P500 Are 2017/8 P5's only marginally better on suspension?

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I have read with great interest the threads on the relatively harsh ride of the 2014/6 P5's....and looked at the videos of the WE shock comparisons to OEM...........Honda says they made an improvement to the stock shocks starting in 2017....Do owners of the 2017/8 units find the ride still rather jarring, or is there a noticeable improvement? Would the cost of WE shocks still be worth it on the newer models? thanks.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have read with great interest the threads on the relatively harsh ride of the 2014/6 P5's....and looked at the videos of the WE shock comparisons to OEM...........Honda says they made an improvement to the stock shocks starting in 2017....Do owners of the 2017/8 units find the ride still rather jarring, or is there a noticeable improvement? Would the cost of WE shocks still be worth it on the newer models? thanks.
Good Question

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I own a 2017 P500, I turned the shocks down to the lowest setting....I find it to be a "softer ride" and more comfortable for me....I'm 64 and I call myself and easy rider.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I own a 2017 P500, I turned the shocks down to the lowest setting....I find it to be a "softer ride" and more comfortable for me....I'm 64 and I call myself and easy rider.
thanks for the reply....I am 80, and would like to be an "easy rider" if the machine will let me be.....hah.....

I will put on the WE shocks if I have to, but they are pricey.....

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I saw someone state that they thought the newer shocks rode slightly better.. @Buford maybe? I Believe they also lose a touch of ground clearance. A good set of aftermarket taller radials will help a lot, but at the end of the day, it's a short, narrow machine with not a lot of travel.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I saw someone state that they thought the newer shocks rode slightly better.. @Buford maybe? I Believe they also lose a touch of ground clearance. A good set of aftermarket taller radials will help a lot, but at the end of the day, it's a short, narrow machine with not a lot of travel.
My assumption is that there may be a modest improvement, but that the ride will still be relatively rough......relative to, say, a Polaris Razor...I didn't want a Polaris because I have seen too many issues with their tranny and dust-caused engine problems....the Honda is the right machine for me, but I will probably have to change shocks....about $1200 for all four, I think.........ouch..

Reactions: Chooglin
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It sound like part of the problem is very few people have ridden all the options back to back.
I would guess that purchasing a set of OEM shocks is rather pricey but there are many dealers still showing old stock units available.
Selecting a newer unit to get the shocks might hide the cost.

What we really need to do is get @jay_man81 a set of shocks or lend him a vehicle to make the definitive side by side by side test.
And to assign a value to the various upgrades.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Another thing is air pressure. I see guys talking about running 15 psi in these and it just blows my mind...esp for an easy rider. Last ride I ran 5/5 Front/Rear and may go down to 4 rear...and would do the same up front if it didn't make the steering so heavy.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 p5 is alright, yeah I would like for it soak up more bumps, etc but for a machine this light I expect it to be a little rough. Seems to ride more smoothly when I’m hauling a#% with the skinny pedal hugging the floor lol.

Reactions: DG Rider
U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Another thing is air pressure. I see guys talking about running 15 psi in these and it just blows my mind...esp for an easy rider. Last ride I ran 5/5 Front/Rear and may go down to 4 rear...and would do the same up front if it didn't make the steering so heavy.
I have duly noted your comment on tire pressure.....I will probably get down to that 5 area....I am having PS installed so the steering should be all right......

Reactions: DG Rider
advertisement
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
The aftermarket shocks you are referring to are not designed for a smoother ride . If your riding HARD and bottoming out you need them if not , the best you can do is set your shocks at softest and run whatever tires you have as low on pressure as you can . That's it . P5s are short and narrow . Shocks are almost vertical . They will never ride very soft . Sorry

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
It’s a rough riding machine no matter what. Came from a 15 to a 17 and no difference. Just how it is.
thanks for that reply.....you have the comparison I was looking for.....I will set the 2018 shocks at the softest setting, and if it is too rough for my wife, the options of taller tires, less psi, and better shocks are still there....thanks to all.....

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
27" tires, 14" rims, I ran 5 lbs air front and rear and when pushed harder on those rocky trails I bottomed out alot and nose dived heavy a few times but I'm a big guy. I'm on the fence on buying WE shocks when I'm not 100% sure about the result after. Everyone that said they had them said they were an improvement however everyone also said they were sore and tired after a long day's ride at the takeover. So if that's the case, stock shocks vs WE shocks might improve ride quality but due to travel size and limitations of suspension, I don't think its gonna be a night and day better ride. jmho

Reactions: trigger
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
27" tires, 14" rims, I ran 5 lbs air front and rear and when pushed harder on those rocky trails I bottomed out alot and nose dived heavy a few times but I'm a big guy. I'm on the fence on buying WE shocks when I'm not 100% sure about the result after. Everyone that said they had them said they were an improvement however everyone also said they were sore and tired after a long day's ride at the takeover. So if that's the case, stock shocks vs WE shocks might improve ride quality but due to travel size and limitations of suspension, I don't think its gonna be a night and day better ride. jmho
My 2017 rides pretty good as long as speed is kept reasonable and the wife doesn't complain that means a lot

Reactions: lowtidejoe
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have at 2015 P5 and I love that little beast and I just deal with the harsh ride but my question is how do so many of you people use the word P5 and suspension in the same sentence?

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 rides pretty good as long as speed is kept reasonable and the wife doesn't complain that means a lot
I took my 2018 on some medium to rough trails yesterday, and I can live with the less than smooth ride....I love the way the tranny responds both on upshifts and downshifts....soooo much better than cvt....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I took my 2018 on some medium to rough trails yesterday, and I can live with the less than smooth ride....I love the way the tranny responds both on upshifts and downshifts....soooo much better than cvt....
Did you play with pressure or try the swaybar?

You have width restrictions?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!