P500 Are 2017/8 P5's only marginally better on suspension?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
27" tires, 14" rims, I ran 5 lbs air front and rear and when pushed harder on those rocky trails I bottomed out alot and nose dived heavy a few times but I'm a big guy. I'm on the fence on buying WE shocks when I'm not 100% sure about the result after. Everyone that said they had them said they were an improvement however everyone also said they were sore and tired after a long day's ride at the takeover. So if that's the case, stock shocks vs WE shocks might improve ride quality but due to travel size and limitations of suspension, I don't think its gonna be a night and day better ride. jmho

Having the WE's on the front made for a softer ride which is what i wanted. I had them two clicks from the softest setting for RRB, I bottomed out and nose dived quite a bit too, to be expected I guess, but having that softer front end made it feel like the tires had better contact with the ground and articulated a little better. Hoping the rears feel the same.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Did you play with pressure or try the swaybar?

You have width restrictions?
yes on width....there are mostly 50" trails here, and I want to stay at this width.....I dropped pressure to 8 psi....I have read some go to 5 or 6, so that remains in my back pocket......have not done anything with the swaybar.....does that improve ride softness, or just change handling characteristics?

Vaden01

Vaden01

Jul 4, 2018
Callahan, FL.
Ownership

1. 500
yes on width....there are mostly 50" trails here, and I want to stay at this width.....I dropped pressure to 8 psi....I have read some go to 5 or 6, so that remains in my back pocket......have not done anything with the swaybar.....does that improve ride softness, or just change handling characteristics?
Disconnect that sway bar. Makes big difference in ride stiffness and articulation.
Run 5lbs up front and 6lbs in rear tire pressures. 26 inch tires on mine.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
To those that say you’ll never have a smooth ride.... disagree. Radials 26-27” tall by 11” wide on 12” rims (mine are 5-2s) same width all corners 5psi air and Elka Stage 3s on all corners = pillowy controlled smooth ride, much much improved over stock. Expensive... well in Canada yup, but worth the effort for sure MO.
Cheers,
j

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
To those that say you’ll never have a smooth ride.... disagree. Radials 26-27” tall by 11” wide on 12” rims (mine are 5-2s) same width all corners 5psi air and Elka Stage 3s on all corners = pillowy controlled smooth ride, much much improved over stock. Expensive... well in Canada yup, but worth the effort for sure MO.
Cheers,
j
I feel the harsh ride on the p5 is due more to the small tires than the suspension. Not saying the suspension can’t be improved with shocks but tires help a lot.

Reactions: trigger
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I have at 2015 P5 and I love that little beast and I just deal with the harsh ride but my question is how do so many of you people use the word P5 and suspension in the same sentence?

The P500's don't ride great, but anything is better than a POS Mule 610 or Teryx :D (POS meant for both Kawasucki's)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!