggestions or insights? Being a city boy, I'm honestly curious.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One thing I also didn't mention, as I currently bird around the perimeter of wildlife management areas. I've noticed, if there's a hunter there, there will be a vehicle parked at the entrance. I guess a good rule of thumb, as a non-outdoorsman, is if I see a vehicle parked there, then don't go in. Makes sense, no? Also, hunting season isn't 365 days a year. I know different animal hunting seasons may overlap, but there's lots of times when there's not active hunting season at all.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm on a lease with friends who deer hunt. After a stroke, I can't hold the rifle.

I don't ride during deer season. They give me a much reduced fee.

Since I first had an ATV, Honda 300 FourTrax in 1997, whether by myself or with a group, including avid hunters, wherever we stopped for a sandwich break..... Deer would walk up to investigate, very curious nature. And, friends who farm and have excavation companies, say the same thing. Deer aren't afraid, but really curious.

But, hunters want to hunt as fishermen want to fish, not have motors and activity in that area. Understandable.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
One thing I also didn't mention, as I currently bird around the perimeter of wildlife management areas. I've noticed, if there's a hunter there, there will be a vehicle parked at the entrance. I guess a good rule of thumb, as a non-outdoorsman, is if I see a vehicle parked there, then don't go in. Makes sense, no? Also, hunting season isn't 365 days a year. I know different animal hunting seasons may overlap, but there's lots of times when there's not active hunting season at all.

Yep.... You nailed it. It would be common courtesy if you know someone is out there hunting to not go riding in with your sxs. Kind of like you wouldn't go zipping by a guy fishing from shore if you were in a boat. And, if you walk in be sure to wear plenty of blaze orange. You wouldn't believe how many dumb ass hunters still shoot at moving bushes. Another yep.... there's hunting seasons and guys wait all year to get out there and hunt..... possibly years/decades if it's a lottery system. You would be wise to stop by a place that sells hunting licenses and ask for a free regulations book. The dates will be in there. It sounds to me like you have it figured out but you never know these days with some folks. Accidents still happen and hunters can be very hard core. It's why I only hunt my own land. I wouldn't dare risk my life on public land during hunting season.

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wear plenty of hunter orange. A good hunter should always be sure of what he’s shooting at and you have as much right to be there as anyone if it’s public land. The problem is that not every hunter is a safe hunter so on the safe side I’d give them as much room as you feel is safe. I use mine mainly for hunting and I live in sxs country. Because fall is one of the best times to ride we get used to the traffic. It’s just something you have to deal with on public land. It would be best if you had some idea of the seasons and you could prob down load the state fish and game app real easy. Some seasons don’t require hunter orange. Dif seasons use dif weapons. Dif weapons mean dif safe distances. The flag is just going to end up in a tree somewhere

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All great thoughts and opinions. As a non-hunting city boy, I didn't consider most of these. Thanks for the input folks. I'll definitely be a lot safer now than I would've been.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wear plenty of hunter orange. A good hunter should always be sure of what he’s shooting at and you have as much right to be there as anyone if it’s public land.
Yep, that’s the way it should be but….🤔😂

Reactions: SmittyOne

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!