futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I know of three P5s (one is mine, have seen another, and know of one other) whose ROPS is installed incorrectly, resulting in possible increased weakness in the event of a rollover.

The ROPS, at the two front points, may not be seated fully and correctly at its attachment points to the lower frame. The two sections should fully 'sandwich together', if you will. There should be two bolts connecting the top and bottom together at each point. (The rear attachment points are easier to see). The issue is only one bolt (the top one) is connecting them.

Visually, there should be approximately 1/2" of flat stock exposed (looking at it from the exterior). An incorrect assembly as I've described will result in about 2" of flat stock exposed. Also, a gap can be seen where the two 'half sections' do not meet.

I will attach pics, which admittedly are not very good. Hopefully @KyGal83 can share her pics again.

Please check your machines, whether P5 or not.

Correct:
20240118 142527

20240118 142545

Incorrect:
20240118 142439

20240118 142339

The cloth straps are covering much of the flat stock in the 'incorrect' pics; hopefully you get the point.

Perhaps someone can post a diagram of the correct assembly and 'pairing'.

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Yes, only one bolt doing anything.

I think the bottom bolt is the one doing nothing. There is an empty hole at top in pics. That one needs to be aligned, with the top bolt in it. Bottom bolt needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Last edited:
KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Am I seeing it correctly?
Looks like only 1 bolt is connecting the 2 units.
Top bolt is a false connection.
Leaving a 3rd hole below.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yes, only one bolt doing anything.

I think the bottom bolt is the one doing nothing. There is an empty hole at top in pics. That one needs to be aligned, with the top bolt in it. Bottom bolt needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Yep.. Same issue as mine.

With the incorrect assembly.. one bolt is holding the ROPS to the frame on each side. The bolt is installed thru the tabs that should be on each side of the connecting tubes and not bolted thru the tubes themselves.

Let me find my pictures and I have a schematic that shows the proper installation. Be back soon.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Here are the schematics from the manual ..

As you can see.. the ROPS tab extending from the ROPS tube should be seated beside the frame tub and the tab from the frame should be seated beside the ROPS tube. Then all the bolt holes align and 2 bolts secure it all in place. A very sound design providing extra strength at the union.

However, Futzin new buggy, my buggy and another member here (not sure if he would like to be tagged) all had one bolt thru the tabs and NOT 2 bolts thru the tubs & tabs as designed. This creates a weak point in the attachment.IMG 7588IMG 7587

Last edited:
KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Here are my photos and the link to how I made my correction.

Before (showing) the gap:

IMG 0905

AFTER:

IMG 0914

Before Side view showing flat tube:
IMG 0906

After correction:

IMG 0915

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here are the schematics from the manual ..

View attachment 415283View attachment 415284

As you can see.. the ROPS tab extending from the ROPS tube should be seated beside the frame tub and the tab from the frame should be seated beside the ROPS tube. Then all the bolt holes align and 2 bolts secure it all in place. A very sound design providing extra strength at the union.

However, Futzin new buggy, my buggy and another member here (not sure if he would like to be tagged) all had one bolt thru the tabs and NOT 2 bolts thru the tubs & tabs as designed. This creates a weak point in the attachment.
Didn't you say this made the machine look crooked?

KyGal83

KyGal83

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't you say this made the machine look crooked?
Yep.. because the roof and the windshield neither one would install correctly. Looked wonky.. and felt it. Always appeared it was leaning toward the passenger side.

IMG 7590

IMG 7589

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!