P1000 Auxiliary battery and electrical system installed.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure.
These tail light's going out and switch LED's going out seemed to be linked to large relays like the Stinger or Cole.
I would to avoid voltage spikes.

This topic has not been discussed much.
After a little research it seems like a common problem and the solution is like $10 bucks so why not just do it and not worry about it. I had a question about the dpdt fan in/out rocker switch though. When the switch is in the middle position there isn't anything lite up. Is that normal. I figured the fan symbol would be lite up all the time but it's not. Now when you flip the switch either direction the fan symbol lights up along with which ever way you switch it to.

Reactions: NewHere2 and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm not sure.
These tail light's going out and switch LED's going out seemed to be linked to large relays like the Stinger or Cole.
I would to avoid voltage spikes.

This topic has not been discussed much.
I haven't had any issues with my CH/DPDT setup, but thanks for the heads up - will look into this.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you very much! Yeah I did a little research and I am going to go ahead and install the diode. Apparently it is pretty common and the diode is less than half the price of 1 rocker switch so I figure what the heck can it hurt! I'd never heard of it either, but then I am definitely no electronics and wiring guru either! Other than gear jamming and working on this damn semi, my other strong suit is welding and fabrication. Worked in a welding/ fabrication shop for several years starting with what should have been my senior year in high school but decided making money and working was more important than finishing school. What a dumb bass I was then, because heck with this economy we'll have plenty of time to work. I think I have to work until noon on the day they toss me in the dirt.
I haven't heard of the power spikes either, but ....... since you've done the research would you mind sharing your finding regarding the diode? I'm guessing it's installed inline ??

Thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you very much! Yeah I did a little research and I am going to go ahead and install the diode. Apparently it is pretty common and the diode is less than half the price of 1 rocker switch so I figure what the heck can it hurt! I'd never heard of it either, but then I am definitely no electronics and wiring guru either! Other than gear jamming and working on this damn semi, my other strong suit is welding and fabrication. Worked in a welding/ fabrication shop for several years starting with what should have been my senior year in high school but decided making money and working was more important than finishing school. What a dumb bass I was then, because heck with this economy we'll have plenty of time to work. I think I have to work until noon on the day they toss me in the dirt.
As a welder/fabricator and with today’s entitled soy boy snowflake generations, you’ll be able to name your price anywhere you want to live. My career was in an office, easy work but really frustrating for this hands on tool guy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't heard of the power spikes either, but ....... since you've done the research would you mind sharing your finding regarding the diode? I'm guessing it's installed inline ??

Thanks
Check out the link Hondasxs posted in post #15.

R

Red B

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changing the subject a little...Did you add the snorkel before this install? And does it have another purpose other than to add room for the fuse box? FYI, I'm new to Hondas.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
Sorry I just seen this, been one of the days! Yes it just goes in between ground and the exite wire poles(the 2 small polls) on the solenoid. I guess my best explanation is it works like a check valve and won't allow the current spike to go back.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changing the subject a little...Did you add the snorkel before this install? And does it have another purpose other than to add room for the fuse box? FYI, I'm new to Hondas.
Yes added it b4. And it gets the air intake up a little higher and the 16 model year had a bad design on the cover that was allowing water in.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The pos cable from the main batt to the isolator is laying over the battery bracket. Laying over the sharp edges of the bracket wouldn't take much vibration to have a direct short to ground... un-fused. Could do some major... like burn it to the ground... type damage.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pos cable from the main batt to the isolator is laying over the battery bracket. Laying over the sharp edges of the bracket wouldn't take much vibration to have a direct short to ground... un-fused. Could do some major... like burn it to the ground... type damage.
It doesn't touch the bracket anywhere. There is some bend in the terminals to hold it up and the pic was taken before I put braided shield on it.

Reactions: cntryby and CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It doesn't touch the bracket anywhere. There is some bend in the terminals to hold it up and the pic was taken before I put braided shield on it.
If you were even remotely worried, you could loosen the nut on the relay, rotate the lug terminal about 15-20 degrees, then tighten it. Would not touch anything at that point.

Reactions: cntryby

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!