P700 Audiophile Help Needed

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm in the process of designing an audio system for my 700. I don't want flash but rather simple function. I'm fond of SSV Works products designs yet find their speakers lacking. It appears SSV is discontinuing the sale of empty speaker enclosures and only selling them with speakers, either theirs, Bazooka or Kicker. No offense to those out there that own Bazooka and Kicker speakers-they're quite sturdy but I'm of the opinion that there are better sounding speakers, though maybe not louder.

I just ordered SSV's front 6.5" speaker enclosures which mount under the dash at the sides at a 45 degree angle; they look factory! I also ordered their 10" subwoofer under-seat enclosure. Because they're being discontinued they're half price on Amazon. I'm leaning toward Fusion SG-F65W front speakers and an SG-S10W sub.. I have this setup in my pontoon boat (although 4.1, not 2.1); it sounds excellent and has held up well over the past 2 years (they only come in white but I'd paint them dull charcoal to match the dash). I've also been eyeing speakers from Infinity and Rockford Fosgate (which conveniently come in black!). I've got to admit that I'm more familiar with non-marine rated brands and was wondering if anyone has speaker suggestions, sticking with 6.5" 2 way fronts and a 10" sub., marine rated?

I also purchased a Fusion 1600 watt 5 channel SG-DA51600 amp. which will give me 250W X 2 for the mains and another 250W X 1 for the sub. at <1% THD, enough for me. Found an open box on e-bay for $380. Where's the best place to mount it?

I want the smallest footprint for a controller I can get and was thinking about incorporating the Wet Sounds WW-BT RS, which will fit in one of the Carling-style cutouts on the Honda's switch plate. I like the idea of not having to drill/cut into my pretty new Pioneer to mount a head unit. This little controller even has a trigger for the amp.! My I-phone will be my audio source.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble at this stage. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Buy once, cry once!

Thanks!

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Strongly considering JL Audio M650-CCX-SG-TB mains and JL 10" 91734 sub. Great reviews, styling and color fit the Pioneer.

Reactions: swsebek
MikeG

MikeG

Dec 30, 2017
Baton Rouge LA.
Ownership

1. 700-2
If your phone will be the source then I would just use Rockford Fosgates RFBTRCA.
It's a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the input of the amp so no type of head unit is needed

Reactions: junior1954
junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
If your phone will be the source then I would just use Rockford Fosgates RFBTRCA.
It's a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the input of the amp so no type of head unit is needed

An interesting dongle-thanks! I also appreciate the "less is more" approach. I would still need a switch to control the amp.. I've ordered the Wet Sounds WW-BT RS-it not only has an amp trigger but also fills one of the 4 switch holes on the accessory switch plate and adds a more convenient way to control tunes on the go.

I also ordered the above above referenced JL Audio mains and sub..

Any suggestions for speaker wire?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of designing an audio system for my 700. I don't want flash but rather simple function. I'm fond of SSV Works products designs yet find their speakers lacking. It appears SSV is discontinuing the sale of empty speaker enclosures and only selling them with speakers, either theirs, Bazooka or Kicker. No offense to those out there that own Bazooka and Kicker speakers-they're quite sturdy but I'm of the opinion that there are better sounding speakers, though maybe not louder.

I just ordered SSV's front 6.5" speaker enclosures which mount under the dash at the sides at a 45 degree angle; they look factory! I also ordered their 10" subwoofer under-seat enclosure. Because they're being discontinued they're half price on Amazon. I'm leaning toward Fusion SG-F65W front speakers and an SG-S10W sub.. I have this setup in my pontoon boat (although 4.1, not 2.1); it sounds excellent and has held up well over the past 2 years (they only come in white but I'd paint them dull charcoal to match the dash). I've also been eyeing speakers from Infinity and Rockford Fosgate (which conveniently come in black!). I've got to admit that I'm more familiar with non-marine rated brands and was wondering if anyone has speaker suggestions, sticking with 6.5" 2 way fronts and a 10" sub., marine rated?

I also purchased a Fusion 1600 watt 5 channel SG-DA51600 amp. which will give me 250W X 2 for the mains and another 250W X 1 for the sub. at <1% THD, enough for me. Found an open box on e-bay for $380. Where's the best place to mount it?

I want the smallest footprint for a controller I can get and was thinking about incorporating the Wet Sounds WW-BT RS, which will fit in one of the Carling-style cutouts on the Honda's switch plate. I like the idea of not having to drill/cut into my pretty new Pioneer to mount a head unit. This little controller even has a trigger for the amp.! My I-phone will be my audio source.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble at this stage. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Buy once, cry once!

Thanks!

I had a fiberglass enclosure on my 700 that weighed about 55lbs sounded good but heavy.

C5179f0900d0434d4591130694a51139

I’m going with the WetSounds Surge 6, Ww-BT RS, and AS-8 sub.

Total it’s about 30lbs and 20 of it will be mounted low. Little weak on the midrange but it sounds really good and actually is IP-67 rated which is pretty good.

Reactions: junior1954
junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had a fiberglass enclosure on my 700 that weighed about 55lbs sounded good but heavy.

View attachment 60989

Total it’s about 30lbs and 20 of it will be mounted low. Little weak on the midrange but it sounds really good and actually is IP-67 rated which is pretty good.

I agree with your concern about weight, especially up high. The SSV enclosures are slightly larger than each speaker and weigh about 1/2 lb. ea.. Mounting them under-dash keeps weight down and minimizes the cantilever effect of weight up high. I also want the option of being able to remove the roof without any adverse consequences, although I probably never will!

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Take pictures when completed, please.

Sure. It's going to be a couple three months before I install it but I'll take photos. It's been cold here in the midwest and my garage is unheated. In the meantime I'll forward some shots of the components uninstalled if you'd like. Everything is on its' way.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 60989

I wonder if setting the frequency on the AS-8's low pass filter higher would allow it to pick up more mid-range?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!