BOX1

Backwards winching

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
To be honest, I have never used a winch to get unstuck before. I have used them for loading vehicles on trailers, and lifting/dragging logs out of the woods. Before getting the 700, all my off road ventures were on a dirt bike. Or in a pickup truck, but I was usually the one that pulled out the other vehicles with chains/straps etc.

Revisit past Sunday, took the 700 down the local power line trail, new to me. Long story short, I found out why the trail leading up to this;
20190602 135629

Was overgrown and less traveled. Needless to say it was also the end of the trail. I stepped out the driver's side door into about 3' of water, with peat moss, grass, and a Honda floating on top.

Stupid me, had no supplies as this was a "quick ride". Have a winch but nowhere to winch to, all vegetation within 75' or so was no more than about 1" thick and pulled out before moving the rig.

Ended up calling the wife, walking to the closest road, getting yelled at, getting a ride, getting the truck, dragging it out with most of the cables/chains I own. BUT, if I had my 150' length of mule tape with me i could have run the winch cable underneath the rig and pulled back to a pole about 75' behind and uphill of me.

Think it would have worked? I wanted to try it just to see but the wife and kids were in the truck on the trail waiting. Just wanted to get out of there so truck it was.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be honest, I have never used a winch to get unstuck before. I have used them for loading vehicles on trailers, and lifting/dragging logs out of the woods. Before getting the 700, all my off road ventures were on a dirt bike. Or in a pickup truck, but I was usually the one that pulled out the other vehicles with chains/straps etc.

Revisit past Sunday, took the 700 down the local power line trail, new to me. Long story short, I found out why the trail leading up to this;
View attachment 134036
Was overgrown and less traveled. Needless to say it was also the end of the trail. I stepped out the driver's side door into about 3' of water, with peat moss and grass floating on top.

Stupid me, had no supplies as this was a "quick ride". Have a winch but nowhere to winch to, all vegetation within 75' or so was no more than about 1" thick and pulled out before moving the rig.

Ended up calling the wife, walking to the closest road, getting yelled at, getting a ride, getting the truck, dragging it out with most of the cables/chains I own. BUT, if I had my 150' length of mule tape with me i could have run the winch cable underneath the rig and pulled back to a pole about 75' behind and uphill of me.

Think it would have worked? I wanted to try it just to see but the wife and kids were in the truck on the trail waiting. Just wanted to get out of there so truck it was.
I think it would have worked, just keep the tires spinning backwards while winching.

Reactions: BWAF
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you still have to have other vehicles that are bigger than yours with ropes or winching like that, ideal thing is being able to move your winch so you can winch front or back, done this to everything ive had, no doubt there wont be a tree around when you need it in the perfect location. I get front receiver and ball mount from harbor freight and weld it to the winch bracket so you can put it on the front or back, quick connects from amazon they have winch rated ones. the winch mounts are all too low anyway and this allows you to store it in the box out of the crap

Reactions: sharp