Bad gas?

S

Superman17

Apr 1, 2024
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my brand new 2023 p1000-5 Trail has a popping sound through the muffler when after raving up a bit and coming down you can hear a pop? Happens just about every time. The bike sat for a year at the dealer and has 1 mile on it. We fired it up drove it on the trailer and when I got home I put it in the garage 2 weeks ago. I drove it down to the corner of my street and back and I noticed it then and now when I start it in the garage it does it. Could that be bad gas causing that? If so is there an easy way to the fuel out? I bought a cheap siphon pump with a ball but cant get it to work?

thanks for help!

Reactions: TxDoc and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So my brand new 2023 p1000-5 Trail has a popping sound through the muffler when after raving up a bit and coming down you can hear a pop? Happens just about every time. The bike sat for a year at the dealer and has 1 mile on it. We fired it up drove it on the trailer and when I got home I put it in the garage 2 weeks ago. I drove it down to the corner of my street and back and I noticed it then and now when I start it in the garage it does it. Could that be bad gas causing that? If so is there an easy way to the fuel out? I bought a cheap siphon pump with a ball but cant get it to work?

thanks for help!
Does it do it only when reaving it up and letting go of throttle or does it also do it when driving normal.

My P1K has a similar issue but only when reaving it past 4K and letting go of the throttle, it's actually caused by a thin screen attached to the inside of the muffler. It's been rattling/popping since new. Only really noticeable lately since I've altered the exhaust though.

Anyways, might be same issue, might not.....you can always put some fresh gas in it or an addictive, maybe look at the plugs see how they're looking.

Good luck

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Could be just a fouled spark plug.

Try the easy things first.

Try putting a few miles on it and see if it clears up, if no good, try some new spark plugs.

See that, even Superman needs a mechanic.

S

Superman17

Apr 1, 2024
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it happens even when reving Up to 3K then when coming down you hear it. Could plugs be bad with 1 mile on the bike?

Reactions: TxDoc and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
it happens even when reving Up to 3K then when coming down you hear it. Could plugs be bad with 1 mile on the bike?
Yes, if it was started just to move a few feet everyday for a year.....yes. machine doesn't seem to like short runs like that, fowles the plugs

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW

More than 20 years ago, every spring, I had a mower, weed eater, leaf blower, whatever, that would not start. Most times the gas smelled like turpentine.

Took out in, tagged with WSWR.
WON'T START WON'T RUN

They told me to use Sta-bil. I've never had another problem. I always started running it in ATVs and my UTVs. Never a problem. I forgot to run the gas out of one of my Honda generators and after three years, it smelled normal and started fine.

All my friends with bass rigs to house boats run it.

It may be a good insurance policy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Gas will only deteriorate when left in small amounts, like in a carburetor bowl.

Fuel injected engines don't have this problem.

After a year, the gas in your tank may lose some of it's octane but would not be a problem.

Are you having some other type of fuel problem? Possibly, water in the fuel?

S

Superman17

Apr 1, 2024
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems to idle fine…..a little rough at times but ok. Seems more like an engine backfire to me. No check engine lights

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It seems to idle fine…..a little rough at times but ok. Seems more like an engine backfire to me. No check engine lights
Backfiring out of the exhaust, not the intake (air filter) right?

Could need a valve adjustment.

S

Superman17

Apr 1, 2024
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep out the exhaust only when rpm’s are on the way down. Is it possible to post a video here? I’m sure you could hear it on a video

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Could plugs be bad with 1 mile on the bike?
Yes on a SXS not sure on a bike🤔🥳
Is it possible to post a video here? I’m sure you could hear it on a video
yes you can and should. Hard to diagnose things like this without sound. Were kinda throwing darts at it. Could be normal for all we know🤷🏻‍♂️
Make a Vidgea on you phone and post it to LibeTube (YouTube) copy the link and post it here.

Reactions: Jerryg and TxDoc
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Sounds as if it has water in the gas. I see it all the time at work back in the shop

Reactions: TxDoc and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

thanks for help!
hi - congrats on the new ride!!!! Hope you enjoy it.

there is no ez way to get the gas out - siphoning is the way - runner hose and mouthful of fuel right after morning coffee is the best

Is the tank full ? Did you top it off or the dealer?

My recommendation is to get that machine good and hot - like go for a 5 mile burn - somewhere. Then see what ya got.

Don’t start pulling plugs, blah blah blah - this thing is new, take it back to dealer - or maybe you have a buddy that is familiar with these and can listen as well.

It’s under warranty - you can’t hurt it anyway.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
FWIW

More than 20 years ago, every spring, I had a mower, weed eater, leaf blower, whatever, that would not start. Most times the gas smelled like turpentine.

Took out in, tagged with WSWR.
WON'T START WON'T RUN

They told me to use Sta-bil. I've never had another problem. I always started running it in ATVs and my UTVs. Never a problem. I forgot to run the gas out of one of my Honda generators and after three years, it smelled normal and started fine.

All my friends with bass rigs to house boats run it.

It may be a good insurance policy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk
I’m on the opposite end from ya - my stuff starts all the time in the spring for some reason - don’t do crap other than run everything dry - I just drained at least 3 year old pre-mix outta a plastic dirt bike tank - it smelled awful - I put it in my 30 year old JD lawn tractor - fired right up when mixed with a half gallon of 6 month old gas - smells like a good old yz125 running rich mowing the lawn - priceless.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m on the opposite end from ya - my stuff starts all the time in the spring for some reason - don’t do crap other than run everything dry - I just drained at least 3 year old pre-mix outta a plastic dirt bike tank - it smelled awful - I put it in my 30 year old JD lawn tractor - fired right up when mixed with a half gallon of 6 month old gas - smells like a good old yz125 running rich mowing the lawn - priceless.
The 2 stroke stuff I always run dry but anything with a bowl type carb, I'll drop the bowl and leave whatever is in the tank.

Sooner or later that little bit that is left in a bowl type cab will chip off and get sucked into the jetting.

Reactions: CID and TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!