BOX1

Arizona Peace Trail, 6 day loop ride, Lake Havasu riding North, Clockwise. Jan 14 - 20, 2022.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If only Louisiana had something like this. I’ve told my wife a few times that the state should put an ATV trail down the median of I-49 between Alexandria and Shreveport. They’d make a killing on ride fees. That would be good riding!! Flat as a pancake where I live. One hour north and small hills begin.

in the future I want to make king rides like this with friends.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
If only Louisiana had something like this. I’ve told my wife a few times that the state should put an ATV trail down the median of I-49 between Alexandria and Shreveport. They’d make a killing on ride fees. That would be good riding!! Flat as a pancake where I live. One hour north and small hills begin.

in the future I want to make king rides like this with friends.
I lived in the Lake Charles area for some time and used to ride the ATV trails in Kisatchie Forest. Not many places to ride a SXS.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I lived in the Lake Charles area for some time and used to ride the ATV trails in Kisatchie Forest. Not many places to ride a SXS.
We are definitely limited! We ride Kisatchie when they decide to open it! Mostly Sandstone. Otherwise we travel to arkansas or somewhere else. Sometimes as alternative to Kisatchie we go to Sabine Park. They have some good elevation changes there and actually several decent trails. It's not all mud.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice write up and great pictures! Thank you for sharing.

I saw you mentioned that you had stock tires on your Talon and that you think taller tires would have been better in one section. Did you want it for more floatation, more clearance or both?

I'm running 27" on a P520 and want to make sure that its not going to be a disaster for me. I'm good with struggling a bit to get through the rough stuff, I see that as part of the fun. But if the going gets really tough, my wife may not like it as much.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob, I completed the roughest trail in our area with the stock 27’s. This was after the fearless leader in our group of Polaris riders sent out a notice to all that minimum requirements were 29’s. That part of the trail would have been a piece of cake for a 500. Later on, some of the rock faces we had to climb would have been a struggle for a 500. That is what winches are for.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the info. I suspect I underestimate the true capability of the 500/520 all of the time.

Do you think the rock faces would be tough because of the gearing or wheelbase?

Rob

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I suspect I underestimate the true capability of the 500/520 all of the time.

Do you think the rock faces would be tough because of the gearing or wheelbase?

Rob
Rob, I don’t know much about the 500/520’s do they have the type of trans as the 700’s with a torque converter? With my 1000 I have to bump some of the rock faces just to get started while in low range. Wheelbase might also be an issue. The videos and photos of the AZPT haven’t shown situations where either would be a problem. The photo is on one of our local difficult trails and is not the hardest section. The 1000 has a low range and I wish it were lower for this type of riding.
63A1A37E DBFE 4660 A210 BF895B7E63A9

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

The transmission on the 500/520 is very different from the 700. If I understand things correctly, the 700 has more of an automotive/automatic transmission where the 500 series has a true manual, (5 gears with a very low 1st gear) but with a centrifugal clutch. I can't compare the two from experience, but I can tell you the low gear in the 500 machines engages very quickly and will really walk up a hill given enough traction.

Wheelbase is a concern, as the 500s are pretty small. But as you noted, a winch is an easy fix for most difficult situations.

Thanks for the picture... 3-wheeling is always a fun experience!

Rob

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,

The transmission on the 500/520 is very different from the 700. If I understand things correctly, the 700 has more of an automotive/automatic transmission where the 500 series has a true manual, (5 gears with a very low 1st gear) but with a centrifugal clutch. I can't compare the two from experience, but I can tell you the low gear in the 500 machines engages very quickly and will really walk up a hill given enough traction.

Wheelbase is a concern, as the 500s are pretty small. But as you noted, a winch is an easy fix for most difficult situations.

Thanks for the picture... 3-wheeling is always a fun experience!

Rob
Later on that same hill was some 2 wheeling.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!