P1000 Axon Winch Install on 1000-5 LE...it's a journey UPDATE 1 in OP

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So, I'm installing a Axon 45S on my 1000-5 LE. There are a few modifications that need to be made, come on in and follow along or give me advice along the way...

1. Fairlead from the backside
IMG 20190916 203753

2. Fairlead from the front
IMG 20190916 203626

3. Whoops, we have a clearance issue...with the spool release on the passenger side, this is the spot where it conflicts with the front bash plate.
IMG 20190916 210936

4. Closeup. Winch gets marked up trying to fit it. I would suggest painter's tape on all contact surfaces to avoid this if you care.
IMG 20190916 212303

5. I flipped the winch to have the spool on the driver side. Does anyone know if this is a problem for the winch or its operation? The winch rope is coming off the top.
IMG 20190916 212843

I'll update as I get time to keep working.

UPDATE!

I spoke with Warn's technical support team this morning. They are going to send me some updated information for mounting the AXON in the 1000-5 LE.

BUT, they were very clear that you should not "respool" the rope and switch the power input. Their reasoning is that when you do this you will be working against the internal brake. Also, to keep this in perspective, the "bottom" of the winch is the mounting bolt side. The rope must be spooled so it comes from the "bottom/mounting bolt" side of the winch--no matter if the winch is right side up or mounted upside down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I'm installing a Axon 45S on my 1000-5 LE. There are a few modifications that need to be made, come on in and follow along or give me advice along the way...

View attachment 156103

View attachment 156105

3. Whoops, we have a clearance issue...with the spool release on the passenger side, this is the spot where it conflicts with the front bash plate.
View attachment 156106

4. Closeup. Winch gets marked up trying to fit it. I would suggest painter's tape on all contact surfaces to avoid this if you care.
View attachment 156108

5. I flipped the winch to have the spool on the driver side. Does anyone know if this is a problem for the winch or its operation? The winch rope is coming off the top.
View attachment 156109

Sweet I want one of them on rear !

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 156103

View attachment 156105

View attachment 156106

View attachment 156108

View attachment 156109

You want the rope coming off the bottom. Just spool it out and run it in the other way. You'll have to reverse the wires so that IN and OUT are correct on the switch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You want the rope coming off the bottom. Just spool it out and run it in the other way. You'll have to reverse the wires so that IN and OUT are correct on the switch.

Exactly. The winch will be fine mounted upside down, that is the way warn recommends it to be mounted for the p1k

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

So just switch the wires at the winch connection?

Reactions: ohanacreek
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So just switch the wires at the winch connection?

I put this in the OP as well:
UPDATE!

I spoke with Warn's technical support team this morning. They are going to send me some updated information for mounting the AXON in the 1000-5 LE.

BUT, they were very clear that you should not "respool" the rope and switch the power input. Their reasoning is that when you do this you will be working against the internal brake. Also, to keep this in perspective, the "bottom" of the winch is the mounting bolt side. The rope must be spooled so it comes from the "bottom/mounting bolt" side of the winch--no matter if the winch is right side up or mounted upside down.

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE!

Here are some shots from the Warn installation info showing the clearance that needs to be cut for the Axon 45S full drum and how the short drum version fits without cuts:

Axon 45S Full drum clearance:

Warn clearance

Axon short drum appears to fit! The additional Warn info I received says "minimal griding, if at all" to get the short drum to fit.
Warn short drum

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UPDATE!

If you mount the winch upside down but also turn it 180degrees aka end for end. It will still pull off the spool the same. The release will be on the opposite side.

I did this with my vrx 45s

I was under the impression that the brake works the same in either direction. Perhaps the axion is different.

If you switch end for end no wiring change is needed.

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fwiw I have run several in reverse and never had an issue...brake worked just fine.

Reactions: sharp
R

RedRiverRider

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 156103

View attachment 156105

View attachment 156106

View attachment 156108

View attachment 156109

UPDATE!

I heard you needed a second battery to use a winch on the 1000-5. Something about the clutch slipping, is this true?

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I heard you needed a second battery to use a winch on the 1000-5. Something about the clutch slipping, is this true?

I just got mine installed and working, so I don't have enough use in it yet to know. I am planning on adding a second battery in the near future.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!