Axles

bp1000x4red

bp1000x4red

Jan 24, 2021
richton mississppi
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just ordered a set of 32 motohavoks and having some friends tell me that I should go ahead and buy new axles. Wanted to hop on here to see if anyone with aggressive tires has had a problem with breaking axles?

Reactions: Blownzuki
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have yet to see anyone post a broken Talon axle but I have seen numerous u-joint driveshaft failures. Tack welding the end caps seems like the way to go to keep it together.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just ordered a set of 32 motohavoks and having some friends tell me that I should go ahead and buy new axles. Wanted to hop on here to see if anyone with aggressive tires has had a problem with breaking axles?
Never seen any hints of a broken axle on a Talon either (just a few bent ones from hitting something). Is this friendly advice coming from fellow Talon owners? If so, can they be a little more specific and tell you why they made that recommendation?

bp1000x4red

bp1000x4red

Jan 24, 2021
richton mississppi
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Never seen any hints of a broken axle on a Talon either (just a few bent ones from hitting something). Is this friendly advice coming from fellow Talon owners? If so, can they be a little more specific and tell you why they made that recommendation?
Coming from a friend with a rzr. i figured the stock axles on a talon were very good considering at many dealers they sell them off the lot with 35-37s.

Reactions: Blownzuki
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
the main one comin for me has a rzr 900. he's broken all 4 axles in the past 2 weeks and burnt up a belt! couldn't be me lol
Coming from a friend with a rzr. i figured the stock axles on a talon were very good considering at many dealers they sell them off the lot with 35-37s.
Well that explains everything. DO NOT take your mechanical advice from a RZR owner, their perspective of a reliable machine has been drastically skewed.

SubseaCowboy

SubseaCowboy

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2020
Elgin, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have heard good things about Demon Axles if anyone is looking for a good heavy aftermarket axle. Brett with AA Offroad is a dealer and can hook you up with some. He doesn't have them on the website yet, but I know he has a pile of them in stock. www.aaoffroad.com

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I haven't heard of any axle issues with honda. I run 32s on mine no problem at all.
If you want to buy a completely bad ass set of axles give Jamie Campbell at RACECO a call he has 300m units they are freaking nice!!!!!!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you want to buy a completely bad ass set of axles give Jamie Campbell at RACECO a call he has 300m units they are freaking nice!!!!!!!
As far as I understand it RACECO is only selling the RCV 300m shafts. No CVs are included in the kit.

If your snapping the axle shafts themselves, the RACECO 300m shafts are just going to move the failure point to a different location like the ring & pinion or subtrans. I honestly don't see the advantage of running anything other than stock Honda shafts and CV's. They are beefy and cheap and easy to replace vs the next thing(s) in line...

My .02

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
As far as I understand it RACECO is only selling the RCV 300m shafts. No CVs are included in the kit.

If your snapping the axle shafts themselves, the RACECO 300m shafts are just going to move the failure point to a different location like the ring & pinion or subtrans. I honestly don't see the advantage of running anything other than stock Honda shafts and CV's. They are beefy and cheap and easy to replace vs the next thing(s) in line...

My .02
I stated I have never heard of anyone braking a honda axle. But If you was looking for axles RACECO sold 300m units thats all.

H

HondaTech

Weve only ever busted the joints while racing if the car hits something hard enough to knock the wheel off.

Other than those, we've never had a "failed" axle. In fact my GMs rear axle has been making noise for quite a while now and its never given us trouble.

Ive cant say ive replaced a Talon axle except for ones customers have complained of being noisy. They were probably never going to fail, but if Honda is paying for it, ill replace it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!